PDA

View Full Version : JetStar sponsoring foreign pilots

Pin Head
15th Mar 2008, 20:43
Any truth in this. Heard something about a 4 year work visa?

Spaz Modic
15th Mar 2008, 22:39
:ooh: They're coming from CHOINA! et al ;)

Artificial Horizon
16th Mar 2008, 08:48
Yes it is true, I recently had an interview with them here in London where they were holding a job expo. I have Australian residency but others at the expo did not and the Jetstar representative said that for the right candidates they would sponsor them for a work visa which could take up to four months to organise. It would seem that in Oz there is perhaps not a shortage of pilots but a shortage of experienced pilots who are willing to work at Jetstar.

7x7
16th Mar 2008, 08:56
Perhaps that shoud read "....who are willing to work for JetStar for the wages they are offering."

Pin Head
16th Mar 2008, 09:13
Artifical Horizon - please check your pm.

airtags
16th Mar 2008, 09:26
well J* did the dirty on the Australian Cabin Crew and 'organised' a large number of VISAs for the Asian crew ......seems like this may be more of the same.

Loved J*'s 'twin share' accomodation option in the copy of the CC agreement I saw.......... but then it was contrasted by the little irish bloke I seem to recall during a cabin walk thru who was well dug into the J class pleasures on our QF.

The anagram LCC it seems is open to a wide number of interpretations....it just depends where you sit on the tree of life!

PS: Nice to know the pollie speak about Aussie jobs isn't rhetoric...or has the election passed.............cue Julia.......!

Team America
16th Mar 2008, 09:29
There are 1000's of Aussie Pilot's who would come home for the Jet* job if they just paid the right $$$. The government should not be allowing Qantas to pay lower wages when there are plenty of qualified Expats around.

If CX, EK etc can pay the right $$$ then Jet* should as well, if that doesn't work to attract the guys/girls to come home then by all means seek pilots O/S.

AUD$200+ for A320 Capt is in the ball park, keep an eye out for Skywest paying the right money to get experienced pilots instead of going O/S once they get their A320's. Good enough for Skywest good enough for Jet*.

Well done Skywest for keeping it (wages) real in the industry :ok:

splat72
16th Mar 2008, 09:54
35 years old 8000 hrs, 3500 hrs command dash8, DH8 sim instructor, Australian resident plays well with others have had an application in with J Star for 2 years updated every 3 months and never been looked at .....What must one do.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

virgindriver
16th Mar 2008, 10:01
35 years old 8000 hrs, 3500 hrs command dash8, DH8 sim instructor, Australian resident plays well with others

With that experience why waste your time at JQ. Just apply to S/Aust and get your 150K to drive a Dash (220k to be a check and trainer).

(Anyone care to confirm these numbers?)

splat72
16th Mar 2008, 10:11
yes I can confirm those numbers for ex training captains to return but never the less at the end of a 12 year contract one is still flying a dash and by the way after 3 years it drops back to 120000 pa , can you imagine fronting up for work at the end of that period for 100G per year less.

Artificial Horizon
16th Mar 2008, 10:32
Why should Jetstar be forced to raise pay if they can find enough people willing to work for that money. As for Cathay, Emirates etc..., they have to pay reasonably well to get people to live in the sh*tholes where they are based, I also did a Cathay interview a while back for a position in SYD only to be told they were cutting pay back to $90,000 per year for a Direct Entry FO, I would rather fly an A320 for Jetstar for that sort of money. Personally I would be quite happy to work for the wage Jetstar is offering because after 10 years working in Europe I just want to head home, money is not a high concern. Probably won't get the chance though as I fuc*ed up the planning exercise.

WynSock
16th Mar 2008, 11:10
Splat ;can you imagine fronting up for work at the end of that period for 100G per year less.

It would be dreadful - so they may have a mini pilot shortage of their own to deal with after 2010.

And they know how to fix pilot shortages...

GOOD MONEY.

:E

haughtney1
16th Mar 2008, 11:10
A/H check your PM's buddy

Shagtastic
16th Mar 2008, 15:15
I wonder if J* was actualy serious about attracting Antipodean pilots back to Australia even as part of of the so called Australian Employment Expo held in the UK or the roadshow in Dubai...? Fishier than fish sauce..:suspect:

Shagtastic

AA717driver
16th Mar 2008, 16:34
Jetstar will likely end up with a bunch of U.S. RJ Capt's. who are going nowhere in America and want to fly a "big" airplane.

