PDA

View Full Version : Are Cornettos getting smaller?!

Bob Viking
14th Mar 2008, 15:19
Or am I just getting bigger?!
I remember a time when they seemed almost too big to eat a whole one. Had one the other day and I reckon I could have managed it in two bites!
BV:(

Ace Rimmer
14th Mar 2008, 15:29
Mrs R and I had this conversation just the other day and our vedict was yes they are - like you we recall them be pretty chunky...

oldshuck
14th Mar 2008, 15:37
Yes they are, they are going down the same road as "Wagon Wheels" when I was a lad you could actually fit them onto wagons

Ozzy
14th Mar 2008, 16:09
Same with Creme Eggs, but Cadbury claims they are the same size and it's our hands that are bigger.........:mad:

Ozzy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th Mar 2008, 17:00
I heard they're having to redo the song. Now it'll be:

"Just two Cornettos..."

Standard Noise
14th Mar 2008, 17:09
We haven't had a 'Grumpy Old Men' thread for ages, excellent!

I wonder if that's why they brought out those 'king size' bars. Make the regular bars smaller then make a bigger bar and squeeze more moolah out of the punters.

Star Bars ain't what they used to be.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
14th Mar 2008, 17:16
but the prices are going the other way !

ShyTorque
14th Mar 2008, 18:43
Cornettos are the same size- it's trousers that are getting smaller. :(

MadsDad
14th Mar 2008, 19:03
For many, many years the Mars Bar was used as a unit of consumption by economists because it didn't vary in size or ingredients so could be compared over time (it was something like how long you had to work to earn enough to buy a Mars Bar). Then a few years ago they changed the size, upset loads of economists that did (and, yes, it WAS made smaller).

Beatriz Fontana
14th Mar 2008, 19:43
I spoke to a psychologist friend of mine about this. She reckons it's more to do with us adults growing up... Though saying that, I still think that Curly Wurly's are smaller than they used to be.

modtinbasher
14th Mar 2008, 19:46
Get Lidl corneto cones, or Lidl clorneto clones if you spleak that info. Not the same, but damn good imitation, and, you get 2.5 X for your spondulics!

Enjoy. MTB

modtinbasher
14th Mar 2008, 19:51
OMG, just remembered, Flying Saucers! How many could one get for a quid 55 years ago? They must have been 4 for one old pence! Erm, 4 X .024 X ............no....... Strongbow takes over, too dificult this time of night.

But, they must be at least 2 new pence EACH by now.

MTB

ShyTorque
14th Mar 2008, 19:54
I still think that Curly Wurly's are smaller than they used to be.

What does Curly himself have to say about this alleged atrophy?

Put1992
14th Mar 2008, 19:54
She reckons I'd's more to do with us adults growing up

Nope. Definately getting smaller

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 19:57
She reckons I'd's more to do with us adults growing up...

I don't believe that for a second....

Richard Taylor
14th Mar 2008, 20:05
Even the famous Mars Bar slogan has been shortened...WORK REST PLAY.

(Mind you how did they get "A Mars A Day Helps You Work Rest And Play" on the wrapper....:8)

Beatriz Fontana
14th Mar 2008, 20:07
Hmmm, Flying Saucers....

Better than that... Pacers....

Little Blue
14th Mar 2008, 20:39
I used to LOVE Pacers.....when I was a little air cadet, we used to nick loads of em from the tuck shop. Probably explains why I never made Corporal !

gizmocat
14th Mar 2008, 20:47
Sadly, everything is getting smaller, and we are being charged more for them.:*

Len Ganley
14th Mar 2008, 20:48
What were those paper tubes full of sherbet with a liquorice stick in them called???

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 20:49
What were those paper tubes full of sherbet with a liquorice stick in them called???

Sherbet Dip, iirc

Bill16STN
14th Mar 2008, 20:51
Sherbert Fountains - & I can remember when they only cost 2D

The bag of sherbert with a penny lolly was a "Sherbert Dibdab"

S'land
14th Mar 2008, 21:34
The bag of sherbert with a penny lolly was a "Sherbert Dibdab"

Cor, that brings back memories luvverly they was.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th Mar 2008, 21:40
Though saying that, I still think that Curly Wurly's are smaller than they used to be.and less curly

Howard Hughes
14th Mar 2008, 21:42
Good to see JB is stil addressing the BIG issues...;)

fernytickles
14th Mar 2008, 21:44
Don't you mean the rapidly-decreasing-in-size issues?

