PDA

View Full Version : American jobs for foreign pilots

nelly1066
19th Feb 2001, 01:46
Hi all
I hear all the talk of usa pilot shortages
Im looking for a change of scenery
UK ATPL and 3500hrs and 4 jet types including dc9 and b737 ng
is there anyone from the good old usa who can tell me how easy it is to get a green card and a job for a us major Ive tried good old EK but no joy so having lived in the states for a while (FAA cpl/ir/multi i found it great fun
anyone with some useful tips i would be grateful
cheers

Roadtrip
19th Feb 2001, 19:25
No green card, no work. I don't know of any companies worth working for that can justify sponsoring pilots. Despite all the wishful thinking on the part of wannabees, there is no shortage, just a small decrease in experienced pilots. The pinch is in getting competent pilots to work for the entry level starvation wages of a commuter airline. Best way to get a green card is to marry an American. Lots of green card holders working for US major airlines, but 3500 hours (assuming it's all civlian) would be a bit short for serious consideration. If it's almost all heavy jet, you may have a shot at it -- although, in the U.S., that experience profile is virtually unheard-of by those brought up in civil aviation.

G-LOC
21st Feb 2001, 00:34
If you have a degree, then no problem.
SouthWest if you look carefully does not require residency(greencard) like every other US major.
Good luck

Flare_you_fool!
22nd Feb 2001, 06:00
G-Loc
Southwest may not require you to have a green card but the INS unfortunately do require you to have the "right to work" in the states. "If" and that is the question you are caught by the INS not having the right to work you will be deported and refused entry to the states for 10 years. This does not go down well for the unrestricted passport required my most airlines.

fokkerjet
23rd Feb 2001, 00:02
How about the "mother" company nelly? I think we are looking for 2 more people. Never know when a 737NG rating may be needed over here!

Cyclic Hotline
23rd Feb 2001, 09:31
G-Loc,
Took your advice and did look closely at the requirements for SouthWest. States there plainly;

Authorization to work in the U.S.
Must have established authorization to work in the U.S.

I can't imagine any reputable company hiring someone who is unable to meet the criteria to complete an I-9 form (employment eligibility). Quite apart from the INS problems, if an undocumented or ineligible worker were to file a Workers Comp claim, or be involved in an accident, can you imagine the delight of the lawyers?

Check it out for yourself.
http://www.southwest.com/careers/pilots.html