PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of moving to Oz......Licence help!..

Fintastic
16th Mar 2008, 07:59
I'm a British military chap, currently thinking of moving to Australia to work with/in the RAAF. I'm currently doing my Bridging package with Bristol GS and had planned to do my ME/IR work near the end of the year.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth completing my UK ATPL, or waiting until I get out there before getting my ATPL in Oz. I'd appreciate the answers to a few questions to assist my forward planning. Thanks in advance.

1. Is the UK ATPL recognized and accepted on Oz, or will I have to convert to a different type?

2. If conversion is required, what is involved and at what cost?

3. Are there any military exemptions for the RAAF to get there ATPL?

4. Any other useful info you may have.

Thanks again.

:ok:

Slezy9
16th Mar 2008, 10:12
I can only help with question 3.

All you will get out of CASA is a CPL with endorsments that are applicable (CSU, retractable LDG etc..)

You still need to do an IRT because it is not recognised by CASA. You could also get the RAAF to pay a portion of your ATPL study under the DASS (Defence assisted study scheme).

Turkeyslapper
16th Mar 2008, 10:42
Do your ATPL in the UK...it is far easier to convert it to an Oz one than the other way should you lose your marbles and want to go back to the UK. I am pretty sure that when converting it to an Oz one that you only need an air law exam however should you try the other way you have to do all of the exams (hardly seems fair to me but thems the breaks).

Stand to be corrected.

Turkey

Octane
16th Mar 2008, 12:04
Don't want to sound daft but why would you worry about the ATPL if you want a career with the RAAF?
Exemptions would presumably depend on what types you're currently rated on?

Octane

Runaway Gun
16th Mar 2008, 13:54
Get your ATPL whilst still here in the UK.

The Aussie CAA (or CASA, or whatever they call themselves now) will only recognise your RAAF experience, and not that of a foreign 2nd class military.

If you are sticking with civilian flying, then yes, it's transferable, with some caveats. But get it now whilst you can. :ok:

D-IFF_ident
16th Mar 2008, 16:29
Fin, You need to search the CASA website for the "Basic Guidelines for Overseas Applicants Applying for an Australian Air Transport Pilot
Licence [ATP(A)L)]."

Relevant parts include:

CASA does not recognise any overseas military qualifications. Applicants must first convert their military qualifications to the civilian equivalent in their home country before applying to CASA for recognition. CASA will recognise foreign military flight time accrued).

AND:

CASA does not recognise an overseas pilot’s theory credits [in isolation] if the pilot has not been issued with the actual licence nor does it recognise “frozen” licences

Whether or not the CAA/JAA would accept a type rating course completed in Oz to 'unfreeze' a CPL/IR is another matter; I don't think they would.

:cool:

Backwards PLT
17th Mar 2008, 00:28
Guessing from your user name that you are FJ, bear in mind that with Bristol bridging and the IR you will be issued a CAA/JAR CPL/IR and frozen ATPL. It seems the Ozzies will not recognise the frozen ATPL at all, so you will just get an Aussie CPL/IR, as I understand it.

abbotyobs
17th Mar 2008, 06:50
For a FJ mate, I must admit, I thought the frozen ATPL was not really used here now also.
You get issued a CPL(A) with ME/IR, which is all you need to get a job, this is then upgraded to an ATPL after 500 hrs multi-time, which you get on your new shiny ac.
I thought frozen ATPL was an old term?

BEagle
17th Mar 2008, 07:42
In JAA-land, 'frozen ATPL' is a term used by wannabes for simplicity and has no real definition.

Usually it refers to a CPL/IR with an ME Class Rating, passes in all ATPL exams, plus completion of an MCC course. The minimum necessary to have any chance of a first airline job.

You are correct in stating that, once employment has been secured, a TR and IR(MPA) follow - and after 500 hours of multi-pilot time, the licence can be upgraded to an ATPL.

Fintastic
17th Mar 2008, 19:08
I am indeed a FJ mate, but I am considering a few different options at the moment. If I were to settle in Oz then the most probable long term plan would involve an Airline job.

sarboy w****r
17th Mar 2008, 23:34
Consider going to NZ, as they will recognise your RAF experience, and will allow you to do far fewer exams (I think 2, instead of 7). Much the same for recognition of your IR.

You then get a NZ ATPL/CPL, and use what is called the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement to trade in your NZ licence for an Aus one (paperwork exercise only).

Details of what the Aus and NZ CAAs will recognise from your RAF career are set out on their respective websites.

Bear in mind though, that if you decided to come back to the UK, you'd need to do all the UK exams if you wanted a UK licence...