PDA

View Full Version : self sponsored A320 Type Rating??!!

highROC
14th Mar 2008, 20:19
well here goes...
ive been offered a job if m ready for a self sponsored a320 TR, basically the airline gives a letter of intent saying, if u make it through it-ur in, if not, so long succer!!!!!!
now i have been given mixed opinions about the TR itself... most of them saying it is very very difficult n so on, n more so as i have a brand new CPL n ME IR
request you seniors to shed some light on the subject..... on how difficult etc the a320 type rating actually is, n if it would be wise to give it a shot.....
PLEASE PLEASE do reply..... kinda in a dilemma

TAP
14th Mar 2008, 21:36
If you got through the CPL IR bits and bobs ok then no probs. It's a hard course but the amount of cash, and i suspect +20k you will pay im sure that'll work as a motivation tool! At the end of the day; its a big Seneca!

However..... Pay for your own rating?! I understand how difficult it is to win a job.... I hope you have exhausted all your options before helping the airlines play with our T's and C's.

Good luck

rcl7700
14th Mar 2008, 22:37
When I got hired at my airline they scared me into thinking I wasn't going to make it through my Type Rating because I came from being a CFI in light singles and twins. Granted it was a CRJ and not a 320, but I found the transition to be painless. Some guys with thousands of hours of jet time had a harder time than I did. Getting typed was not a walk in the park, but I found my Commercial Multi Inst check-ride in a Duchess to be way harder than my ride in a Level D CRJ sim.

Walker Texas Ranger
15th Mar 2008, 00:45
Heres how my first type rating went:

1. Go to class from 7am to 3 pm (PAY ATTENTION)
2. Go back to the hotel and study for an hour
3. Walk across the street with my buddys to Costco. Grab a 30 pack of beer and stick it in the frozen foods section (Their beer isnt cold).
4. Walk around and eat all the free samples until we were full
5. After eating, the beer is now cold
6. Buy the beer
7. Go to the pool
8. Get drunk at the pool
9. Go to bed
10. Wake up the next day hungover
11. Repeat steps 1 - 10

If you have half a brain and pay attention in class you will be fine. There was 19 guys in my class. There was only 4 of us in my little party group, and we all finished top of our class. Just know how to balance your job of getting the type and having fun. It will make it a lot easier. I honestly think if I would have locked myself in my room everynight and studied nonstop, I would have burnt out and struggled... Take it seriouse but dont sweat it!

Dan D'air
15th Mar 2008, 03:17
ive been offered a job if m ready for a self sponsored a320 TR

There was 19 guys in my class.

5. After eating, the beer is now cold
6. Buy the beer
7. Go to the pool
8. Get drunk at the pool

How many guys was studying English?? Or did you mean were?? Or even I'm??

Mungo Man
15th Mar 2008, 10:58
Heres how my first type rating went:

Wow! Get the man a medal! What was the type - a Cessna 172?!

Sisio
15th Mar 2008, 16:10
I've done the 320 and is not difficoult at all. Walker Texas Ranger you are lucky...when i hungover can't wake up and follow a lecture...:).

tom775257
15th Mar 2008, 16:29
Well, if you can't enjoy a cheeky pint of four after a hard day's type rating graft, what's the point :)

Seriously the 320 TR isn't that bad, the group I was with generally worked hard in the day, but you have to chill out some of the time. It helps if you can get a copy of the CBT (VACBI thing) before the type rating - I went through the whole type rating CBT before the course, did it again on the type rating, got 98% average on the theory with much Stella Artois consumption.

The flying side seemed fine to be fine.. my logbook went from 500 hours (instructing) PA-28 straight to A320. No worries.

SD.
15th Mar 2008, 19:09
Dan D'air wrote:

How many guys was studying English?? Or did you mean were?? Or even I'm??

Every village has one :ugh:

highROC
15th Mar 2008, 19:14
thank you all for your reply... ya even you Dan :*
also, those of you who attended the a320 TR... how many in your batch dint make it?... n what was the total strength?? ...... dont mean to sound pessimistic but just have to know... thanks again...

avionneta
15th Mar 2008, 19:50
be aware anyway that a letter of intent is nothing. better if you pass the skill test (should be no problem if you're young) but even with that letter your hirung is not guaranteed. depending of the plans of the company at the end of your TR course. this is the way it is !

FL470
15th Mar 2008, 22:13
I know that you probably heard this from more than one person - nonetheless here goes:

I think that NO only half decent company lets you pay for the type rating. These :mad: just don't want to invest in human ressource!

Stay clear or get at least a contract (not only a letter of intent) which states clearly that you are hired when you pass the skill test and what happens if you don't!

I sure hope that you find something else :ok:

Cheers

tom775257
16th Mar 2008, 15:45
high ROC I know many people who have gone through the A320 TR and none have failed. That said everyone was selected to some extent.

I will also note two of my friends have A320 type ratings without a job. Find a way to get your first 500+ hours jet however you can get it and doors seem to open for you. I resigned a few days ago to go to my dream job, after 1 year with an airline abroad (I'm English).

Best of luck my friend,

Sahha, Tom.

slyde55
16th Mar 2008, 15:50
Paying for the rating yourself instead of the company-BAD. Another example of pilots lowering the bar going forward...

Fakawi
16th Mar 2008, 20:27
The A320 Typerating can perfectly well be done.
But PLEASE PLASE dont think you are cool just because you massacre the english language.
(Or any language for that matter)

airvigator
26th Mar 2008, 14:56
i will be attending the course for the a320 type rating next month . I was just wondering, does the simulator hours count for currency. My last flight was my check ride in the beechcraft duchess in december last year and i wanted to make sure that if i get my type rating and return home, is my FAA cpl still current?