PDA

View Full Version : time to boycot the Olympics in general

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
16th Mar 2008, 01:40
I mean come on, do they even have any relevance?

...or have I been drinking too much this evening?

henry crun
16th Mar 2008, 01:43
I thought they are to be held in China this year, when are they in General ?

Wod
16th Mar 2008, 08:13
Nah! The Olympics are fine - great ideals and great, and often courageous, competition in the sporting arena.

It's the politics that are depressing and should be irrelevant to The Games.

hellsbrink
16th Mar 2008, 08:19
Wod, you haven't read the Olympic Charter, have you?

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_122.pdf

2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.

5. Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.

Wod
16th Mar 2008, 08:31
Hellsbrink

I thought that's what I was expressing. Sport and healthy competition above petty, self serving, point scoring, alternative agendas.

hellsbrink
16th Mar 2008, 08:36
Yes, but their actions against the Tibetans, Muslims and anyone else that doesn't agree with the party line goes against the charter....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
16th Mar 2008, 20:33
I don't see it as "hea;thy competition" at all. It might have been once, when gentlemen ammatures did extrodinary things on skis or the running track, but now, it's just people whose entire life revolves around the sport they enter for - they even have professional atheletes now. Once they did that, I don't see how anyone could look at the Olumpics without laughing.

I'd rather see competition between real people who just happened to be good at something, but who had real lives and (gasp) maybe jobs as well. I'm prepared for say someone in the Alpine division of the Wermacht to have an advantage from his job in say the biathalon, but today's Olympics has long ago left behind its reason for existance.

...and most of the sports are crap anyway.

helimutt
16th Mar 2008, 20:56
......most of the sports are, but I see the sport of 'edited' is a big sport in China. No doubt Olympic dominoes will be on the agenda next.:ok:

Krystal n chips
16th Mar 2008, 21:18
"most of the sports are crap anyway".....erm, not strictly true...I have always enjoyed the javelin.....when it goes off course and gets embedded in an official :E

That said, I find my social diary for 2012 to be full during the "oh dear, we seem to have made a complete and utter fcku up of the calculations, but never mind the mugs will still pay and the taxpayer will bail us out anyway" ..or the London 2012 event if you insist.

I understand there will be a special clause in the next Queens Speech under Nu Labour in which viewing and attendance at events will become compulsory.....:rolleyes:

Sunray Minor
16th Mar 2008, 21:59
Wod,

They're hard to separate when China will be using the games to gloss over its worst aspects and using the event entirely as a propaganda tool. Plenty of reason to boycott the Olympics; this event is pretty much China's "opening ceremony" and any disruption or bad (honest) publicity will have a big effect, just maybe making a difference for places like Tibet. For once, China can't ignore the attention the rest of the world is giving it.

Then again, too many folks out there are blinded by the money to be made from China/Olympics....they'll be the ones more than likely claiming sport and politics are separate. Normally they'd be right. But not when it's the Olympics.

Coming up to the 5th aniversary of our own "outrage", we don't really have a foot to stand on when it comes to ethical behaviour though.

parabellum
16th Mar 2008, 23:26
"I mean come on, do they even have any relevance?"

I believe the pharmaceutical industry watch them very closely!;)

Ken Wells
17th Mar 2008, 12:55
I have always found the whole thing boring.

If you want to watch

Diving ..watch Clelsea
Running... Brixton after dark
Shot putting ...Bradford riots
Cycling....HydePark rush hour
Swimming..... Maroco to Spain
Sailing.... Sandgat to Dover
Javelin.... Amy whitehouse and Pete Docherty injecting
Discus---Frizby on the beach
Relay.... dealing in Nottingham
Weight Lifting...nicking wheels of cars in Liverpool
Target Shooting...Manchester

Come on; I sure the creative amoungst will think of more examples

bnt
17th Mar 2008, 20:50
I don't think any amount of drugs will prepare the athletes for the air in Beijing. I'll be surprised to see any sub-10 second 100m runs this year - unless they allow oxygen pre-breathing at the starts... :ooh:

CottonEyeJoe
18th Mar 2008, 22:33
have always found the whole thing boring.

If you want to watch

Diving ..watch Clelsea
Running... Brixton after dark
Sailing.... Sandgat to Dover
Javelin.... Amy whitehouse and Pete Docherty injecting
Discus---Frizby on the beach
Relay.... dealing in Nottingham
Weight Lifting...nicking wheels of cars in Liverpool
Target Shooting...Manchester

Triple jump.... avoiding the dog sh*t in Paris

jumpuFOKKERjump
22nd Mar 2008, 14:27
Wipe everything except Beach Volleyball...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Mar 2008, 14:48
It's a load of nationalist willy-waving at the taxpayer's expense. People argue that it will benefit the area east of London, to which I answer:

1) Just giving the money directly to that area would benefit it hundereds, probably thousands, of times more.

2) The area is in the wealthy south east, albeit a poorer part of that wealthy area. So the money should probably be largely spent elsewhere in UK instead.

The Olympics is a bit 'Nuremburg Rally' as well. But whatever we do, it will steamroller ahead. Too many high-up egos comitted to it to stop this expensive silliness now. :(

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 15:23
The Tibetans lost Tibet to the Chinese back in the '60s when Indian armed forces were repulsed. That deal was signed into International law later on by US President Nixon.

Noone has ever since challenged the Chinese and their illegal or misguided occupation. There are probably a greater number of ethnic Chinese immigrants in Tibet today than the original Tibetan population so even democracy (one man, one vote) wouldn't change things. Lots of folk including Uncle Sam simply "chickened out" when faced with uhmmm, a Chinese army numbering millions of individuals (the same sense didn't work in Iraq... :} )

IMHO, there's no point in any boycott, whether it's over Tibet, globalisation or atmospheric pollution in Beijing. 100, 500 or 1,000 years from now, perhaps Tibetans will be able to repossess their homelands from the disintegration of the world's sole remaining superpower of the day...?! And the Chinese immigrants would have all fallen under the charm of the Buddhist culture and beliefs. Someday, the premier of the Chinese nation (empire) will be a reincarnated Tibetan, perhaps even the Dalai Lama himself...?! :ok:

Of course, there's always a proviso: if global warming really does happen and a large extent of the planet is flooded, there will only remain the kingdoms (or otherwise republics) of Nepal, Tibet, the Hindu kush, the Rockies, the combined Swiss, Italian & French Alps, and the (Spanish-speaking) Andes as countries..

That is why one should always construct one's house on high, rocky ground grasshopper...and maintain a dialog with the Chinese Hun (I mean Han)?! :uhoh:

The SSK
22nd Mar 2008, 20:34
I view the Olympics with about the same enthusiasm as the Eurovision Song Contest.

Come to think of it, there are quite a lot of similarities between the two.

Slasher
23rd Mar 2008, 02:23
I'd rather see competition between real people who just
happened to be good at something

Soon as they include a [email protected] event I'll enter and colect
the Gold hands down (so to speak)!

arcniz
23rd Mar 2008, 06:43
I'd rather see competition between real people who just happened to be good at something, but who had real lives and (gasp) maybe jobs as well.

Really playing to the crowd 'ere, eh?

Salusa
23rd Mar 2008, 12:29
Soon as they include a [email protected] event I'll enter and colect
the Gold hands down (so to speak)!

Count me in on that sport,

I will either come a close second or beat myself into first place.

I have had loads of continuous practice at it and have a good grip on the practical side as well as the theory.

frostbite
23rd Mar 2008, 12:46
I suspect the majority of spectators (as in the more regional contests) are relatives, friends and sponsors, mostly on a freebie.

Tigs2
23rd Mar 2008, 14:10
Slasher/Salusa

Sounds a good event, but it could be a while so I have asked my missus to start training with me for the mixed doubles. We will commence training for the distance event, but if they don't bring it in for 16 years or so we may have to resign ourselves to the mixed doubles sprint:ok:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Mar 2008, 20:07
Mixed doubles? :eek: Don't you realise that the workload will have to be shared equally?

What you want is the Two Man Bob (erm ... I mean the one man llllllllady bob), you know where one does the steering and the other does the work.

priapism
23rd Mar 2008, 23:42
Slasher/Salusa,

You people would be no chance against my brother.
At the recent Aus wanking championships he came 1st , 3rd and last!!

Ken Wells
24th Mar 2008, 13:24
Stay at home and hold your own games

have always
Quote:
found the whole thing boring.

If you want to watch

Diving........watch Clelsea
Running.... Brixton after dark