PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to be a pilot? (Professional or Private)

Flying Lawyer
15th Mar 2008, 21:42
http://www.gapan.org/images/guild.gif

If you or anyone you know would like to become a pilot (professional or private), or to obtain further qualifications as a pilot, GAPAN provides financial assistance in the form of scholarships.

The scholarships range from a fully-funded PPL course up to a fully-funded course for a frozen Airline Transport Pilot Licence/Instrument Rating.
More information and downloadable application forms can be obtained by clicking on the crest :

http://www.gapan.org/images/guild-crest.gif (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols08.htm)
(http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols08.htm)

Several PPL Scholarships (fixed wing) and a few FI(R) Scholarships (fixed wing and rotary) are to be awarded in 2008.
The closing date for most scholarships is Wednesday 9th April 2008.

J N Somers Scholarship 2009

This scholarship is for a fully-funded frozen ATPL and IR, and includes a JOC/MCC module.Closing date for receipt of applications is the 13th June 2008.
The selection process will be carried out this year, and the lucky winner will begin training in Spring 2009.

The scholarship was instigated in 1999. Since then, all 'Somers Scholars' have secured successful flying jobs with airlines soon after completing their training.

Further information including a summary of the selection criteria, and a downloadable application form with full details of eligibility, can be found on the link posted above.

Too good to be true?
No. Several Ppruners have won scholarships in previous years.
Give it a go.
There's nothing to lose but the cost of a stamp!

Good Luck. :ok:

Tudor Owen

Howard Hughes
16th Mar 2008, 07:54
Bugger, it's not for old buggers...;)

Wouldn't mind a PPL on one of those fling wingers!:ok:

Flying Lawyer
17th Mar 2008, 15:52
I posted the info in this forum in case there was anyone who'd always wanted to learn to fly and hadn't been able to do so for financial reasons, or who knows someone in that position. eg A son or daughter.
The GAPAN scholarships are well-known, and discussed every year, in the aviation forums.

As far as I'm aware (I haven't checked them all), the only Scholarship or Bursary with a maximum age condition is the J N Somers Scholarship.

eg The age requirement for the PPL scholarships is that applicants must be at least 17 by the start of training on the 1st July 2008.

I know of one recipient of a scholarship in recent years who was 47. There have certainly been others who were not youngsters.

FL

The Nr Fairy
17th Mar 2008, 18:40
And one recipient aged 40, not too many years ago, in fact the year after the 47 year old I think FL refers to :)

Flying Lawyer
17th Mar 2008, 19:01
Fatboy Ginge Correct me if I'm wrong .......... etc
No idea.
I'm just very happy that some youngster benefits from the scholarship each year. I have no inclination to look for possible negative things about it.

What I do know is that Mrs Somers generously instigated the scholarship in 1999 in memory of her late husband who was a Test Pilot and a member of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators from 1946.
I assume her wish is to pay for one youngster each year who might not otherwise be able to fullfil an ambition to qualify as a professional pilot.

I don't know if the age discrimination legislation applies to charitable gifts of this sort which are designed to help youngsters get started in life.
If it does, some might think that would be a great pity.

mid_life_pilot
20th Mar 2008, 11:15
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of their age

This doesn't apply to scholarships because they are incentives rather than employment conditions. Pity though, I'm sure there are plenty of mid-lifers who would give their right arm for that kind of sponsorship. Still, good incentive for the young folk.

Flying Lawyer - good to hear about a 47 year old getting the PPL sponsorship. I'm 32 and have dreamt about being a pilot all my life but the cost has always been the barrier so I might have a go at the PPL route. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Rightbase
25th Mar 2008, 19:09
It makes sense to offer flying scholarships to youngsters, or to early-lifers who hope to earn a living from flying. For the rest of us aspiring or (as in my case) belatedly successful PPLs, the paid-off mortgage is as important as the medical.
Once I could afford to fly often enough to stay current, I could afford the lessons. Or was it vice-versa...:hmm: