PDA

View Full Version : Airport Expansion & Objectors

'Chuffer' Dandridge
14th Mar 2008, 15:07
Heard a BAA spokesman on the radio this morning saying that there have been no new airports built in the Southeast of the UK since WW2. Is this really true? If so, can this be considered a victory for bureaucracy, NIMBYism or just that we are lagging behind again…

The only ‘new’ airport I can think of in the whole of the UK (i.e not a rebuilt military airfield) is Sheffield?

How do other countries deal with airport construction and the obligatory planning objections or are we in the UK pandering yet again to the tree huggers?

The SSK
14th Mar 2008, 15:19
London City

The most bizarre example I can think of was the second runway at Dusseldorf which took an absolute age to get through the planning process. One of the conditions for its approval was that the 2-runway airport would have an absolute movements cap, however by the time it was ready, this cap had been well passed by the single runway.

The airport found itself in the situation that if one single flight used the new runway, the movement cap would immediately come into effect. The protesters kept a constant vigil at the airport just in case it happened, and the airport authirities lived in constant fear that an inbound aircraft would use the wrong runway by mistake.

I think some sort of comprpmise was eventually worked out, but it took a couple of years.

sitigeltfel
14th Mar 2008, 15:22
If all these objectors are serious, I would expect them to be handing their passports back to be stamped, "Not valid for Air Travel".

I would not expect a large queue!

The SSK
14th Mar 2008, 15:46
Since Paris-CDG opened in 1974, I can think of only 2 or 3 major European airports which have been built on greenfield sites:
Lyon Satolas (1975) - not sure if that was greenfield
Munich (1992)
Athens (2001)

Milan Malpensa and Oslo Gardermoen were touted as new but were existing commercial airports for longhaul traffic, Same thing is happening now in Berlin with Schoenfeld.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
14th Mar 2008, 17:40
Forgot about LCY. Just thought of another - Lydd. But then it's situated in such an awful place, I dont suppose anyone wanted to bother complaning, until now that is. The owners want to expand slightly, up the movements and the local NIMBYs are soon on the case...

old,not bold
14th Mar 2008, 20:10
BAA spokesman on the radio this morning saying that there have been no new airports built in the Southeast of the UK since WW2Hmmm, one of the contributory factors has been BAA's efforts to make sure that no airport would be developed to compete with their 3 London Airports....especially during the farcical "consultation" culminating in the White Paper called "The Future of Air Transport" in Dec 2003. BAA's staff seconded to Dept for Transport to "assist" made very sure that no proposal other than developing BAA properties was supported by HMG.

second runway at Dusseldorf Another tactic used by objectors was to exploit a German law that while a hearing into an objection was in progress nothing could be done. So as soon as one came to an end another was lodged, often by one of those objectors who had bought the houses off the end of the runway, sold them to the airport, and then bought another there with the proceeds.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
16th Mar 2008, 00:30
Someone connected to Lydd once told me that this little fact isn't heavily publicised

I heard that 'somebody' persuaded the Saudis to put money into the airport and develop it as yet another 'London' Airport..... What with the excellent transport links from Romney Marsh to the centre of London etc.

Kent is widely regarded as the Garden of England. Lydd can only be described as the compost heap at the bottom of said garden:eek: