PDA

View Full Version : Sim Assesment - Instrument Scanning - OAT/OAA

Melissa_Bettochi
16th Mar 2008, 15:13
Hi Guys,

I have a skills assesment coming up soon for the OAA/OAT integrated course.

I wanted to ask whether there is any particular method to the simulator assesment. Should I be scanning the instruments in a particular order?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks! :)

nick14
16th Mar 2008, 16:08
Hi there,

the sim assesment is designed to show how you learn and some basic piloting skills.

All your scans should start from the Attitude indicator, left to the airspeed, back to the AI, right to the altitude, back to the AI then down to the DI/HSI and back.

the master instrument is the AI for normal flight, when turning set the bank on the AI, then check with the turn coordinator for rate one and balance then return to AI and scan.

Hope this helps
Nick

nick14
16th Mar 2008, 18:17
Be careful with the VSI as it has a lag, the best instrument for an instantaneous indication of altitude change is the altimeter, it also will confirm a trend ie climb or descent

nickyjsmith
16th Mar 2008, 18:23
Relax,
You will be told everything you need to do,its more about multi tasking than anything. The assessor is looking for your mental capacity while carrying out specific instructions. You will be asked some simple questions while you are carrying out the exercise and maybe a few simple maths questions as well.
I was 41 and i passed !

All the best.

nick14
17th Mar 2008, 07:23
nice sim,

as far as i am aware the sim is the same as when i sat it in 2006.

it is conducted on an old FNPT trainer modeled on a beech king air i believe.

clanger32
17th Mar 2008, 09:39
Everything else that's been said, but particularly relax.....the OAA sim assessment is NOT about whether you can fly or not (remember, that's what you'll be paying them a heck of a lot of money to teach you!) it's about whether you can listen, take instruction and improve performance.

SOOOO many people ask and worry hugely about not being able to fly the sim, but that's totally missed the point of why it's there. Don't be one of them.

So don't worry too much about needing to "ace" the test, worrying will degrade your performance...concern yourself with listening to the examiner, if you're not sure, ask - and generally just try and make sure you improve your performance. That's it.

no sponsor
17th Mar 2008, 10:40
On a piston aeroplane, then most VSIs will show lag. If you are in a jet, and in a 737, then it is a I-VSI. It is a most reliable way of showing any deviations in altitude. Any sim check on a proper 737 - then you won't go wrong in altitude hold by looking at the I-VSI.

But, I'd be very surprised that OATS will want to see a scan at a selection for an ab-initio course, they should teach you it!

However, Nick14 has it about right. Timing for Attitude indicator to another dial and back should be about 1 second in a regular out-back pattern. If you ever move one of your hands to do something other than fly the aeroplane with the yoke, then treat it in the same way - AI - look where your hand needs to go, back to AI, move your hand to the position, AI etc. Same with looking at plates etc.