PDA

View Full Version : The world gone mad -Basil Brush racist!

whisperer
16th Mar 2008, 17:59
as reported in the current bun

Has this once proud nation finally lost the plot, makes ya want to :ugh:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article923966.ece

COPS are investigating a complaint of racism against a TV programme featuring Basil Brush, it emerged today.

A traveller reported an episode of the Basil Brush Show which showed a gypsy woman trying to sell the children’s puppet heather and wooden pegs.

The programme was a repeat and broadcast on digital channel CBBC.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire police, which received the complaint, said: “We can confirm we have received a complaint about a TV show featuring Basil Brush from a member of the public in February.

“The complaint was logged as an incident of a racist nature.”

Joseph Jones, vice-chairman of the Southern England Romany, Gypsy and Irish Traveller Network compared the programme to the Black and White Minstrel Show.

He told a Sunday newspaper: “This sort of thing happens quite regularly and we are fed up with making complaints about stereotypical comments about us in words that we find racist or offensive.

“Racist abuse of black people is quite rightly no longer deemed acceptable, but when a comedian makes a joke on TV about pikeys or gypos, there’s no comeback.”

The programme was a repeat and has also been released on a DVD.

Basil Brush still appears on an updated version of the morning TV show Saturday Swap Shop on BBC2.

The character first appeared in 1960s and was based on the upper-class comic Terry-Thomas. Basil is well known for his catchphrase “Boom Boom”.

The BBC refused to comment.

MSP Aviation
16th Mar 2008, 18:02
Why should the police care about an "incident of a racist nature?" So long as no crime occurred, people should be able to be as racist as they like.

Standard Noise
16th Mar 2008, 18:18
Obviously not being turfed off any illegal sites recently so they had to find something to moan about!:rolleyes:
The only reason they don't need to sell pegs these days is they get too many benefits from our feckwitted govt. Oh and nicking lead from church roofs!

And anyway, romanys used to bang on about how they were peaceful respectful people to try and distance themselves from other travellers (Irish, gyppoes, new age etc), so I can only assume they're tired of trying to pull the wool over now that they've banded together with the other lot.

modtinbasher
16th Mar 2008, 18:37
Was around Rutland last weekend, noticed that right against a very select residental development a new pikey camp was being set up. You know the usual, picket fences, brick crap houses with a space nearby for the obligatory caravan, 4X4 and hi-lux pickup. Just why do we have to tolerate this sort of rubbish? If these itinerant soaks on council funds demand to be known as 'travellers', then why don't they do just that....bloody travel, and let us honest law abiding types who pay for our lives get on with it.

MTB

Noah Zark.
16th Mar 2008, 18:42
Perhaps when they decide to buy into society, i.e. paying their taxes, council tax, water rates, etc etc., they will buy into the right to be able to comment about society and all of its rights and wrongs, instead of just having a go, no doubt, at grabbing some booty by way of compensation.
Till then, sod off!

Wedge
16th Mar 2008, 19:52
Why should the police care about an "incident of a racist nature?" So long as no crime occurred, people should be able to be as racist as they like.

Making no comment on this particular complaint, which I agree sounds frivolous and rather silly; the Police are bound to investigate incidents of a racist nature, as they may amount to a hate crime. The Police don't just investigate when a crime has occurred, part of their job is to investigate to establish whether or not a crime has been committed.

Clearly there are many incidents of a racist nature which do amount to crimes, and rightly so.

A crime which is 'racially aggravated' is treated far more seriously by the courts.

You say that people 'should be allowed to be as racist as they like'; I don't agree with that, but do you think it is desirable for people to be 'as racist as they like' so long as they are not committing a crime? And at which point in your opinion should their racist behaviour be deemed a crime?

tony draper
16th Mar 2008, 20:13
One still has in one's possession the forbidden "Thieving Gipsy Bastards" edition of VIZ,:E

Be worth a fortune int future :rolleyes:

B Fraser
16th Mar 2008, 20:32
For fox sake !

If they object that much then they can always withhold their TV licence fee.

Wedge
16th Mar 2008, 20:33
Ah yes Drapes, I remember it well.

In fact they were forced to apologise by the Romany community the next issue, and billed it as "Your very own Viz 'Cut Out And Lose' apology".

