PDA

View Full Version : VFR/scenic flying over Paris - recommendations?

rmdr2
14th Mar 2008, 10:16
Hi there folks

I am going to be flying to central France from London. Shortest flight path takes me directly over Paris.

I will be flying VFR in a light single-engined aircraft.

If the flight restrictions in Paris are anything like London, this is not possible. However, I am hoping that the French are a little more practical than the British when it comes to common sense.

So the question is:

Are there (scenic) VFR corridors over Paris that would allow for some sight-seeing on the way to Central France?

Many thanks

roljoe
14th Mar 2008, 10:52
Hi,

to start with,

have a look at this link..plenty of basic info for vfr flight in France..

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/asp/frameset_fr.asp?m=26

rmdr2
14th Mar 2008, 11:13
Oooops

forgot to mention that I only have high-school French. So I can order a coffee and a cake, but not so hot on the technicalities of VFR corridors in French Airspace.

I saw a VFR guide on that website in French. Do you know if there is an English version?

richatom
14th Mar 2008, 11:40
IMO not a good idea flying around VFR in France if you don't understand French. OK, you will be safe enough in controlled airspace as the controllers speak English, but outside of controlled airspace you are flying radio blind. Imagine a French-speaking pilot bumbling around in the UK speaking French? Obviously no other VFR pilot would have a clue where he was. Same applies in France - most VFR pilots and AFIS don't speak English. OK, it is *legal* for you to fly VFR with English r/t but I don't think it is a good idea frankly.

I think to fly in France you should either fly IFR (when English is ok) or if you wish to fly VFR you should have ICAO level 4 French.

Just something to bear in mind - have a good flight!

jr of dallas
14th Mar 2008, 14:39
Richatom, France is not Africa..(not yet) I have a few british friends flying in VFR down to Dordogne region every week _end (and they're not level 4 in french), even when you're in G airspace you can get flight information from ATC.
In fact there is not that many Afis agent unable to communicate in english...unless you go and land on a grass trip in the middle of the country (where it's auto-info frequency anyway)

jr of dallas
14th Mar 2008, 14:50
rmdr2 check your PM !
cheers

richatom
14th Mar 2008, 19:19
I once watched and heard an English pilot landing at a French uncontrolled airfield in the opposite direction to a departing French aircraft - neither understood each other. I know that legally you can fly VFR in France speaking English on the radio - but I don't think it is a great idea.

rmdr2
14th Mar 2008, 20:21
Hi there guys

didn't want to start a debate on English vs French as the primary R/T language.

I have flown in France a number of times and have enough French to get by. However, I have found that most ATC are happy to speak in English.

Plus, I am guessing the controllers in and around Paris are a little more "on the ball" than those in the sleepy back-waters of rural France. Either way, RT communications shouldn't be a problem.

So, back to the question....

Is it possible to do a scenic VFR flight over Paris?

ACCP
14th Mar 2008, 22:55
From http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/texteregle/Guide%20VFR%20Mars%202008%2007.pdf

That's on page 68:

2) Cas particulier: le survol de la ville de Paris est
interdit sauf dérogation délivrée à titre exceptionnel.

2) Special case: overflying of Paris town is prohibited
except with an exemption issued exceptionally.

No luck here I'm afraid; there's still a lot of France left outside Paris. Provinciaux like me are quite happy staying a long way away from the capital.
Why don't you follow the Loire river all the way to central France? It's quite scenic too.

Have a good trip.

gabon flyer 2
15th Mar 2008, 09:20
Hello there!!!

VFR sightseing over Paris is strictly forbidden but you could plan a full stop to Le Bourget(and it will allow you to overfly la defense and l etoile if you are lucky enough) as long as you had filled the appropriate VFR flight plan before...But check your NOTAMs as sometimes LFPB is restricted during peak period.
I hope it willl help
Cheers and happy landings

Myster Mask
15th Mar 2008, 10:39
VFR over Paris, what a nice idea, but forbidden I'm afraid.
"French more practical than British", another nice idea! But once more forget it!

My advice: follow the advice from ACCP, have a nice trip over a nice area.

I don't think there's any problem about english, just stay in contact with ATC, even if just for information service, and if you make an effort to speak slowly in an understandable way, they will be very happy to help you (like everywhere, when people feel that you make efforts, they feel like helping you! If you don't make any, they won't feel like doing any, that's a human thing!). Most controllers don't have a very high level in english, that's true, but will be happy to practise! Just use easy phrases.

To sum up: avoid Paris as you would avoid London, for the rest, welcome in France!