PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Northern Ireland/Ireland/UK

dgor
16th Mar 2008, 22:28
Hi all,

I'm new to flying (working on my PPL at the moment) and spend a lot of time thinking about possible career paths. I'd like to stay in NI or Ireland for a while but am willing to relocate to other parts of the UK if I thought it would be beneficial. Right now I'm wondering what is the best airline to go for in Belfast or Dublin?

Aer Lingus flies from both now and the pay and rostering seems good but I've heard it is a long time to command. Just out of interest do A320/A321 pilots there also fly the A330 like at Monarch? Also I've heard that EIN don't really like modular course graduates without much experience which is most likely the path I will take

Two more possibilities are Flybe and easyJet. Flybe look good and I've heard good things but the pay isn't as good as EZY, although I guess regional flying would be good for building up hours and experience. Easyjet aren't great or so I've read on these forums but I was wondering if the situation had improved somewhat?

If I was to move to England Thomsonfly and Monarch would be another possibility. I like the idea of eventually flying longhaul so mabye Monarch would be an idea, although I have heard of a long time to command there too. Thomsonfly seem to be good from what I have read on the 'net, anyone have any recent firsthand experience? Likely base would be Bournemouth so not much chance of longhaul flights from there I guess.

I realise I'm asking a lot here so thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers

Dave (EGAD)

ComeBackAtX-Mas
16th Mar 2008, 22:38
Pass your exams first, before you start picking which airline you would choose to work for. Its not a sweet shop. :ok:

Jump-Seat64
16th Mar 2008, 23:50
I agree with the previous post, take it one step at a time. I understand it’s a good idea to have a plan of action swirling around but unfortunately this isn't the type of industry where you can tailor to your requirements. Its tough and limited, if you were offered any of the positions you mentioned then you would be very lucky and a fool not to take it!!

In addition I think i'm right in saying Thomsonfly and Monarch want hours on type and Easyjet generally recruit through CTC (fATPL with TR), i'm aware these requirements can and may change.

preduk
17th Mar 2008, 12:14
I agree with the previous posts... you don't pick the airline, the airlines pick you. Unless you get two offers from two different airlines (which is rare for a first job).

flying paddy
17th Mar 2008, 12:31
Hi

Concentrate on your Licence, get your Instructors rating, do a year instucting at Aldergrove, finally get get Airline job.

Believe me it works.

Good luck

Paddy