Which meant that they'd agreed to apologise, but weren't sorry in the slightest. :}

Ken Wells
16th Mar 2008, 21:10
If Basil is Racist then:

What key opens any lock? :mad:

A PIKEY

"A Gyspy moth can smell it's mate at 50 meters"

That statement is also accurate if you take out the word "MOTH"

Best film

SNATCH with Brad Pit who was brilliant as a Pikey:D

Best quote in the film "I hate Pikeys"http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/no_pikeys1.jpg

4 engines 4 longhaul
16th Mar 2008, 21:38
F**king Pikey:E

Ken Wells
16th Mar 2008, 22:06
I wonder if the baggy bloused PC tossers in comfortable shoes realise that our wonderfull BRITISH Red Arrows actually have the GYPO manouvre

Here they are with the GYPO cross over at Southport Airshow
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/southport4.jpg

tony draper
16th Mar 2008, 22:14
A Eastern European lady of my acquaintance told me, you people aint seen nothing yet just, wait until the next influx from the EU's latest addons hits your shores.
:uhoh:

Ken Wells
16th Mar 2008, 22:26
A German pilot friend told me today, that it is even worse in Germany as since the end of the second world war, Gypsies have special protected rights and no one even dares to speak-out against the theiving free loaders.

So in the UK please buy My little Pikey and help to put another can of Special Brew on the poor Pikey's table.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/pikey1.jpg

Blacksheep
17th Mar 2008, 00:12
Things have changed while I've been away. it seems from the foregoing that the Red Sparrrers have been learning new aerobatic manouvres in Cairo and people from the Pike District have displaced the Dids in the pea-picking, scrap and clothes peg industries. Meanwhile, a large settlement of 'Travellers' has sprung up among the trees next to Welwyn's QE2 hospital: where are they travelling to one wonders?

Certainly, I'm grateful to the enterpising Traveller chap who regularly turns up in our compound and removes the old fridges, cookers and various household articles 'fly-tipped' in our communal grounds by nouveau-riche EU plumbers and the local Charver community. Scruffy 'Noughties' Britain needs a few more enterprising pick-up drivers like him.

Load Toad
17th Mar 2008, 02:03
Is a gypsy a race?

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2008, 02:45
I believe that several races have included Gypsies as competitors.

ampan
17th Mar 2008, 08:05
Could any of those bedwetters out there (eg, Wedge) provide me with a definition of the word "racist"? To make it more simple, is X a racist if he avoids, and dislikes, gypsies, or Jews, or black people?

UniFoxOs
17th Mar 2008, 08:38
Problem is, ampan, we all have our own view of what constitutes racism. I don't like Krauts and Frogs, and I haven't got much time for Micks and Septics. Some would call me a racist. I love the Caribbean and its people, I love Spain and Portugal and the people there. Am I a racist? I don't believe so. It all depends how you define "race". The huggy fluffies seem to want it as "anything different from me", so that white gyppoes, muslims and, presumably foxes, are all different races. And, of course, the wording of our (UK) law almost certainly can be taken to mean something entirely different - probably what the reader wants it to say. Take your pick, stick to your guns, and sod the rest of them is what I say.
UFO

ampan
17th Mar 2008, 09:19
Exactly: It's a basic human right to dislike whomever we please, for whatever reason. There is nothing particularly objectionable about Mr X disliking, and avoiding, specific racial groups, for that reason alone. If he doesn't like gypsies, then he doesn't like gypsies. It's his right to not like gypsies - and it's the gypsies right to not like him. None of this is racism. It's just common standard prejudice against someone different. There's nothing praiseworthy about that sort of attitude, but there's nothing particularly wrong with it either.

The expression "hate crime" is ludicrous. It was coined a a bunch of cloth-eared w*nkers, to justify their continued receipt of taxpayer money for sitting around in converted technical institutes picking their noses and doing f8ck all else.

ShyTorque
17th Mar 2008, 09:20
For fox sake !

Hear, hear! :D

Alternatives would be council, income taxes and Vehicle Exise Duty. Not forgetting the due payment for putting hedge clippings, old tarmac, window frames and plastic wire insulation carefully in the community skip. Which of course, are all presently paid in full, as good upstanding community members.

Beatriz Fontana
17th Mar 2008, 09:59

That's assuming they paid the fee in the first place... send the detector vans round, boys!

flower
17th Mar 2008, 10:09
I still get accosted from time to time from Gypsies selling heather and "lucky stones" hardly racist if they actually do it is it.

Goodness me do i think it's racist when i get jokes about sheep shaggers and leek munchers of course i don't it's a jokey view of a nation and one we Welsh exploit anyway. Too much bluddy sensitivity not enough common sense around these days.

As for Basil Brush I have watched this modern version the once and it seemed so much better when I was a child.

Richard Taylor
17th Mar 2008, 13:48
Next radio station that plays a certain Cher song is in for it...:E

barry lloyd
17th Mar 2008, 14:45
Ah! you mean Romanies, Vagrants and Kleptomaniacs?

Richard Taylor
17th Mar 2008, 14:55
Would be a mouthful for the DJ, that's for sure! :ok:

airship
17th Mar 2008, 15:13
I believe that many here are secretly envious of "travelling folk" who at least apparently, hardly ever or are not usually required to pay: income taxes, social security, local taxes, TV licenses etc. When they want to enlarge their homes, just buy a bigger caravan - no bother with planning apllications, "the neighbours" or other nonsense. And if they get fed up with the view or the weather, just move on...? Sounds wunderbar - no wonder Gypsies were also part of the "final solution" back then too?! ;)

Seriously though, there are probably a large number of highly popular BBC / ITV shows or series originally produced in the late '70s and early '80s which would never be made today, simply because some episodes or scenes could be considered as quite offensive to others. Typical examples would include "Love Thy Neighbour" and "Fawlty Towers".

However, those who complain today about reruns of these earlier shows should reflect that these were made in "another age". When racism was indeed rife and an everyday occurence. I was witness to all that. But I would argue that, the majority of the various comedies, for all their pseudo-racist stereotyping actually helped to improve race relations back then by bringing to the forefront and to the widest audience that all the characters were also human-beings (even the black or Spanish ones). Banning the shows today would remove the opportunity for a younger generation who never saw them originally a taste of how people laughed back then, reflect, and hopefully have a great laugh themselves if they have open minds. These comedies are of historical importance and part of British culture - for Britons of any race, creed or colour today. Learn to accept that, try to appreciate it. What noone should be doing is to try and ban it or sweep it all under the carpet as if it never existed. That would be like trying to deny the Holocaust (on a much-reduced scale obviously), eliminate all traces of slavery or that minorities never ever had, or could ever have a sense of humour (in spite of sometimes over-bearing circumstances).

Do minorities (or anyone else) have nothing more important to concern themselves with these days other than to launch formal complaints about 20 year old TV programs...?! That's almost an admission that racism or discrimination no longer exists anymore in 2008. :} :confused:

UniFoxOs
17th Mar 2008, 15:29
Quite right, airship. I bet "Alf Garnett" did more for race relations than all the poxy huggy fluffy legislation of the last decade.

UFO

airship
17th Mar 2008, 15:45
Bleedin' bloody right, he (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Garnett) did too UniFoxOs...I rest my (bleedin') case :ok:

lexxity
17th Mar 2008, 16:13
When they want to enlarge their homes, just buy a bigger caravan

like your bold use of the word "buy". Not something that the bastards who repetedly try and knick caravans and horseboxes of the farm have heard of.

Binoculars
17th Mar 2008, 16:43
I appreciae your general point, airship, but you nominated two of any number of shows which would have illustrated your point, and you chose Fawlty Towers as one of them? :confused::confused::confused:

Love Thy Neighbour, Till Death Us Do Part, Steptoe and Son, Curry and Chips and others I can't remember offhand portrayed, quite reasonably, the view that as long as those black/paki/whatever bastards toed the line and liked a pint at the local, and didn't mind a few off-colour jokes sprayed at their differences, they could be treated as almost good blokes. The poms would even suffer a few jokes in a return spray and everyone lived happily ever after.

The audience had lots of fun hearing "funny" stereotypical terms, and felt better about themselves because they could see empirical evidence they weren't racist.

The American equivalents were worse of course, because a delicate line had to be toed. Remember Sidney Poitier as the world's whitest ever black man in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

A couple of decades later came the Cosby Show, whose genesis I can only scratch my head over. Just your normal everyday black family, people, you know; dentist, gorgeous wife, doctor, Father Knows Best kids living in a Manhattan brownstone like all NY blacks. I mean, who thought this show up and what did they expect to achieve? Take large hammer, when show starts beat audience over thick white heads with Message; Black people can be educated too! Err, thanks.

Fawlty Towers on the other hand was savage and unequivocal in its portrayal of racists. They were, as personified by Basil, would-be upper class members stuck through no fault of their own among the dregs of normal frightful people. Rather like the attitude of those who bring up chavs on Pprune in fact.

The hatred was palpable, and any hint of anything other than middle class English increased that hatred several times. Remember the black doctor when Sybil had an operation for an ingrown toenail? Who could forget the Germans?

Let's just bring back Leave it to Beaver.

PaperTiger
17th Mar 2008, 19:09
Joseph Jones, vice-chairman of the Southern England Romany, Gypsy and Irish Traveller Network compared the programme to the Black and White Minstrel Show.

