PDA

View Full Version : becoming a pilot at 47

awami
16th Mar 2008, 03:00
Hi guys

Im apprioaching 47 years of age. i had a long standing dream of becoming a pilot. i worked for the engineering side of aviation for 14 years. i'm now considering joining a careers pilot training program(naples air center). the cost of training will not strain my finances nor will the simulator training afterwards.

I would apprecciate it if you could give me your views and opinions generally and in my future prospects as a pilot.

Many thanks

hollingworthp
16th Mar 2008, 10:09
<tongue firmly in cheek>
What a novel and unique question :}

Perhaps if you look through the VERY FIRST post in this section: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

You will find links to numerous sections where at least one or two people may have asked a similar question.
</tongue firmly in cheek>

Plastic787
16th Mar 2008, 10:14
Financially if you are safe then go for it. I'm starting at Oxford in September and there's no job I'd rather do. It obviously depends on your expectations, if you are looking to become a longhaul captain I'd say your chances are a bit limited but there's way more to flying as a career than that of course. Better to go for it than wonder what if.

Octane
16th Mar 2008, 10:34
Why not?!
My younger brother (737 pilot) seriously suggested same to me recently, I'm 45. His take on it was that there is such a shortage of pilots here in Oz that it would be eminently possible to begin a career if I so chose...

cheers

Octane

STEPHEN WHYVILL
16th Mar 2008, 10:43
Hi guys, I have being instructing for approx/ 21 years and have 6000 hours i am 49 years old and going to do my I. R. in summer, i also would like to join an airline maybe small turbo props for the rest of my career.
I feel like anybody in their mid forties upwards that a small regional airline may look at you , i have about 300 hours multi time which may help but go for it and all the best in your new career..

malc4d
16th Mar 2008, 10:54
If you don't need to sell the house,wife,kids or dog, and have a career to fall back on......why not go for it ............:ok: