PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job with a major in the US

dick badcock
12th Jul 2001, 17:26
I am a First Officer with a national airline in Europe, flying the B737 EFIS. Have about 1000 total, and about 700 on the B737. I am a US citizen, went to college (Go Hokies!) and have a FAA CPL in addition to my JAR CPL. What are my chances of getting an interview with a major?

Do they purely look at your hours or are there different gradings of flight time? A friend of mine is a captain with a regional, he tells me they only look at PIC, turbine. I do not have very much PIC time, but a lot of experience in a big airline, flying all over Europe. Have been employed for a year and a half now, but have decided to start looking westwards for work, as the pay is much better.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

CAVU
12th Jul 2001, 19:22
Sounds like you're getting some quality time, but you'll need an FAA ATPL and at least 4000 hours to be competetive at a major US airline.

The regional airlines feed the big guys and they are turning out RJ Captains with 4-6000TT and 2000 turbine PIC.

Would recommend you contanct AirInc to get the most accurate information.

Good Luck.

McD
13th Jul 2001, 09:07
Some airlines will hire you before you have your ATP, as long as you have your Commercial certificate and other specific ratings/certificates. CAVU is correct that you will need quite a few more hours under your belt. My new-hire class average was 4000 hours.

Having said that, there's no reason you shouldn't make some inquiries to the specific companies, or AirInc (like CAVU mentioned). It is never too early to learn what the companies are looking for, so you can prepare yourself for the future. Best wishes!

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: McD ]

15th Jul 2001, 00:28
Changing the theme slightly. What are the opportunities like in the US compared to europe? Training costs are virtually half of what they are here. Would it be wiser to 'go commercial' there?

Thanks

152 :)

CAVU
16th Jul 2001, 19:01
They are usually half only in terms of exchange rate. The schools that are advertising these prices often misrepresent the costs and the quality of training is dubious to say the least.

The percentage of people starting flight training in the United States is probably the highest in the World. The proportion that actually make it to the airlines, epecially the majors is very small.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent, but...Academy X' Ab-initio class of 115 students. Many left during private training, half left during instrument and the attrition continued until 15 were left at the end of training. 12 hired as instructors 7 went on to the regionals.

If you do decide to train in the States, your number one priority should be to find a quality school, namely, one of the academys. In all honesty, this will probably cost you at least the same, if not more than a UK school, when you include living expenses. Then there is the process of a lengthy and expensive conversion.

If you are fortunate enough to have a work visa you will need a four year degree to get hired by one of the major carriers (with exceptionally rare instances) and you can bet this requirement will be resurected by the regionals when the hiring dries up- not as far away as the training industry is selling.

As I have already said, you will also have to have considerably more hours to get on to either regional or major than anywhere else in the World

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but just to give some truth about the training over here. I have met many people that have wasted much time, money and heartache, having based their hopes on some flight school salesman's nonesense.

GL

[ 16 July 2001: Message edited by: CAVU ]

IOS97
19th Jul 2001, 09:35
DBC no worries. 2 more years and you are golden if you are flying the regional jets.

152 there are lots of opportunities in the States but as the pilot from Florida said you have to be very careful about the school you choose. Things tend to be a little hyped up on this side of the Atlantic and that goes for flight schools too. When in doubt go with the tried and true academies such as Flight Safety(Flor), Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University(Flor), Sierra Academy of Aeronautics(Cali). Also be sure you can do a JAA conversion. As for actual opportunities for jobs in the States as a pilot you gotta have citizenship or a Green Card(permanent residency status) and it is tough to get. Best bet is through personal relationships or move to Cuba and paddle to Florida in a dingy. Just kidding.