PDA

View Full Version : Airline or BizJet??? Any notions?

LOOKUP
17th Mar 2008, 11:12
Hi all

I have a little dilemma regarding where to take my career next.

I have been flying commercially for about a year now, coming up on a 1000 TT and 700 on the B737 (first job).

I have an opportunity on getting a position on the Global 5000, a three year contract with ok money, home base (commuting to the AC base paid by the company...), rating paid, per diems (around 20 days a month out of he country!!) and roughly 40 H per month flight time.

My question is, since I am fairly new in the buis., what kind of affect will this have on my future career? I mean what would you do?

The recruiter made it clear that for the first three years there is no way for command, after that, time will tell.

From another point of view Ill get the opportunity to "taste" of both worlds, airline and privet, and by that get a clearer perspective as to what I want.

I am 28 with a current job (base) Id like to change and I feel I have only now started to get the hang of the B737 so it feels like a shame...

So that's it. To take it or not, will it affect my career in a positive way or is it better to stick to the type I have and gain proficiency on it?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated, I'm sure some of you have been there.. J

Thanks in advance,

LU

Envoy604
18th Mar 2008, 09:51
A hard choice for a young chap. FYI I knocked back a reputable airline prefering Corporate. Airlines give you a more predictable lifestyle and potentially more money, but oh so boring. Some of my mates claim to like it, but most hate it. Corporate on the other hand has a mix of highly professional people and some completely useless bastards. Unfortunately the regulatory environment in corporate is not as tough and while some organsations and small operators have high standards, some do not. if you decide on the Global do your research. On the other hand it is much more rewarding from my perspective. Much more involvement in the trip and lots of different places to visit. Down side is it is very hard on the family and you.

Good luck

dboy
18th Mar 2008, 10:51
Last week i had a few conversations with corporate pilots. They said that you'll have a very irregular life but they also stated that if want to go for the money, you go for corporate jets.

I don't know if it is true.

I hope this might help a bit.

good luck

flybypilot
18th Mar 2008, 11:06
I had the choice a few year ago myself and I chose corporate and have never looked back!

Nearly all airline pilots I know are jealous of our lifestlye in Corportate, and when a good friend on the 757 saw the plates for Samedan he could not believe how amazing some of our flying is!

If you love a challenge and being spontaneous with amazing variation in your flying then corporate is the way to go, best choice I ever made! Plus teh Global is meant to be one hell of a piece of kit!

LOOKUP
19th Mar 2008, 09:24
Hi to all

First of all thanks alot for the replies.

Funny how the replies come in two differant shades, I guess it has alot to do with the T&C after all.

Its not 24 on call (not NetJets, a privat pilot of a big bizmen) and its home base, not where I am now so it seems like Ill take it..:-)

Thanks alot for the replies, I can say its a 50 50 case where thers alot to take into acount and I thank you for the help!

Best wishes!

LU

Shaman
19th Mar 2008, 14:47
Imagine yourself at age 40 with a wife and two children. They will want you at home for special occasions etc; will a corporate job allow that or will an airline job allow that? As someone else said, "Happy wife, happy life."