PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

Dream_on
17th Mar 2008, 13:52
Hi guys just found out about this site and wow what a site!! :D I have been training towards my PPL since september but due to work commitments and poor weather I have only got about 9hrs flying time in. I can only fly once a week at present and the one day I have my lesson booked for seems to be the day it bloody rains!! Seen as though sometimes it could be 3 weeks between lessons I feel I am not getting the full benifit from my lessons as I have to go over things that I did last lesson so progress seems slow. I have recenlty purchased the PPL study guide DVDs from OAT and I must say I am very impressed with the way they teach you. What I am now planning on doing is taking and hopefully passing the 7 PPL tests then booking maybe 4 weeks of work in the summer and completing the flying aspects of the PPL. So to get to my question finally do you think this would be a good way to go about it. By that I mean pass the tests first then concentrate on the flying side of things? Bit long winded but thanks in advance.

99jolegg
17th Mar 2008, 13:56
There are 101 ways to go about doing a PPL, everyone is different. To me, it seems like a sensible way of doing things. You can do the studying in your lunch break, on the train / bus home, whilst eating dinner etc etc so is far more flexible.

Taking a few weeks off (providing your school has the availability of aircraft and instructors) in good weather is a good idea to get the flying side of things done. I'm assuming you're in the UK, so you know the nature of the weather. The fact that it might still hose down with rain is less likely, but not impossible.

Good luck!

helimutt
17th Mar 2008, 14:35
Welcome to the site. The way you plan to train is a good one. I did a similar thing way back. Had a long period off work, was available to fly every day for 6 weeks, except some weekends, and finished heli ppl in 5 weeks, mon to fri. You make much more progress with repetitive flying rather than an hour here and there every few weeks. It will save you some money too as less hours usually required doing it that way. It's more intensive and sinks in more for some.

I did the exam study during my course, usually at night in the guest house I stayed at, or whilst in the pub on a night time having my dinner and a pint.
If you get the exams out of the way earlier, it will help your knowledge when you come to fly and less to worry about.
Good luck whichever way you go about it.

Leeds1972
17th Mar 2008, 15:15
Hi Dream on and welcome to this fantastic site. Seems we have a lot in common, Im doin my ppl and only got a few hours in as well because of the rain.. I've also decided to take a few weeks off in the summer but plan to go to florida and complete my practical as cheaper and obviously the weather is almost guaranteed.
I have also decided to get the theory out of the way and also purchased the OAT cb training and am very impressed.
Its nice to know someone is in the same shoes as myself as can often seem a long lonely road.
You hoping to go on to the ATPL?
I've just booked my class one for next month and whilst down in London plan to visit the flyer exhibition and get some networking done for when i'm finally a pilot (fingers crossed)
Keep in touch

Dr.Biggles
18th Mar 2008, 15:46
I'm in much the position as you guys. Started around August time, but so far have only accomplished around 15 hours or so...weather has been terrible in the previous weeks!

Some weeks i dont get to fly for 2/3 weeks :ugh:

Admittedly i'm not in any sort of rush to get the training out the way, but it would be nice to have that shiny pilots license! And the bragging rights are always nice as well! :p

Currently studying for my AirLaw and am pretty much ready for it i think, am consistently getting passes on AirQuiz and the Confuser too, so once i pass Air Law, its time for the first solo flight!

Not scared about that at all :}