He told a Sunday newspaper: “This sort of thing happens quite regularly and we are fed up with making complaints about stereotypical comments about us in words that we find racist or offensive."Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
Get a job
Sha na na na, sha na na na na.

Wedge
17th Mar 2008, 19:21
Could any of those bedwetters out there (eg, Wedge) provide me with a definition of the word "racist"? To make it more simple, is X a racist if he avoids, and dislikes, gypsies, or Jews, or black people?

Thanks first of all for your diplomatic approach to the subject.

One of the questions I posed was at what point should 'racist' behaviour be deemed a crime? To take an extreme example (and to invoke Godwin's law), Hitler's treatment of the Jews for example: It was (a) racist and (b) a crime, wouldn't you agree?

If 'x' dislikes and avoids gypsies, Jews and/or black people, he is not committing a crime, imho, but he is a racist: If by 'racist' you mean discrimination on the basis of a person's skin colour/ethnicity. That seems a fair definition to me.

It's just common standard prejudice against someone different.

Yes, and if that prejudice is based on the person's race, it is, by definition 'racism'. I really can't see how you can argue otherwise.

If you'd read my post (which I suspect you didn't) before you started with the verbal abuse, you might have noticed that I commented that this was a frivolous complaint. But to suggest that there is no such thing as 'hate crime' or that the law should not specifically cater for it, is nonsense.

StevenPreece
17th Mar 2008, 19:36
The PC Brigade have gone mad over the past few years. I hope they considered good old Basil's feelings and that they didn't give him the brush off. Boomboom.

Cheers

Steve

ShyTorque
17th Mar 2008, 19:39
I find that in paw taste, fur fox hake.

(Just KNEW I could get a fish pun in here somewhere). :E

niknak
17th Mar 2008, 20:14
There's only one solution to the probelm of illegal travellers and Mr Brush has the solution.........................................

BOOM....BOOM!!

ShyTorque
17th Mar 2008, 20:39
D'you know - I seriously misread that.

At first glance I thought it said Mr. BUSH!

Same answer though. :oh:

airship
17th Mar 2008, 20:57
I appreciae your general point, airship, but you nominated two of any number of shows which would have illustrated your point, and you chose Fawlty Towers as one of them? :confused::confused::confused: My dearest Binos, to the contrary, Fawlty Towers is a great example. Basil and Sybil represent the quintessential couple who have been brought up to believe in their own superiority over lesser beings, whether or not these others are their fellow contrymen. Sybil is more tolerant of the foreign Manuel, whilst Basil merely thinks Manuel is an irremediable idiot who needs to be directed at all times. Other hotel staff behave more normally. Whilst entirely fictional, and for the purposes of the TV series, Manuel is portrayed as the bumbling, idiotic foreigner who can't understand English even when it's expressed very loudly or slowly. But as anyone with any experience of hotel & catering from those days, before or afterwards, would surely affirm, is that no establishment such as Fawlty Towers could have survived without Manuel. For the 95% of the time when no filming was made, Manuel managed very well in answering the telephone, conducting guests to their rooms, serving meals or what have you. At a lesser overall cost than perhaps employing someone of British origin.

Finally, although such messages were not yet in fashion in those days, the producers should have advised viewers that no real Spaniards were harmed during filming...but did the hamster retire gracefully?! :uhoh:

For goodness' sake, Manuel wasn't even Spanish...! You do realise that Spaniards are richer than the French these days...? :E

chiglet
17th Mar 2008, 21:21
My dearest Binos, to the contrary, Fawlty Towers is a great example. Basil and Sybil represent the quintessential couple who have been brought up to believe in their own superiority over lesser beings, whether or not these others are their fellow contrymen. Sybil is more tolerant of the foreign Manuel, whilst Basil merely thinks Manuel is an irremediable idiot who needs to be directed at all times.

Airship..It may have slipped past you that "Fawty Towers" was a[not so] gentle dig at US [the "Brits"] Just look at the opening credit "Spelling Missttooks"....
Manuel....Englishman ..Acting the part of a Spaniard...and being spoken to in the street as that Spaniard by the Great British Pubic..:ugh:
Taking the Mick....sorry extracting the urine out of Aussies...Germans...the British "upper crust" [remember the "sea view?" sketch]. Anti "womens lib"..."anti car" [beating up the Morris 1300]
Nah 'snot racist...unless it's anti English.....:E
Bet you didn't think of that....
watpiktch

airship
17th Mar 2008, 21:43
It may have slipped past you that "Fawty Towers" was a[not so] gentle dig at US [the "Brits"] You don't say?!

I mean, you don't say?!

