PDA

View Full Version : Consider the Dutch

ORAC
14th Mar 2008, 08:25
I'm not sure if this is PC madness, or just madness. "Research showed that many people find this disturbing," said Mr van Grieken, referring to dogs running around off the leash. Presumably he considers that everyone will be totally unconcerned about what's going on in the bushes....

Dutch to legalise gay sex in public park (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/13/wgay113.xml)

Dutch council officials will permit gay sex in public areas but fine dog owners who let their pets off the leash in Amsterdam's Vondelpark.

Paul van Grieken, an Alderman in the Oud-Zuid district of the city, has startled many Amsterdammers, despite their famously liberal attitudes, with plans to allow public sex as part of this summer's new rules of conduct for the country's best-known park. "Why should we try to impose something that is actually impossible to impose, which also causes little bother for others and for a certain group actually means much pleasure?", he said.

Amsterdam's beautiful Vondelpark in the centre of city draws hordes of summer visitors, families, skaters and joggers. But the park's rose garden has become famous as a trysting spot for gay men looking for uncomplicated sexual encounters.

Mr van Grieken stresses that tolerance to "cruising" gays, aimed at protecting homosexuals from violence, will have "strict rules attached". "Thus, condoms must always be cleared away, it must never take place in the neighbourhood of children's playgrounds and the sex must be restricted to the evening and night-time," he said.

The new park rules have the blessing of the Dutch police, who have urged all Dutch parks to follow Amsterdam's lead.

But Amsterdam's dog owners are less impressed. The new park code of conduct will set out stiff fines for dogs that are allowed to run around the Vondelpark off the leash. "Research showed that many people find this disturbing," said Mr van Grieken.

One dog owner protested: "As long as the park has existed, we've been allowed to let our dogs run freely. It's outrageous that we will be punished from now on but public sex won't. If they can drop their trousers, why can't I let my dog loose?"

Arm out the window
14th Mar 2008, 08:27
What if your dog's gay and has sex while he's off the leash, is that OK?

Curious Pax
14th Mar 2008, 09:22
Presumably the intention is to prevent dogs becoming confused as to what is a stick and what isn't.

Seriously it sounds like another example of Dutch pragmatism, as is also the case with prostitution and drugs. They seem to take the attitude that having a ban on something that is then ignored is rather pointless, so it is better to try and control it by other means. Not sure if that is the best way of dealing with some things, but it has its merits.

tony draper
14th Mar 2008, 11:39
As long as it's not compulsory. :ooh:

angels
14th Mar 2008, 11:45
Hmm, brings to mind the tale of the two dogs sitting in the vet surgery.

One enquires what the other is doing there and he explains that he's having 'the op' because he's a serial shagger. The other says he's also a serial shagger and is there because his mistress stumbled getting out of the shower and while she was on all fours he decided to take advantage of the situtaion.

The other dog says, 'So you're here for 'the op' as well?'

"No. I'm having my nails clipped...." :eek:

Dan D'air
14th Mar 2008, 12:17
Topically, it was on Sky news text yesderday that the Dutch government have voted unanimously (no pun intended) to ban bestiality. Apparently it was hitherto legal as long as the animal wasn't mistreated. The mind boggles.......

tony draper
14th Mar 2008, 13:01
Things go on as they are and it will prolly soon be the husband yer see wearing a black bra.

CherokeeDriver
14th Mar 2008, 13:03
For goodness don't let the mayor of London read this, else it will be in his manefesto in 5 mins flat. And there was me thinking only the English come up with this nonsence....

angels
14th Mar 2008, 13:19
Cherokee - half of City Hall are out on Clapham Common each night anyway (watching badgers of course).

Re the Dutch and curtains. My ropy memory tells me that the Dutch have an aversion to curtains because of the blackout during the war. When hostilites ended Queen Wilhelmina (sp) said 'let the lights shine out' or somesuch and so that is why many Dutch houses don't have curtains.

I stand to be corrected on that.

Juud
14th Mar 2008, 14:31
Dan D´air, do tell.
What about a ban on bestiality boggles your mind?
I know that sheep [email protected] is a time-honoured Anglo-Saxon tradition. And I have understood from your posts that you favour the Traditional British Way of Life. Yet from the frequent allusions here on JB to the renewed vibrancy of your love life, I would have thought that perhaps.... ? No?
Hmm, just shows you can never tell about people´s lives from reading their posts I suppose. ;)

Interview with a Parliamentarian from the Party for the Animals on tv last night:
"I have watched a number of these Balkan produced movies, and the animals do not appear to be in any distress. The dogs especially, seem to enjoy their involvement. Still, it is not the way nature intended and as champions for the animals, we of the Dierenpartij welcome the ban.
We do however question the hypocrisy of the Chamber in banning this while closing its eyes to the un-aneasthetised castration of hundreds of thousands of male piglets every year. The only regulation covering THAT particulatr practice is the wearing of ear protectors by the castrator. :rolleyes: "
Guy´s got a point there. :ok:

In the Vondelpark, loose undisciplined dogs owned by feral teens are startling the OAPs and scaring the kiddies - so the council mandates leashing.
Earthshattering decision worthy of mentioning on Skynews.

Unless you go out of your way at night, into certain areas of the park, you won´t even notice these people having a slap & tickle in the bushes.
But the council doesn´t want its employees burdened with cleaning up used condoms so it regulates the practice.
Yet another earthshattering decision worthy of Skynews and an ORAC-thread on JB. :rolleyes:

Angels, spot on. :)

Greek God
14th Mar 2008, 14:36
Well it is called Vondelpark :)

Sunray Minor
14th Mar 2008, 14:59
ORAC,

I think the point may be that unleashed dogs will run around, most likely ending up mounting, crapping, barking, slobbering or biting you or your vicinity.

I somehow doubt the gay or straight couples sneaking off for a quick 'exchange of body fluids' cause quite the same problems.

Ozzy
14th Mar 2008, 15:03
I somehow doubt the gay or straight couples sneaking off for a quick 'exchange of body fluids' cause quite the same problems.

I expect they'll be doing the same as the dogs, except for perhaps the crapping!:E:E

Ozzy

Dushan
14th Mar 2008, 16:45
It is a known fact that "the religion of peace" forbids any contact with dogs. Is it possible that the Dutch, in order to be super PC, want to ensure a loose dog does not lick one of the members of that religion. Then again the other is forbidden too....

finalchecksplease
14th Mar 2008, 16:53
Juud,

I think after reading the Dan D’air post that what boggles his mind is that bestiality was legal before in the Netherlands as long the animal wasn’t mistreated not the fact that they have banned bestiality now.

Greetings,

Finalchecksplease

Capot
14th Mar 2008, 20:27
Juud

On a point of order.............

sheep [email protected] is a time-honoured Anglo-Saxon traditionNo, it's actually and very specifically a Welsh tradition, going back to Celtic traditions in their past. It has been attributed in several scholarly studies carried out by the Universities of Abergavenny, Builth Wells and Barry to the loneliness of the shepherds' lives, following their sheep around on the barren Welsh hills, exacerbated by the poor eyesight that so besets the Celts.

frostbite
14th Mar 2008, 22:09
...and it suits their parsimonious nature that the sheep don't have to be paid.

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 22:25
<thinks about old joke about sheep having no top teeth or gag reflex, then decides against it>

:E

tony draper
14th Mar 2008, 23:20
I wouldn't worry to much we stepped past being enlightened into decadence a while back, give it a few years and interspecies marriage will be legal, if not positively encouraged, rather like homosexuality.
:cool:

BOFH
14th Mar 2008, 23:42
TD

Then it really will be the cow or the bitch getting the house upon divorce!

BOFH

Two's in
15th Mar 2008, 01:08
The new park code of conduct will set out stiff fines

Fnarr, fnarr...

tinpis
15th Mar 2008, 01:57
It was full of drug crazed hippies in my day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/FreakBrothers.jpg/180px-FreakBrothers.jpg

Dan D'air
15th Mar 2008, 04:39
Juud, Sorry for the late reply, had to go to work, but.......................

What about a ban on bestiality boggles your mind?

It wasn't the ban, It was the fact that it needed to be banned!! I just didn't understand how it would have been OK to do it before as long as the animal wasn't hurt. Surely it would never have been OK??

And by the way, I am not Anglo-Saxon.............

7x7
15th Mar 2008, 08:23
The comments about sheep shaggers reminds me the old 'standard' of the young, new Baptist minister who's posted in to take over the very rural parish in Tennessee.

He walks around his parish for a few days introducing himself to everyone and generally checking out the scene.

Everyone turns up the next Sunday to check out the new fellow's brand of fire and brimstone.

He starts his sermon telling everyone that he's utterly shocked at what he's seen since arriving. "Brethern," he says, "ah'm shocked. Ah've seen a'fornication on a scale ah've never seen before.. Ah've seen men a'fornicatin' with other men's wives.. Ah've seen men a'fornicatin' with their own sisters an' daughters..."

He pauses for effect, but there's not a flicker of reaction from the crowded church. "Ah've seen men a'fornicatin' with sheep, with pigs, mules, even cows..."

Still no reaction from the congregation.

"Why," he says. "ah've even seen men a'fornicatin' with chickens."

Comes a voice from the congregation in tones of incredulity. "Chickens??!!"

hoss58
15th Mar 2008, 08:47
I think our friends from the land of the long white cloud may feel aggrieved about being left out of the sheep shaggers issue. I think they may have something to contribute on this matter. (Note tongue firmly wedged in cheek)

Hoss 58:cool::ok:

tinpis
15th Mar 2008, 10:38
Try that line out on a 300 kilo Maori or Islander Hoss

hoss58
15th Mar 2008, 11:34
Tinny my friend
I acknowledge i am crazy, however i am not completely stupid - i think. You may need to check with Mrs Hoss on that, you would likely get a different opinion

Hoss

P.S i have some good friends who are islanders :hmm:

Capt.KAOS
15th Mar 2008, 23:42
More mind boggling news from ORACle's "Dog Bites Man" section (pun intended) :hmm:

Binoculars
16th Mar 2008, 17:20
we stepped past being enlightened into decadence a while back, give it a few years and interspecies marriage will be legal, if not positively encouraged, rather like homosexuality.

Sorry, Mr D, but I just have to ask. From memory what was the decision that finally took us past enlightenment and into decadence?

Not having to stand up for the national anthem at the theatre? Women being given the vote? Wife-beating being declared as perhaps not ideal even if understandable?

Perhaps a year, or even a century will give us a clue?

ORAC
16th Mar 2008, 18:10
More mind boggling news from ORACle's "Dog Bites Man" section (pun intended)

I speak from the position of a gay male who doesn't believe that anonymous gay rutting in public parks is either morally or publicly acceptable.

In the days when homosexuality was frowned upon or illegal, I can understand why it was done.

In the present day of legality and partnership the only reason is hypocrisy and fear of "outing". Neither of which I consider an acceptable reason for public sex.

From what personal basis do you speak?

Capt.KAOS
16th Mar 2008, 19:29
My personal basis is totally irrelevant. This "plan" hasn't exceeded the stage of an air balloon and most likely will be emptied without anyone ever remembering it. But for most newspapers it's a "sexy" story. Much ado about nothing.

BTW; Did you know that one of the Dutch ministers will participate in the next Amsterdam Gay Canal Parade with his own boat.

BOFH
16th Mar 2008, 20:56
Try that line out on a 300 kilo Maori or Islander Hoss

let alone their husbands!

BOFH

merlinxx
16th Mar 2008, 22:40
Capot - at least us Valley boys know how to grab yer Euro bints without buying dinner!

Frostbite - Essex Girls. At least they don't wear white shoes to hide the dandruff or drop their chips when they orgasm!