PDA

View Full Version : Sim time in a Logbook

EpsilonVaz
17th Mar 2008, 18:35
I am just wondering if I should add 20 hours I did for my MCC in a 737-300 Level-C simulator to the Total Time on my CV.

I have heard some people say you shouldn't, where as I have also heard the opposite.

Thanks in advance,
EpsilonVaz

Speedbird744
17th Mar 2008, 19:00
To an experienced pilot, logging sim hours doesn't mean much.
But low hours, I have logged sim hours as you can legally count max 50 hrs towards ATPL. Thats FAA, can't remember what it is for the JAA.

Mercenary Pilot
17th Mar 2008, 20:13
It's still only sim time and does NOT count towards total flight hours as far as employment is concerned. However, you can use 100 hours of sim time towards unfreezing your ATPL IIRC. :ok:

finals24
17th Mar 2008, 20:41
MCC hours not allowed as part of the 100 (max) sim hours towards ATPL (500hrs multicrew) issue.

Arfur Feck-Sake
17th Mar 2008, 20:52
I definitely wouldn't include sim time in total time. I list it separately on my CV but only time spent in an approved sim for a recognised course of training such as MCC, type rating, etc..

Mercenary Pilot
17th Mar 2008, 21:09
MCC hours not allowed as part of the 100 (max) sim hours towards ATPL (500hrs multicrew) issue.

I've never heard that before? I'm not saying you're wrong though, All I found in LASORS was...

A maximum of 100 hours may have been completed
in an aeroplane Flight Simulator and FNPT of which
a maximum of 25 hours may have been completed
in FNPT.

Bucket
17th Mar 2008, 23:14
I can see the very real desire to bling up your log book/CV with sim time to make it more attractive to a prospective employer but check what the actual legalities are and where this relevant info must go.

However, you are unwittingly doing a prospective employer a dis-service. They know what an MCC course is (and JOC if you've done that) and they know where it stands in the general scheme of things and in what context it stands in.

The course serves a mandatory function now and you seem to put too much emphasis on it. It alone, will not get you a job since everyone pretty much needs an MCC ticket now anyway.

If I stretch the point a little, you could risk coming across as a little sad if you feel the need to pad out your CV/ logbook with this.

Put it as a stand alone item on your CV in parenthesis to your total hours but NOT included in your total hours. If you have 200, 300 or 400 hours etc total time then you will (or will not) secure a position on the basis of everything on your CV not just the fact that you attended a non-assesable course.

Get it in context. Best of luck. :ok:

Bucket
18th Mar 2008, 15:12
Mmmm. Interesting thoughts. An MCC ticket is certainly legitmate sim time and can therefore be logged. I think perhaps that I did not express my thoughts too well...

Attendance on an MCC course, even using a nice generic B737 sim for example, does not present a candidate for employment significantly above the heads and shoulders of other (all other factors being equal) interviewees. It's always nice to show competance of similar machinery should your employer of choice operate such aircraft but if they don't what then. And frankly 20 hrs of MCC is not a type rating. Think again about the raison d'etre of MCC in the first place.

Well done for doing the course and indeed being in a position to do so. Now polish up the personal aspects that are so often overlooked.

Shiny black shoes (even in this day and age brown shoes with a suit are pushing the envelope a tad), clean suit with a muted tie and no white socks (very naff dear. Sooo 1980's). A haircut perhaps and clean finger nails. No smokey or coffee breath. Decline offers for tea or coffee; stick to water.

Can you hold a relaxed intelligent conversation. If you don't know say so. Don't blag it; too transparent.

Why do I say this?

Because a low houred pilot need not worry that his lack of hours will be a barrier. If the company will hire a low houred pilot as a matter of policy then fret not. If they don't they why apply?

You have the licence and therefore proved your aeronautical and acedemic prowess. Now take the time to see what you need to do to elevate yourself above the others. Be yourself. I don't want to share the cockpit with an actor.

:D