No really, you don't say?! :}

Oh, just shoot me fer Christ's saké and have done with. :confused: :ok:

ShyTorque
17th Mar 2008, 22:27
Great British Pubic..?

I hope that isn't also the great unwashed.......

Rightbase
17th Mar 2008, 22:28
It's part of our culture to find humour in all cultural stereotypes - including our own.

If it's part of 'their' culture to be offended then so be it. 'They' don't have to share our sense of humour.

But 'they' can't expect us to give up our cultural sense of humour. Some of us need our sense of humour to stay sane in this topsy-turvy upside-down and crazy world.

It's not personal - unless there's something funny about you.

Standard Noise
17th Mar 2008, 22:54
I wonder if they took offence at 'Snatch'? What with the pikey characters fighting, robbing, selling dodgy caravans, not washing, sh!tting behind the caravans.

Or unlike the nasty, offensive Basil Brush, did they see 'Snatch' more as a documentary of their lives?

Paradise Lost
17th Mar 2008, 23:14
As a gay, black, Welsh pikette, I find your collective opinions to be most offensive. You leave me little choice but to emigrate forthwith. Goodbyeee.....

airship
17th Mar 2008, 23:27
Are you sure that you're the only gay, black, Welsh pikette in your village (referring to the most recent UK BBC production disparaging minorities and others who merely like to wear Spandex)...?! ;) Whatever you do, please don't take a hurried decision and consequent flight to Tehran or someplace. It's just across the border, but... :ok:

S'land
18th Mar 2008, 01:17
Manuel....Englishman ..Acting the part of a Spaniard

German actually, born in Berlin.

larssnowpharter
18th Mar 2008, 06:54
So, he'll be out putting his towel/deck chair next to the pool before breakfast then!

Doctor Cruces
18th Mar 2008, 13:31
I could understand it if travellers/gypsies and whatever DIDN'T go around trying to sell tat and rubbish to people. My village regularly experiences someone going round the houses flogging heather, pegs, lacework etc and claiming to be a lucky gypsy or somesuch.

If just occasionally one of these minority groups who want to rule the rest of us would just look at their own society before they open their stupid big collective mouth, perhaps the present glut of racist/hate complaints would whither away to a realistic level.

Of course they are not all thievin' gits, but not every incident is smoke without fire.

Doc C

Windy Militant
18th Mar 2008, 15:14
Maybe we should be more like the Germans they seem to have to have adopted a far more practical view. ;)German TV network buys Allo Allo! (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/europe/allo-allo-to-invade-german-screens-793984.html)

lexxity
18th Mar 2008, 21:58
Read this in the Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_article_id=537512&in_page_id=1772&in_author_id=322&in_check=N) today. Made me laugh anyway, so obviously the Mail is good for something, apart from a freebie read at work. :}

CottonEyeJoe
18th Mar 2008, 22:46
In America they are called IRISH

Ken Wells
20th Mar 2008, 12:58
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/kenwells_photo/racist.gif

whisperer
20th Mar 2008, 21:37
Looks like alls well, the hounds have been called off :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7307828.stm

I can not help thinking that the police have far better things to spend their time investigating.

hellsbrink
20th Mar 2008, 22:06
Unfortunately, whisperer, the rozzers are obliged to investigate any possible "hate crime" no matter how ridiculous it is.

Pity they don't seem to have the same obligation to normal crime, but there you go.

OllyBeak
21st Mar 2008, 02:35
Forgive the dread thrift, but who drives the twenty-first century Basil. The original and genuine Ivan must be very grey by now; is he in charge, or a carefully trained replacement?

Cheers,

Ol.

sprocket
21st Mar 2008, 05:08
I'd heard his name was being changed to Brasil Bush in an attempt to multiculturalise the mutt.

tony draper
21st Mar 2008, 10:55
The fluffists recon it is very wrong to even hint that newcomers to your country are changing your nations culture,and the those who do are racist swine of the worse kind,unless one is a Tibetan of course.
:E

Rightbase
21st Mar 2008, 21:54
I wonder whether you would have had more success if you had told the police they were white kids?

Ken Wells
21st Mar 2008, 22:28
Ali Baba............. means thief in Arabic
Thug(ठग), .............a member of the defunct Indian cult Thuggee that raped and killed people
Assasin ................In the 'History of Alamut' there are at least four etymologies given for the word assassin. User of hashish; Follower of Hassan; Rowdy people.
Houligan or Hooligan.......irish tinker family that ran amock in London in Elizabeathen times
Bint, from the Arabic word for 'daughter' also lady of the night.

and won't even attempt to list the origins of Guy Gibson's dog!!!!

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 14:08
I got a lhasa laughs from the last post... :ok: