PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Airlines...Any info appreciated.

IOS97
25th Jul 2001, 06:19
Anybody have any info about Gulfstream Airlines in Florida. Is it a good regional airline to fly with? Anything that comes to mind would be appreciated. I've looked at their website and it seems interesting.
Thanks.

Do28
27th Jul 2001, 01:12
I would avoid them like the plague. You don't get a job there, you just buy some time. Gulfstream and thier alumni are very much looked down on by other US regionals. Gulfstream talks a very good game, but in the end you will simply be out of $18,000 dollars and will only have a little SIC time to show for it. Mr. Cooper has a very clever little scam going on, but there are better ways for you to make your way in the business.

Speedbird48
27th Jul 2001, 15:26
Take the advice of DO28. This is a pay for work scheme. You will get some SIC time but at what cost?

IOS97
27th Jul 2001, 23:20
Thanks for the advise. Their website is just a pack of lies then huh. I was interested in it because Gulfstream is now a Continental Airlines feeder and I was thinking that if I do a year or two with them that I could then walk on over to Con-Ex and fly the EB-145s then get into CO. But I think I'll reconsider that route.
Tell me about Mr Cooper and how he gets away with it.
Much appreciated.

Do28
29th Jul 2001, 22:45
On the personal level, Tom Cooper is not a bad guy. I had the opportunity to meet with him when he was shopping for 172's for Gulfstream's ab initio program. He is also a very good salesperson. What he does is market this "program" towards people who want to make a career out of the airlines, but who have very little time and have not yet acquired a lot of knowledge about the companies they wish to work for. This program is sold as a short cut, where you can bypass the the CFI/Banner Towing/Traffic watch/etc hours building route. To many people, this sounds like a good deal, because not many people enjoy these hours building jobs. What he doesn't tell you is that the experiences you missed out on would have helped make you into a better rounded pilot. Also, some companies tend to look down upon those who bought thier way up verses working for it. It simply takes advantage of people who don't know any better. Good luck and fly safe.