PDA

View Full Version : B1900 Rating, Where and how much??

mali
19th Dec 2000, 04:02
Sitting here in Sydney, Oz
I'm wondering where in the States is the best/cheapest deal to get the B1900 Rating on your ticket, as i'm looking at making a trip!
Thanks in advance.

NIMBUS
19th Dec 2000, 09:47
FSI in New York.
Excellent equipment and instructors, and at least 3 Aussies (probably more!) got ratings there.
Sorry, no idea on price!

BorneoPilot
20th Dec 2000, 09:05
What does FSI stand for?

NIMBUS
20th Dec 2000, 10:13
FlightSafety International. Pretty big outfit. Several locations in the US and in China, France, and Spain (I think!).

PS. They've also got a division called MarineSafety, with full motion boat/ship simulators. Strange...!

pigboat
21st Dec 2000, 04:47
Mali, try <A HREF="http://www.flightsafety.com" TARGET="_blank">www.flightsafety.com</A> for B1900 type rating. Suggest using the facility in Canada because of the dollar difference vis the US.

F111
22nd Dec 2000, 03:29
FSI at LaGuardia (NYC) have both the 1900D and 1900C sims. The C only has night visuals.
There is a motel (Clarion)a few km's away where alot of the instructors(not many live in NYC), students and most pilots from the majors who fly into LaGuardia stay.
The problem I found when I went there (Did the Shorts 360 endorsement) was the lack of knowledge that they have about the Australian licence system plus what a NDB circling Approach is.
To cut a long story short we came back with a Shorts 360 Type rating (thats what they call it there) VFR only on a US private licence.

Trader
23rd Dec 2000, 05:37
Flight Safety in Toronto, Canada also has a new level D 1900 sim. They would be more versed in NDB approachs here I can assure you. Plus your living expenses wuld be in Canadian dollars!!!

britavia
24th Dec 2000, 03:24
Kinda strange not to be "well versed" in NDB approaches. We did that (and holds) for the SIC 121 initial in an F27 sim down in Miami, though admittedly, that wasn't at FSI.

F111
24th Dec 2000, 15:10
We did do NDB approaches in the Shorts sim but they were straight in approaches (ie Rwy 22 NDB at LGA). All they did was vector you for about a 30 degree intercept.
Here in Australia most airports (except for the majors) only have NDB approaches and not many are straight in.
The approach starts overhead the NDB, you track outbound for 2-3 mins decending to a set altitude, then you turn back tracking inbound on descent to the minima. On reaching the minima and if visual you can descend to 300' AGL within the circling area (which for the Shorts is 2.66nm) and circle around to land(just like you guys did 30 years ago).
When we told FSI thats what we do and wanted to do one the best they could come up with was the 04 VOR at JFK fly that approach and atthe minima break off and land on 31R at JFK.

[This message has been edited by F111 (edited 24 December 2000).]

Big jugs
29th Dec 2000, 17:15
By going to canada you can get a temporary licence with a 1900 type rating on it. This would be equivilate to the CASA B1900 class command endorsement.

Make sure you get a letter from the training org stating that you have meet all the requirements of CAO 40.1 for the issue of a command endorsement (look at the appendix to CAO 40.1).

Just about anyone with a CASA deligation can then put the sticker into your logbook without having to go for a fly.

CASA is due to revoke CAO 40.1, that means in the future you will get a multi engine land rating (for all twins below 12500 lbs/5700 kg), and you will only get type ratings on larger A/C, none of this co-pilot endorsement crap, similar to the FAA or Canadian systems.

Max Glide
1st Jan 2001, 07:11
Did you know that 'Mali' is 'Gardner' in Pakistani...
:)
Anyway, do look up Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beech, FL. Heard they offer BE1900 rating.
Good Luck!

mali
4th Jan 2001, 05:23
Thanks for the info guys, does anyone out there know what sort of cost I'm looking at??

Big jugs
5th Jan 2001, 00:39
Have a look at the training directory at http://atwonline.com/, send a few emails out.

Dont be surprised that B737 type rating would only be few grand more than a 1900, BTW impulse likes their own training arrangements.

It is cheaper to go to Impulse to get the rating for OZ$8,000 with a job attached to it.