PDA

View Full Version : US Pilots - Advice to Johnny Foreigner please!

Joystick Wiggler
20th Jan 2001, 03:07
Guys and Gals from the US!

I'm a brit, legal to work in the US with approx 2500 hours of which 1500 are on the Airbus 320/321.

I am hoping to come to the US this year but have been hearing the US economic debates etc in the News. Encouragingly I see that according to Air Inc nearly all the majors/Nationals are expecting to hire this year in relatively large numbers. Any advice or recommendations on who to apply to? Should I avoid United/US Airways? Who thinks they work for the best airline in the world? (On second thoughts don't answer that one otherwise I'll get a million opinions!!)

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated, preferably sensible ones please!!

Many thanks, keep it straight and level.....

Ignition Override
20th Jan 2001, 03:34
On this highly sensitive topic, you might not have much luck on Pprune etc, without an e-mail address for confidential responses.

DownIn3Green
20th Jan 2001, 18:37
Try Ryan. I hear they hire directly into the seat on occasion. Same with Jet Blue. Don't know about anyone else, but as long as you have a legal right to work in the USA, I say good luck to you.

Joystick Wiggler
21st Jan 2001, 00:04
In response to Ignition Overide's suggestion here is an email you can write to: [email protected] (confidentially if you wish)

I do have right of abode and the right to work in the US (legally) and I know it is an emotive subject with people who believe that us foreigners are coming and taking their jobs. However it has been a long time getting the legal side of life together, even for a degree educated pilot, but it is something I believe will be really worth it for the future. For those with a more liberal viewpoint I would appreciate some advice as I am not up to speed on the recruiting system within the US.

Thank you in advance

DownIn3Green
22nd Jan 2001, 18:41
Joystick,

As I said above, Welcome if you have a right of abode. However, the grass is not always greener.

While there are outfits (Falcon Air Express, Sun Pacific International, Northern Air Cargo) to name a few who may hire you directly into the seat (Captain, I'm talking), you'll find the pay scale of these positions rivals that of a first year S/O at any major.

The problem is not the lack of qualified pilots, but aside from the highly qualified new guy, it is the lack of guys with experience of command who want to start at the bottom of a 10,000 strong seniority list.

Why do you think there are loads of us overseas?

Good luck to you.

Joystick Wiggler
24th Jan 2001, 01:39
Just to reply to you Down in 3....

The reason I say that there are plenty of Us guys in the UK is just that I hear them on the radio flying with UK companies. Also I may have given you the impression that I have command experience but I do not. therefore I am probably one of those who would be happy to be on the bottom of anybody's seniority list!!

The grass is very green here you know, but that is just because it rains a lot!!! :)

Anyway thanks for the input, nobody else seems to have any opinions

cya

DownIn3Green
25th Jan 2001, 01:06
Joystick,

Check out: http://www.climbto350.com

DI3G

ironbutt57
27th Jan 2001, 03:37
The only way to have green grass is to use more fertilizer...which the industry in the good ole USA is full of...lots of seats to be filled....lots of jobs..lots less careers..good luck...