Richard Taylor
14th Mar 2008, 21:47
Jet Blast Lite :E

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 22:14
Just as sweet but no calories?

Beatriz Fontana
15th Mar 2008, 02:43

Sherbet Fountains... Oh, I've regressed into childhood all of a sudden... Next it'll be Black Bullets and Strawberries and Cream....

Dan D'air
15th Mar 2008, 03:08
Oh, I've regressed into childhood all of a sudden... Next it'll be Black Bullets and Strawberries and Cream....

And pints of Tetleys Imperial as well no doubt Beatriz?? x

15th Mar 2008, 10:41
All the flying saucers, sherbert dips and pink shrimps you could ever want.

http://www.sweetsncandy.co.uk/products.asp?cat=24

http://www.sweetsncandy.co.uk/prodimages/flysau_l.jpg

MadsDad
15th Mar 2008, 10:50
Bit of thread creep but I remember shortly after 'Popsicles' ('long thin plastic bag full of frozen fluorescent pop' would have been a more accurate, if less catchy, name) first came out Mr. T. Esco introduced his own brand version, name 'Chilly Willies'.

Withdrawn suddenly not long after as well. Can't think why.

MostlyModerate
15th Mar 2008, 10:59
Tinbash et al !

Do you remember when the singular of pence was PENNY ?

:*

MadsDad
15th Mar 2008, 11:54
There are probably some lurking round here can remember when the singular of Pence was Denarius!!

Capt.Grumpy
15th Mar 2008, 12:46
Lordy, Lordy......34 posts long and Tony Draper hasn't been on to say in his day they were about a foot long, held 3 gallons of ice cream and were a halfpenny to buy. Remarkable :hmm:

lexxity
15th Mar 2008, 12:52
Same with Creme Eggs, but Cadbury claims they are the same size and it's our hands that are bigger.........

They are in fact getting smaller and I have proof! Now you remember those little knitted chick covers you used to put over said creme eggs? The pattern for those has never changed and now they are far too big for a creme egg and swamp them! So there you go, proof.

DAL208
15th Mar 2008, 16:32
Monster Munch are also no longer monster size...they ARE getting smaller.

On a very lonely evening, i rang up the company that make Monster Munch and asked them if they were getting smaller or was i imagining it. The lady on the other end informed me that they were smaller. The idea being that a customer is more satisfied after eating more smaller things, than fewer larger things...if that makes sense.

Ever noticed how Walkers crisps have fewer and fewer crisps? There's a reason for that too. The 'standard' size starts off at something like 32g. This weight is slowly reduced over the course of a year, and then they release the '33.3% extra free!' size bag which puts it back up to the original 32g again...and so the cycle starts again!

Standard Noise
15th Mar 2008, 16:41
'Cept when you buy the multi pack bags, they're 25 grammes.
Wotsits have become piddly little things as well.

Still, we have a new shop in town which sells old fashioned sweets. Wife was dead chuffed to get a quarter ('bloody hell yes, of course I'll sell you a quarter mate!') of Army and Navy.

John Marsh
15th Mar 2008, 20:15
I remember when the standard Walkers crisps were thick 'n' tasty; not like the current anaemic offering. Now, even the 'premium' Sensations variety is not as good as the old one.

Another United Biscuits victim is the McVitie's Digestive. Definitely less tasty & less substantial. Co-Op own brand ones are better value, IMHO.

And Finnish-made McVitie's Jaffa Cakes are dismal!

lexxity
15th Mar 2008, 21:19
Monster Munch are also no longer monster size...they ARE getting smaller.

Yeah and another thing, since they took all the bad stuff out, i.e. preservatives and flavourings, etc, they don't taste the same. Really bland and tasteless.

Foss
15th Mar 2008, 22:02
This is extremely sad.
After watching Ireland losing again, facing a 40 minute walk home.
'Right, sod this I want some sweets.'
Need change, I've had two whole pints, really pushing the boat out.
MP3 player with head phones tied in a Gordian knot round the house keys, mobile and the mobile headphones. Bring this mess out of my pocket.
Check other pockets. Lighter, not one but two tins of cigars.
Oh sod it, I've got 70 odd quid in my wallet.
Walk into the sweetie shop (the Cabin, Standard) in a confusion of technology.
Friendly shopkeer, 'What do you want?'
This is a sweetie shop. There must be a hundred jars of sweets.
'Oh, I don't care anymore. Yellow ones.'

And so I watched Wales winning, eating lemon sherberts.
Fos

Standard Noise
15th Mar 2008, 22:28
Ah, The Cabin. Second best ice cream on the Peninsula. Not far from the dulse cottage, yum, yum.

ThreadBaron
14th Apr 2008, 19:43
I am pleased to report that Tunnocks Chocolate Tea Cakes are bigger than they used to be. The Baroness agrees. We ate six last night in the spirit of research. Yum!

clicker
14th Apr 2008, 23:45
I take it Baron, that was the old test, can you fit one whole in one's mouth?

ThreadBaron
15th Apr 2008, 07:30
That's it clicker. Same test applied, but there is a noticeable difference in the loft of them now. Considerably higher than of old and the chocolate seems thicker to the bite ... but just as tasty.

LordGrumpy
15th Apr 2008, 08:15
Humbugs are smaller. Which irks me plenty. The youth are being denied simple pleasures and having to substitute others.
Thats why standards are slipping. Tis the Confectioners and the greedy sugar plantation owners, who else should get some of the blame?

Effluent Man
15th Apr 2008, 08:25
"Dimension Creep" is an interesting phenomena.The general trend is for things like confectionery to get smaller.Marianne Faithfull would most likely find that she can't get no satisfaction from a 21st century Mars bar,and would need to upgrade.Cars however go the other direction and when one model replaces another it seems to be the thing to add a couple of inches to both length and width.The best example is the VW Golf,which has grown like Topsy,whoever she,he,it or they might be.

ThreadBaron
15th Apr 2008, 08:55
Topsy is a character in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Line goes something like, " 'spect I just growed. Don't think nobody made me."

Snappybits
15th Apr 2008, 09:02
That is right TB:ok:

Topsy was a "ragamuffin" young slave girl of unknown origin. When asked if she knows who made her, she professes ignorance of both God and a mother, saying "I s'pect I growed. Don't think nobody never made me."

Effluent Man
15th Apr 2008, 09:16
Thank you both for that piece of information,my knowledge of American literature extends only to Steinbeck and Hemingway.Interesting how the "Topsy" reference passed into general usage.

27mm
15th Apr 2008, 09:42
While we're on literature, here's one for you - last week I went in to Waterstones in Oxford Street and asked for a biography of Tennyson. The salesperson said "Hmm, is that like, from Prime Suspect?" Dumbing Down - damn right!

Snappybits
15th Apr 2008, 09:46
27.....is it himself your looking for or Emily Sarah Tennyson, Baroness Tennyson his wife ?

27mm
15th Apr 2008, 09:59
Hi SnappyBits, it was Alfred, Lord T and I found a good bio on Amazon, thanks.

Effluent Man
15th Apr 2008, 10:01
This links to a thread where we were discussing grammar.Standards have undoubtedly fallen but my view is that as long as we avoid the UR/M8 textspeak than that is fine by me.I do draw the line however where professionals are concerned.Just recently I have noticed a couple of howlers on TV Ceefax.Presumably these reports are compiled by qualiied journalists and I think it is reasonable to expect them to get it right.

chicocelta
15th Apr 2008, 10:07
just wanted to say that i don't know if mars bars/etc have changed sizes, i can report however that different countries have different sizes, even if the mass is the same... along with this comes different taste - but i'm sure you've all experienced this with other things such as coke etc...

Snappybits
15th Apr 2008, 10:19
I think your right on that chicocelta and not only with sweets/candy...sure Guinness is a great example...it never tastes better than in Eire;)