PDA

View Full Version : Airline or BizJet? Any notions??

LOOKUP
17th Mar 2008, 11:14
Hi all

I have a little dilemma regarding where to take my career next.

I have been flying commercially for about a year now, coming up on a 1000 TT and 700 on the B737 (first job).

I have an opportunity on getting a position on the Global 5000, a three year contract with ok money, home base (commuting to the AC base paid by the company...), rating paid, per diems (around 20 days a month out of he country!!) and roughly 40 H per month flight time.

My question is, since I am fairly new in the buis., what kind of affect will this have on my future career? I mean what would you do?

The recruiter made it clear that for the first three years there is no way for command, after that, time will tell.

From another point of view Ill get the opportunity to "taste" of both worlds, airline and privet, and by that get a clearer perspective as to what I want.

I am 28 with a current job (base) Id like to change and I feel I have only now started to get the hang of the B737 so it feels like a shame...

So that's it. To take it or not, will it affect my career in a positive way or is it better to stick to the type I have and gain proficiency on it?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated, I'm sure some of you have been there.. J

Thanks in advance,

LU

Iver
17th Mar 2008, 14:02
Do you want to be away from home for 20+ days per month? That seems like a lot. Global is nice airplane of course but you might not have stability of airline (probably Air Europe or Ryanair if 737 in Spain). Where do you want to be in 10 years - airline or corporate? That is the main question.

If I got same offer, I would stay at airline unless I got better guarantees about upgrade and QOL issues. No way I want to be away from Spain 20+ days per month. If so, it better be a great Global job with the best terms.

Twin2040
17th Mar 2008, 14:12
Stay on 737 and get your TT up to + 3000 hrs. If you join BIZ now you will never get your TT up good level.

beachbumflyer
17th Mar 2008, 23:36
I would stay in the airlines. 20+ days away from home is too much. With the airlines you build flight time faster. Flying biz aviation requires too much time waiting around the airport, and youŽll be on call h24. Good luck.

Aussie
18th Mar 2008, 13:41
Very much depends which Biz jet company you fly for.... on call 24hrs? Not the case at Netjets :D

LOOKUP
19th Mar 2008, 09:22
Hi to all

First of all thanks alot for the replies.

Funny how the replies come in two differant shades, I guess it has alot to do with the T&C after all.

Its not 24 on call (not NetJets, a privat pilot of a big bizmen) and its home base, not where I am now so it seems like Ill take it..:-)

Thanks alot for the replies, I can say its a 50 50 case where thers alot to take into acount and I thank you for the help!

Best wishes!

LU

Iver
19th Mar 2008, 21:18
So, you will take it or not? I am confused by your post. Spending 20+ days away from Spain per month sounds like a lot to me.

LOOKUP
19th Mar 2008, 21:38
Im not from Spain, it was info from th time I signed in, changed it :-)

I am in E. Europe, and I dont like it one bit here so If I can get thoes ten daysat home and fly what that is supposed to be a great AC. . .why not?

Any way I think its smart to give this world a try before I tink which direction suits me better, Biz or Airline thats is...

Dont you agree??

Dani
19th Mar 2008, 22:33
Nope

Pprune says this answer is too short but - hey - this doesn't need more words

Lear Jockey
19th Mar 2008, 22:39
second post...

Bizz jets is fun! Back in 2001 I was supposed to fly for our airline but the went bankrupt, did other stuff in the meantime and got my first pilot job around one year ago. I jumped in and got amazed how much it's fun to fly for a good company. Of course you can find yourself in bad shape if you fly for a poor bizz jet company requiring you to fly too much but nowaday with all the regulations it's like flying on the line but you won't be doing as so many hours :ok: waiting around the airport is what most airline pilots thinks of bizz jet flyers but it's no more the case. when you have to wait lets say the whole day for the customer, you've got a hotel booked and time to rest, then pick up at the hotel and back to the airport around 1.5 hours before the flight. That's it, people are much etter treated than in most airline I'd say and some night stops around the world, that's fun stuff to do!

I would recommend that to anybody, much more free time actually than some friends I know flying on the line...

Take care

walu
25th Mar 2008, 19:11
How about this, get your time up on the 737 and say set the time on type at 2000 hours. Then take the Biz jet path and work towards a command on Type.
This gives you the view point as to whether you would like to do either of these jobs until your retirement. Now when you've done both of these things decide which one you feel would be completely satisfying and go for it! If you don't like the prospects of either one being the answer to your quest for happiness then go and get yourself a job on Floats. This is completely off your track now but guess what you get! Lots of exotic destinations, great pay, home every night and the best bloody flying you'll see with your cloths on!
If you then think your still too young and want to get back into the big shiny burner then do it! The world will then literally be your oyster mate!
This is a post from the other side.....:uhoh:

Doodlebug
1st Apr 2008, 15:43
LOOKUP,

Longhaul corporate can be very rewarding (not all GLEX-jobs will have you away from home for 20 a month!), but the previous posters were entirely correct to mention hours. Bear in mind that you will pick up hours at twice the rate with most scheduled airlines. For command on GLEX-category aircraft employers like to see upwards of 5000.

Good luck to you, and do let us know which route you've gone.

Bug