PDA

View Full Version : Lanzarote Arrivals and Departures...

Flieger empor!
17th Mar 2008, 02:46
Ex-ATC (Shanwick), I recently visited GCRR for the first time and was intrigued. Can anyone explain the following:

Arrivals onto RWY 03 from the north (i.e. most traffic from Europe): why do most flights overfly GCRR at circa 5, 000 ft and then head away out over the sea for ? 10 miles before turning 180 degrees back? Why do some flights overfly and then turn back much sooner? As RWY 03 is in use almost all the time, it struck me that incoming flights are directly in the path of flights departing.

As I don't have Charts for STARs or SIDs, I am a bit in the dark here.

Departures from RWY 03 northbound seem to steer right immediately on take-off, but I am unclear as to whether this is because of 1) mountains directly ahead or 2) to avoid incoming traffic as I just mentioned. This turn brings the a/c directly over Arrecife at low altitude (I am unaware if noise abatement is required). There are then two almost right-angle turns, left and right, while over the island. Most northbound flights I saw were banking all over the sky until they were north of Lanzarote.

Also, if RWY 21 is ever used, I would imagine the approach over the mountains immediately to the north is "challenging", to say the least.

In addition to the terrain, the strong winds on Lanzarote make the picture even more intriguing.

I would be interested in feedback from any pilots familiar with getting into and out of GCRR.

Many thanks, best wishes to all.

John.

parkfell
17th Mar 2008, 06:24
RW 03 arrivals do fly overhead the airfield at 5000' before descending outbound on 234 degrees [speed 220kts] to a platform altitude of 2300'. At 10 nm outbound turn left inbound for the ILS.

RW 03 SID traffic maintains 4000' until clear of the inbound at 5000'.
The early right turn is to avoid the raising ground to the NE of the airfield. Even so there are still performance issues due to terain. "Bleeds off" flap 1 take off can be required with a fullish load and 14+ tons [EGPX destinations] of fuel for optimum performance for B738s

Once above the MSA 3500' an early left turn cutting the corner of the SID is often approved by ATC.

The RW 21 arrival can be interesting. An slightly offset VOR/DME approach with quite a steep approach for the last 6.5d is usually captains' only landings at night.

Avman
17th Mar 2008, 09:58
Why do some flights overfly and then turn back much sooner?

They have requested and been cleared for a visual.

How long were you in ATC John?

MerlinElMago
17th Mar 2008, 15:48
You can have a look at

http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/LE_AD_2_GCRR_IAC_1_en,0.pdf

and

http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/LE_AD_2_GCRR_IAC_6_en,0.pdf

Sorry it's in spanish but you'll be able at least to see se approach drawn. It's for both RWYs 21 & 03.

Greets
Merlin

Flieger empor!
17th Mar 2008, 20:16
Excellent help, many thanks to you all.