PDA

View Full Version : Some good news at last possibly- Missing schoolgirl reported found alive

Bahn-Jeaux
14th Mar 2008, 15:29
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7296756.stm

BBc has story.

Missing West Yorkshire schoolgirl Shannon Matthews has been found alive, three weeks after going missing.

West Yorkshire Police confirmed the girl had been found concealed in the base of a divan bed in a house in Lidgate Gardens in Batley Carr.

Neighbours said police smashed their way in and emerged carrying Shannon who was last seen leaving Westmoor Junior School in Dewsbury on 19 February.

A 39-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of abduction.

Parapunter
14th Mar 2008, 16:14
Great news. I'm made up to hear this.

Bob Viking
14th Mar 2008, 16:23
A happy ending to what was looking like a not very happy story!
Well done to the police!
BV:ok:

gingernut
14th Mar 2008, 16:38
Be good to have a "good news" thread on JB.

D'ya think there's enough good news to keep it going?

sitigeltfel
14th Mar 2008, 16:47
I suppose all the police involved in the search will be re-deployed to control the party that will take place tonight :D

Sailor Vee
14th Mar 2008, 17:07
At least her Dad can now have a rest from scouring the surrounding countryside. :ok: He says the news is 'like winning the lottery'....hear, hear! :D

SOTV
14th Mar 2008, 17:12
Reported it was a member of her extended family who was arrested. Hope the babby comes through this trauma without too many scars.

Curious Pax
14th Mar 2008, 17:14
Good news she's been found. Sky News claims that the man arrested is a member of her mother's partner's extended family.

Assume the usual will now follow - all the Sunday tabloids will be waving their chequebooks around at the family. One will get the exclusive, whilst the disappointed papers will run stories with negative stories about the family in revenge.

Tigs2
14th Mar 2008, 17:32
I don't think it is possible to even imagine the emotions her parents are going through now. I await with baited breath to hear how the police pulled this one off. I am not a fan of the police on a day to day basis (to quantify i mean, run by trivia, focused on targets for, prosecute victims instead of criminals etc) however, respect where respect is due. Well done to the crew who executed this operation. Go home, sit down put your feet up and feel bloody proud.

Beethoven
14th Mar 2008, 17:56
Great news, and makes me proud of my colleagues in west yorkshire. Good job.

Beet.

Standard Noise
14th Mar 2008, 18:16
Report on the beeb said they found her as a result of a 'routine enquiry'. I take it they mean as a result of good old fashioned coppering on house to house enquiries.
Nice to have one of these stories turn out with a great result for a change.

flowman
14th Mar 2008, 18:28
Great news! Well done Police

ShyTorque
14th Mar 2008, 18:56
I think it was probably the result of a tip-off. Knock on door, no answer. Door put through, man arrested and girl found inside a bed.

Well done, thank goodness she has been found. I hope she is intact in mind and body.

2 sheds
14th Mar 2008, 19:18
"Extended family" - a euphemism for the underlying problem, perhaps?

scruggs
14th Mar 2008, 19:27
Great news, nice to see one of these cases have a positive outcome.

S

wiggy
14th Mar 2008, 19:44
Brilliant. This family were well and truely under the media microscope so it's good to see this girl back with her Mum.

BOFH
14th Mar 2008, 19:50
2 sheds

Indeed. In Australia we had 'colourful personality'.

BOFH

seekayess
14th Mar 2008, 20:07
News says that there are hundreds of peeps dancing in the streets!

Good onya!! :ok::ok:

helimutt
14th Mar 2008, 20:14
yes, it is good news for the family. At least with the media attention they can now afford Stella over that Carling they were seen buying last week. Celebrations all round.

Maybe it was all a set up for money? Conspiracy theorists unite.

Just nice to know whatever the reasons/coppering skills/etc etc, the girl is safe and well. Hopefully not too emotionally scarred.

Richard Taylor
15th Mar 2008, 11:13
I have to wonder though. Was the girl hiding there (in that house & specifically in the storage space under the bed) in a bid not to be found, or did her step-uncle (is there such a term? - was the uncle of her step-father anyway) indeed abduct & hold her kidnapped in his house, stuffing her into the bed storage space when the police showed up?

Hope the police get to the bottom of it, but something doesn't add up.:confused:

DX Wombat
15th Mar 2008, 13:10
something doesn't add up.Which is, presumably, why she is still in care rather than at home. The theory being that nobody will be able to persuade or influence her to tell anything other than the actual facts, rather than a version which might suit the family / relatives / friends etc. I can't find it now, but I'm sure I saw something somewhere which mentioned that the little girl was particularly vulnerable so it is vital for her sake that the full facts are established as well as for justice to be served. This will not happen overnight and will require very skilled, sensitive work by properly trained people.
It was, allegedly, a very alert neighbour who heard the sound of a child's feet in the flat above (where no children were known to live), and reported the matter to the police.

flower
2nd Apr 2008, 11:45
Latest development

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7326006.stm

Sailor Vee
2nd Apr 2008, 11:57
There's even more that doesn't add up now! Speculation that she was avoiding her step-father.

Standard Noise
2nd Apr 2008, 15:52
Oh what a tangled web we weave.............

frostbite
2nd Apr 2008, 18:11
What a lovely family!

Make 'Shameless' look like a middle class soap.

modtinbasher
2nd Apr 2008, 19:47
By the look of that pair this is clearly the result of too much education, education education!

MTB

ZH875
16th Apr 2008, 11:20
And guess who (is alleged to have) helped.

Her own mother (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7350062.stm)

The second charge states she "repeatedly concealed information" in relation to Shannon's whereabouts.

And more of her family have been caught cheating the benefit system.

barry lloyd
16th Apr 2008, 11:36
The red-tops will just love it when this case comes to court. They must be slavering over the increased circulation figures already!

Sailor Vee
16th Apr 2008, 11:42
The girl's mother and her step-father's uncle to be tried together over the abduction!! :confused: :uhoh:

Curious Pax
16th Apr 2008, 11:57
Add the reports about people connected with the family hassling the McCann fund for money, and it all starts to sound like a scam: hide the kid, drum up a load of support for a fund to find her, then (I guess) have her found a few weeks later abandoned somewhere to much relief all round and a greatly increased bank balance. Suspect the court case will be quite interesting when it gets there!

barry lloyd
16th Apr 2008, 12:13
hide the kid, drum up a load of support for a fund to find her, then (I guess) have her found a few weeks later abandoned somewhere to much relief all round

Whilst at the same time fraudulently claiming benefits - allegedly.

Sounds like a nice little earner!

S'land
16th Apr 2008, 15:06
Makes you wonder how the public will react if another kid goes missing from one of these chav estates.
This is the real tragedy of this case. If the whole situation was thought up as a scam then it is possible that in future the public may not be as supportive and helpful as they have been in the past. The problem is that not everyone on these "chav estates" is crooked.

It is the child in this situation that I feel sorry for.