PDA

View Full Version : Can I convert my JAA CPL/IR to FAA

ClintonBaptiste
14th Mar 2008, 21:14
I have held my JAA CPL/IR for a while now, but I am currently thinking of becoming a flight instructor.

I am thinking of teaching either in the US, Spain or the north of England. Obviously if I want to instruct in the latter two I will need my JAA FI(R), but what do I need in the US? Can I simply convert my CPL/IR to FAA, then take the US FI, or do I need to do all the FAA flight tests and exams.

Also, how will UK schools/airlines view my hours if I am an FAA instructor? Even if I get a few hundred hours instructing IFR on twins will it be worthless?

Another query, I know the FI(R) course in Spain is slightly different too, in the fact that they don't teach spins. But would a UK flight school accept my licence if I achieved it in Spain?

Many thanks.

TelBoy
15th Mar 2008, 01:58
I don't think there is any "convertion" from JAA to FAA CPL and IR. If you intend to go for FAA ratings and certificates - get yourself a copy of AIM/FAR 2008 (Airmans Information Manual/ Federal Aviation Regulations) it is part 61 of the FAR's you need. I can find no easy way, you will need to do the FAA ground exams, FAA Medical (class 2 for CPL) and FAA skills test. The FAA IR is also somewhat different to JAA I think. The Americans call flight instuctors CFI's, they will be confused by FI(R).

Good point is though, if you get the FAA CPL, CFI you can conduct BFR's back in JAA land for FAA licence holders. It will make you even more employable as an instructor.

I can't help with the JAA questions, but I'm sure somone will help.

All best

zondaracer
15th Mar 2008, 02:36
I think Oxford aviation hires JAA pilots to instruct in Arizona, but i'm not 100% sure. check out their website.

zondaracer
15th Mar 2008, 02:44
I think Oxford aviation hires JAA pilots to instruct in Arizona, but i'm not 100% sure. check out their website.

BelArgUSA
15th Mar 2008, 07:34
Dear ClintonBaptiste -
xxx
The question you ask has been asked 100, or 200+ times, if not more, in Pprune forums, please do a little research yourself.
xxx
In general terms, if you hold a foreign (ICAO-JAA), you can pass some tests and qualify for US FAA certificates and ratings. As far as working in the US, you have to inquire with schools that offer FAA and JAA training. It is up to them to get them to sponsor you for a visa, whether to train (I-20 visa), or to work. And be aware that temporary/renewable work visas are quite restrictive in the US, for flight instructors as you mention.
xxx
Training, I will say YES to all your questions, YES, you can train to be FAA instructor, YES you can be FAA instrumnent rating instructor, YES you can be FAA multi-engine instructor... As far as working in the US... generally speaking, it is NO, unless sponsored by a school, which is hard to get them to do on your behalf.
xxx
In view of the low cost of training in the US, for FAA certificates and ratings, I would definitely look at that possibility. However as far as working as flight instructor, I would prefer to work in Europe (i.e. Spain, as you mention), because of extremely low salaries paid to instructors in the US, and the number of instructors competing for these jobs.
xxx
The logic is this - If "training" is inexpensive in the US, it is obviously for a few reasons, one of which is - instructors are paid "dirt" to work in US flight schools. Look for a school in Europe that is expensive - means they pay instructors good salaries and benefits.
xxx
Good luck to you -
:)
Happy contrails