PDA

View Full Version : AUSTRALIAN LICENCE CONVERSION IN USA

fut_airlplt
13th Jan 2001, 05:11
Can anyone tell me if the FAA will issue me with an equivalent US licence for what I obtain in Australia.

I intend to obtain an Australian CPL with a MECIR, and also do my ATPL subjects before I head to the US to look for work.

Knave
13th Jan 2001, 14:28
I took an Australian ATPL with CIR over to the US in 1995 and went for a US ATPL. I already had a commercial US license on seaplanes. So heres what happened.

I had to get my logbook checked by the FAA before they allowed me to sit the ATPL exam, which was done at a FBO on a computer and the result sent back within an hour. To prepare for the exam I had obtained and studied all the relevant FAR's as well as the Gleims Red Books on both Instrument and ATPL subjects. Good books for preparation these. I also had to do a flight in a light twin with an examiner of airmen, with a oral quiz before take off and the flight was much as it is in Australia. Note I already had an Aussie ATPL, so theres no rubber stamp method of getting it done. I took a light single around the area for days beforehand shooting approaches to get the gist of the place.

Also note I did it with a small FBO.. most guys do all this with the sausage factories like Flight Safety. Another think.. an aquaintance of mine was knocked back because the FAA didnt accept the copy of his log after the original had been destroyed/ lost, so cross the t's and dot the i's. I chose to get a Commercial first by doing floatplane training and the experience was invaluable ( and fun ).

Hope this helps. From memory they will let you fly in the US privately after a check out but I never tried this.

Roadtrip
14th Jan 2001, 00:10
Check out ALL ATPS -- www.allatps.com (http://www.allatps.com)
Drop them an e-mail and I'm sure they can give you advice. I came out of the military and got my ATP there. Very fast program that concentrates on just what you need, nothing more. You can do an ATP in about 3-4 days, including the written exam. I would recommend that you get a copy of the software from Gleim that replicates a FAA written exam -- good to see the format. Since the FAA releases the questions, you can study them via the software. On the exam, you just don't know which of the 1300 or so question will be on the 80 question test.

Working in the US maybe a different questions altogether -- do you have the right to work in the U.S.? If not, you're probably better off saving your money and getting work in OZ.

fut_airlplt
16th Jan 2001, 09:54
Thanks for your replies ...

What I meant in my post was whether an Australian CPL (including endorsements) can be exchanged for a FAA CPL (with all my endorsements) without having to re-do any training ?

I understand obviously there will be flight tests and pencil/paper tests involved

jabbadfatt
16th Jan 2001, 13:24
<What I meant in my post was whether an Australian CPL (including endorsements) can be exchanged for a FAA CPL (with all my endorsements) without having to re-do any training ?>

Nope. The most you will get is a PPL - you will have to repeat the CPL theory an flt test. Same goes for IR.

Good luck i've got the same plan as you!

fut_airlplt
17th Jan 2001, 07:05
Jabba,

Could you send me an e-mail ? I have a few questions that you might be able to answer.

Thanks

Ozgrade3
22nd Jan 2001, 05:17
As an Oz CPL holder with ME-CIR, you will get a PPL with ME privalages only. To get the instrument, Commercial you will have to do the writen tests and the flight tests. Note, there are a SE and ME commercial licence, involving two different flight tests.

Hope this helps.

weasil
23rd Jan 2001, 19:34
I am in the states having just done what you propose fellas so may be able to help.

OG3 is correct. No matter what license you have the most the FAA will give away now is a Private License (they don't call it a PPL and won't know what you are talking about if you say that).

The written tests are fairly easy (multiple choice)... go to www.webexams.com (http://www.webexams.com) and you can practice them for free (the actual questions) or buy the Gleim textbook. Go to www.faa.gov (http://www.faa.gov) where they have what is called the PTS (practical test standards)... this tells you everything that will be done on any checkride so you know what is expected of you.

The Commercial Single engine land ride includes performing several maneuvers Lazy 8's, Chandelles, 8's on pylons, steep turns, slow flight, stalls, soft/short field landings/ t-o's, etc.. the Oral is quite comprehensive usually too with my twin oral lasting for 3hrs and my single oral lasting for almost 4hrs.

Weather services is a lot different in the US then Australia (for one thing it's all free!!!... the FAA doesn't charge for anything). You will be quizzed indepth on how to read all the different WX charts they have here on your Instrument Ride.

One more thing.. you can't just take the checkrides.. you have to have logbook endorsements from an FAA instructor that says s/he has given you the required aeronautical training and one that says that you can take the written test also (you can't just take it either). Don't go to FLightsafety... find a small cheap FBO (fixed base operator... read aeroclub)

------------------
"..there's really nothing like a shorn scrotum. It's breathtaking, I suggest you try it"

[This message has been edited by weasil (edited 23 January 2001).]