PDA

View Full Version : Info on Juneau and Sitka, AK

fokkerjet
16th Aug 2001, 03:10
Going to be spending a week in Alaska, starting next week, and I'm looking for information on both Juneau and Sitka.

Operationally, what can I expect from these two airports? I noticed that both airports have only LDA approaches. Any weather concerns this time of year? Are the FBO's and airport conditions descent? Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated.

How about hotels, restaurants and bars. Any recommendations? We'll have several days at each city, any recommendations on what to see and do?

Thanks for the help.

zerozero
16th Aug 2001, 12:02
I've operated only into JNU and even at that I didn't spend more than one hour on the ground so I can't really speak on accomdations or where to go. I will say that the FBO was very helpful.

You're right about the LDAs, except that JNU also has an NDB and SIT has VOR, NDB and GPS approaches.

The weather in all of southeast Alaska this time of year can be rainy with low clouds and fog. Although both Juneau and Ketchikan had sun and 23C today I wouldn't count on it.

And of course if the wind is more than 30 knots you can expect severe turbulence. Field elevation may be sea level but this is just like Aspen or Vail without the density altitude problems.

The biggest concern on the LDA at JNU are the stepdowns (7). Pay attention to how your DME is set. More than one airplane has balled it up at JNU due to improperly set DME. You'll start at 10,000' and stepdown to 1000' (MDA) for the Special LDA-2. For the published LDA-1 the MDA is 2880' (Cat C). Funny thing at the MAP is the non-standard lead-in lights pointing the way to the runway. Also the VASI are offset to be aligned with the final approach course (not the rwy centerline). This is no big deal if you've done some research.

The big deal at JNU, in my opinion, is the departure procedure. Basically you have to track outbound on the localizer making sure you're meeting the climb gradients. If you depart Rwy 26, this is not a big problem. If you depart Rwy 8 you must swing a 180 in a narrow little channel and remain in VMC over the airport until you're established on the LOC outbound. It can be quite hairy if the ceiling is low with mist and gusty conditions. You may even want to accept a tailwind on departure so that you don't have to swing this manuever. To be perfectly honest, the first time I tried this I was irritated with myself for not becoming more familiar with it in more favorable conditions.

Anyway...Also be on the look-out for VFR traffic on the LOC. Lots of seaplane activity and they use a parallel waterway almost adjacent to the main runway.

SIT on the other hand doesn't have as many perilous stepdowns but it's screwy because this LDA approach is offset only 1 degree. You might think that would qualify it for a LOC approach but it's because (and this took me a year to discover) the final approach course is parallel to and 350' right of runway centerline!

The DP here is a little more straight-forward. But, again, I have never been to SIT. I'm only familiar with it because we use it as an alternate when we head to the southeast.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went.

Here are a couple links to help you out:

JNU info (http://www.airnav.com/airport/JNU)

SIT info (http://www.airnav.com/airport/SIT)

Hope it helps.

Fly safe

fokkerjet
16th Aug 2001, 15:56
zerozero.

Thanks for the great info :D

pigboat
16th Aug 2001, 17:07
zerozero, which airport up there, a something creek I think it is, has a note on the approach plate that says "a missed approach will probably be unsuccessful," or something to that effect? I seem to recall the runway ends at the foot of a cliff. :eek:

zerozero
17th Aug 2001, 00:09
Sounds like it could be either Cape Romanzof or Cape Newenham. Both are Long Range Radar Sites and both are, for all practical intents and purposes, considered one way in and one way out.

They're both located in boxed valleys and slope steeply uphill towards the end of the valley.

The NDB approaches dump you off about 4 miles from the threshold, then you fly visually to the runway. The note you're refering to points out the fact that if you need to go around at some point after leaving the MAP you're going to be so far into the valley that you probably won't be able to turn around and/or outclimb the terrain. You are committed.

These are mostly "Herc strips" but a local freight outfit, Northern Air Cargo, will operate a DC-6 in there. Other than that it's pretty much 207, Caravan or Conquest traffic.

Did you fly in western Alaska? Looks like you're a Canadian? :)

willbav8r
17th Aug 2001, 02:10
Juneau;

Give the "touristy" (Red Dog ?) saloon a miss (on the corner). Try some of the watering holes further up the road - you will know them when you find them.

Locals have some great stories.

Enjoy.

pigboat
17th Aug 2001, 04:19
zerozero, no and yes. I remembered that approach from a Jepp revision some years ago. I spent most of my career based in northern and eastern Canada, with occasional forays west and south. :D

Cyclic Hotline
17th Aug 2001, 06:44
Sadly looks like you are going to see the standard Juneau liquid sunshine by the time you get here! :( Summer has been here for the last 10 days!

Both towns are extremely expensive and busy this time of year. Accomodation is generally in short supply and occasionally is fully booked! Juneau is kinda split between the valley (airport area) and downtown, with accomodation, food and restaraunts in both locations.

Check out these sites for info on accomodation, eating and local information: http://www.traveljuneau.com/planner/index.cfm
http://www.kinyradio.com

2 FBO's in JNU. Coastal Fuel and AeroServices - both very good.

Both airports are in excellent shape and have (amongst about everything else) 732 and 734 service into them. I've seen 747's and DC-10's here in Juneau, well once anyway (big Microsoft party)! :D

zerozero has told you most everything you need to know. Be advised that JNU is extremely busy this time of year, with 3 parallel operations happening simultaneously. Runway operations; floatplane operations from the float-pond; and helicopter operations (flying in formations of up to 6 machines), originating from 4 seperate locations on the airport!

There are a large number of floatplane operations from downtown (8 miles East) and between the two, is yet another heliport with 12, or so, A-stars operating from it!

There are extensive aerial tour operations over the icefield, with both helicopter and fixed-wing operators buzzing around in large numbers. Be very cautious about entering that area until you do a little local research with the operators here. You'll think your in the wilderness until you stumble into a flight of 20 machines! :eek:

Not trying to freak you out, but keep your eye's peeled in this very active area.

There is some very important information contained on the FAA Juneau FSDO website. http://www.alaska.faa.gov/jnufsdo/airspace.htm

Fabulous place to visit. Water; huge mountains; glaciers; animals that would eat you as soon as look at you! ;) Sitka is a very pretty place, nice to walk around. Good fishing too!

Between Sitka and Juneau, might be worth stopping in Gustavus, the entry to Glacier Bay. A trip from Gustavus to see the whales at Point Adolphus is generally one of the highlights of any trip to S.E. Alaska. Boat trip into Glacier Bay is also highly recommended.

Trips from Juneau include float-planes, helicopters and other trips on the icefield NorthStar Trekking has the ultimate helicopter trip http://www.glaciertrekking.com/ which include hiking on the glacier - it really is cool (literally) and is worth every penny! Whale watching and other boat trips are very worthwhile as well. (None of this is cheap)!

Best low cost activities include; Mendenhall Glacier; walk out to this stunning and accesible glacier. Mendenhall wetlands; walk out around the end of the runway and get a fabulous view of everything around here. Sitting by the floatpond for an hour or two on a busy day! Dipac and Sheep Creek; watch millions of Salmon coming home! Eagle beach; stunning views of water and mountains, often see whales right off the beach here. Walking downtown and checking out the touristas! Also 2 good museums downtown. :)

The Hangar is good restaraunt downtown (converted floatplane hangar - has great pictures of early aviation in the area). Armadillo has good mexican food. Baccars is the best place for breakfast and lunch (owned by a Brit!). There are any number of skanky or touristy bars - not that I've ever been in any of them! :rolleyes:

Good guide books for here include Lonely Planet Alaska. Alaska Yukon Guide (Moon books) and Fodors - definitely worth going to the library before you go!

Fabulous place. Have fun!

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: Cyclic Hotline ]

fokkerjet
1st Sep 2001, 18:53
zerozero and cyclic hotline.

Thanks alot for the info on Juneau and Sitka :D Your information was very helpful.
Only problem, if it's a problem, it rained the whole 8 days we were in Alaska :mad: