PDA

View Full Version : A cure for insomnia

frostbite
14th Mar 2008, 13:53
Don't say you weren't warned!

It takes seven litres of water and 162g of oil to create a one-litre plastic bottle. (The Observer)

A cotton T-shirt takes 27,000 litres of water to manufacture. (The Guardian)

In Venezuela, petrol costs 0.7p a litre. You can fill up a 4x4 for 42p. (The Guardian)

Since 2000, almost 2bn of public money has been spent on IT projects that the Government has since abandoned. (The Guardian)

In 1963, food accounted for 24% of the average household budget; it now accounts for only 9%. (Daily Mirror)

Five million people, or one in 10 adults, spend more than they earn on a monthly basis, according to financial comparison website Uswitch. More, BBC

The average UK home has 4.7 television sets. More, BBC

The three most common requests by people planning their own funerals are to be cremated with their pet's ashes; to have a mobile phone in the coffin; and to ensure they are dead!!! (Age Concern)

Ten times as many Chinese people watch Premier League football as do British people. (The Guardian)

In 2006 more women (244) than men (234) were ordained as clergy in the Church of England for the first time since the introduction of women priests in 1994. (The Guardian, 14th November 2007)

In central London in the late 17th century, post was delivered ten to 12 times a day. (At Large and at Small: Confessions of a Literary Hedonist, by Anne Fadiman)

Two thirds of the world's people have never seen snow. (Canadian Weather Trivia Calendar 2008)

The Harappan civilisation in what is now Pakistan and northwest India had flushing toilets in houses linked with drains in 2500 BC. (Spiked online, 30th October 2007)

In the 1992-93 season, there were 363 English players in the Premier League - 71 per cent of the total. Last season there were 191 - 38 per cent of the total. (Professional Footballers' Association)

Only one in every 400 stop and searches carried out under the anti-terrorism laws leads to an arrest, In 2005-06, one force, City of London, carried out 6,846 stops of pedestrians and vehicles without finding enough evidence to justify a single arrest. (The Guardian, 31st October 2007)

China won 63 medals at the 2004 Olympics, 32 of them gold. India won one, a silver in shooting. (Prospect, December)

About 11 per cent of the British population is left-handed - up from 3 per cent a century ago. (Sunday Times, 16th September 2007)

In Britain, eight walkers have died as a result of cow stampedes in the past ten years. (Daily Mail, 29th October 2007)

The only major religion not to endorse abstinence from food on special occasions is Sikhism. (New Yorker, 3rd September 2007)

There were 17.1 million families in the UK in 2006. The average number of children per family has dropped to 1.8.

The Finns spend more on ice cream than any other European nation, averaging $110 a head in 2005 - just beating the Italians. Britons spend less than half that figure. (Euromonitor)

Despite its oil reserves, 99 per cent of Norway's electricity is produced by hydroelectric sources. (Encarta)

The 2006 World Cup final had a higher US television audience than the 2006 baseball World Series. (New Republic, 17th July 2007)

British families spend as much time eating together today as they did in the 1970s. (Economic and Social Research Council)

The production of a kilogram of beef emits the same amount of CO2 as the average European car driving 250 kilometres. (New Scientist, 21st July 2007)

In the UK half of people aged 55-64 have no retirement funds in place even though 86 per cent know the state pension won’t support them. (Taylor Nelson Sofres Research, November 2007)

In Britain, the mean average weekly wage for foreign-born workers is 424, compared with 395 for the native-born. (The Times, 17th October 2007)

A pedestrian anywhere inside Paris's "75" postal code is never more than 500 metres from a Metro station. (International Herald Tribune, 18th June 2007)

In the US, tobacco kills nearly half a million people annually; more than HIV, alcohol, illegal drugs, suicide and homicide combined. (Times Literary Supplement, 28th September 2007)

The two most popular US presidential candidates among donors affiliated to the military are the Republican Ron Paul and the Democrat Barack Obama, both of whom are antiwar. (The Daily Dish, 19th October 2007)

In 1990, it was made illegal in Iran for Iranian women to marry Afghan men. (Prospect research)

Krystal n chips
14th Mar 2008, 14:36
You missed the most effective by far........one those pious, monotone, lectures to the nation by Dawn Primadonna :ugh:

pineridge
14th Mar 2008, 15:30
"Despite its oil reserves, 99 per cent of Norway's electricity is produced by hydroelectric sources."

Wrong.

Sailor Vee
14th Mar 2008, 15:45
The 2006 World Cup final had a higher US television audience than the 2006 baseball World Series. (New Republic, 17th July 2007)
Not really surprising. (OK it is boring!)

Tigs2
14th Mar 2008, 17:13
Actually Frostbite, rather than pick any holes in what you have written, I found that a jolly interesting read. Infact, my only complaint would be on your choice of thread title. It was not a cure for insomniacs, i could read stuff like that all night long. For me it would cause insomnia:} Thanks for your efforts:ok:

Pineridge

Its very rude just to say 'wrong' without an explanation of why and sources. Frostbite has quoted Encarta. From a completely different source i have

The power supply in Norway is primarily from hydroelectric power plants. Of the total production in 2004 of 110 TWh, 109 TWh was from hydroelectric plants, 900 GWh was from thermal power, and 260 GWh was wind generated. In 2004 the total consumption was 120 TWh.NVE

and from another

Norway accounts for almost 5% of the world's entire HEP production. HEP is the most important source of energy in the country, providing 99% of its electricity .

And your source of information is what? Because you live there?? Do some research eh!

gingernut
14th Mar 2008, 18:05
50% of people are above average.

(is that strictly true?)

Tigs2
14th Mar 2008, 18:59
Ginger
Is that yours? I can't see where Frostbite wrote that. I would have thought that 50% of people are average, because that would be the average! i.e if 50% of people were above average then the average would slide and they would be the average. Thats how averages work.

BOFH
14th Mar 2008, 19:43
Tigs

I guess they went to their neighbour's place for the extra ten terawatts :)

I fully endorse the use of HEP despite turgidity for nuclear power. Why not? But until they learn how to export fjords to us, we have to use dirty fascist fossil fuels - which they - er - sell.

Ginger is right - it's not as though it's a shifting target. For example, had you an IQ of 100, you are in the middle of the Bell curve. If it's less, you are vulnerable and disadvantaged; if it's more, you are elitist scum and the test means nothing because it does not take into account the vulnerable and disadvantaged.

We all know that that isn't true.

BOFH

Rightbase
14th Mar 2008, 20:12
There are a few unfortunate people who have lost a leg. So the average number of legs is a bit less than 2.

There is nobody with the average number of legs. There are a few people with less than the average number, but the vast majority of us have a tiny bit more than the average number of legs.

PaperTiger
14th Mar 2008, 20:56
There is nobody with the average number of legs. There are a few people with less than the average number, but the vast majority of us have a tiny bit more than the average number of legs.How much of one of one's legs would one need to lose to conform to the average (1.999999999 etc) ? Are toenails included ?

Beatriz Fontana
14th Mar 2008, 21:09
The most effective this week has been Darling's budget speech.

Blimey, that was dull...