They're already applying to EK. Nothing against them, just the sorry state of aviation in the U.S. (I personally would be willing to work for J* if they still had 717's. I REALLY miss flying that airplane... :( ) TC

Casper
16th Mar 2008, 20:36
PS: Nice to know the pollie speak about Aussie jobs isn't rhetoric...or has the election passed.............
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why be surprised? The ALP has previously sponsored foreign pilots to work in Oz -and it didn't take 4 months to organise the process, thanks to the ALP PM and the ACTU at the time.

armslides&crossdress
17th Mar 2008, 00:33
Yes I am An Aussie who wants to return Home from o'seas, late 30's Widebody/Glass command, ticked all the boxes...and happy to sit in the right seat and self sponsor ..and happy on the $$ on offer >>as just want to go home ... application there for many years and regular updates... several of my aussie co-workers have same story so why no invitation for interview ?
and why invitations to foreign / less qualified workers to go to Jetstar ??
AM I MISSING SOMETHING ..please - seeking a genuine response from someone in the know there at Jetstar...
:bored: Thinking I chose the wrong week to give up sniffing glue....

greenslopes
17th Mar 2008, 03:22
No point p*ss*ng and moaning on here. Write to your local M.P(Federal). They will respond and they are obliged to ask the questions, further to the point they cannot be fobbed off by the receptionist.

The Professor
17th Mar 2008, 03:31
"If CX, EK etc can pay the right $$$. . . "

And yet CX and especially EK are losing crew also.

EK have a bigger crew retention problem than Jetstar.

Why is that?

Going Boeing
17th Mar 2008, 03:33
I can't understand why a LCC, which is reluctant to spend any money, is spending big money on overseas recruiting when they have applicants that they haven't processed yet.

airtags
17th Mar 2008, 05:01
Going Boeing:

So I think it has a lot more to do with the notion of 'uncollective' bargaining - J* has a deep passion for individual contracts and importing people means coming to fly on J*'s T&C's.

Pin Head
17th Mar 2008, 09:19
roughly what is the package? Flight pay, bond?

Selection for B787?

Artifcal Horizon - please check your pm again!

QFcaptain
17th Mar 2008, 09:38
Rumour has it
787 J* crew
cruise officer-48k(1000hrsTT 100ME command and ATPL theory mins)
FO-96k
CPT-175k
Apparently this pay is based on 900hrs
bloody similar to Voz

Howards Battler
17th Mar 2008, 10:25
Rumour has it
787 J* crew
cruise officer-48k(1000hrsTT 100ME command and ATPL theory mins)
FO-96k
CPT-175k
Apparently this pay is based on 900hrs

Not likely. The new EBA would put it much higher. No CFO position anymore. FO 55%-65% of Captains pay

Captain base around $165k. Overtime at around $210/hour. Based on 10.5 months work (6 weeks leave per year) anything over 787hrs is basically OT. ie 900 Hours/year = $23700 (Could/should/would be more now because of paxing credits)
Retention bonus 6% of total. Performance bonus 0-12% of total (may average 6%/year??)
So I reckon at least $211K + other extras as a minimum.

Having said that working for Jetstar = selling soul.

Australian Aviation has changed.

blow.n.gasket
25th Mar 2008, 08:25
Keep that up and Qantas pilots will end up being cheaper!:eek:

BeerBaron
25th Mar 2008, 09:27
Jetstar Terms & Conditions here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317096)

Lowkoon
25th Mar 2008, 10:52
How is this legal? Can i just set up a building company and hire thai and vietnamese workers to work for me, and undercut everyone else in the building industry? Not sure the BLF would like that. What are AFAP doing? Bring your own lube boys. This is going to hurt. :yuk: Aus aviation is so pathetic, and we did it to ourselves.

Lowkoon
25th Mar 2008, 11:04
Or jetstars union, or AIPA, or tigers union (toothless! Had to be said), or Easterns union or sunnies union or skywests union, or National jokes union, or virgins union? The sum of their collective lobbying to their appropriate ministers is? Thought so, nothing! :sad: It effects all of you. Jetstar are effectively saying you are too expensive, or not good enough. It effects your chances of not only moving on, but your chances of improving your own contracts as basically nil. The precedent has been set. If you become too expensive, and what management team doesn't think you already are? Now airlines can go overseas to recruit.