PDA

View Full Version : DF shop Dublin - no alc or tobacco allowed for EU travel

bizzy liz
13th Mar 2008, 21:52
Anyone had this problem? As an inter EU passenger recently I was not permitted to purchase alcohol or tobacco leaving DUB even though I was prepared to pay the duty paid price.

But, when returning from Spain for example, I can purchase what I like provided it is the duty paid price.

Free movement of goods and services within the EU...my eye!

I was in a rush to board so I didn't haggle at the time.

Maybe it's changed since January 08, last trip ex Dublin.

Anyone had the same experience, or have I been duped by someone in the shop!! Terrible that I can't buy my Majors!!

SXB
14th Mar 2008, 07:00
Liz
Certain goods which are sold free of duty or tax, in the EU, have to be sold in specific packaging which indicate it's status. For example, if you buy duty free cigarrettes the outer and inner packaging clearly display the fact that duty has not been paid, even the individual packets carry this fact. Same for alcohol. The retailers cannot sell you these goods even if you are willing to pay the duty.

The reason for this is to allow Customs, and other authorities, to be able to quickly identify what is duty free and what isn't.

Citing your example of Spain, many travellers in Spanish airports are probably unaware they are in a terminal which is only serving EU or Schengen destinations and the cigarettes and alcohol sold in those terminals are all duty paid (except those halls where schengen and international are mixed) Duty and tax is low on such items in Spain giving the false impression they may be duty free. Some airports carry both duty paid and duty free goods but the items mentioned above must be clearly marked, this is same everywhere in the EU.

bizzy liz
14th Mar 2008, 10:33
SXB,
many thanks for your info!

What you have said about certain airport terminals only serving Schengen and EU flights makes sense. If I understand you correctly, airport df shops that serve only the above can sell all their products to their passengers, because they are duty paid and bear the relevant excise stamp showing they are duty paid goods.

My gripe is that in Dublin, in the past there were two categories of products in the shops -Duty Free (non EU travel) and duty paid (EU travel).

My problem was that I could not buy duty PAID goods on my recent trip to Spain!

Perhaps as you say they are not available any more as Dublin terminal DF shops cater for travel worldwide. It seems a bit discrimatory to me.

Mmmmmmmm must check it out again! Dublin DF would make a fortune selling duty paid goods to EU travellers!

Tks again,

apaddyinuk
14th Mar 2008, 14:00
I think you just picked up the wrong packet of Cigs whilst in your rush to get to the gate Liz!!!

SXB
14th Mar 2008, 19:55
My gripe is that in Dublin, in the past there were two categories of products in the shops -Duty Free (non EU travel) and duty paid (EU travel).

Yes, some duty free shops have both and some don't. The reason that some don't is because the profit margins on duty paid cigarettes and alcohol is very, very small. However the profit margin on the same duty free items is absolutely enormous.

I'll give you an example. I have the opportunity to buy duty free cigarettes and alcohol twice per year (don't ask why, it's an out dated french law which allows foreign staff with CD, CMD or K status in certain organisations to purchase tax free goods) I don't smoke but a big box of ten packs (200 cigarettes) costs me €7.00, a bottle of gin is €4, single malt whiskey is €12. Compare these prices to what is being charged in duty free shops located in airports and you can begin to understand what massive profits they are making, alos you can appreciate why some of them don't bother with duty paid.

Prices applied to duty free goods sometimes follow no logic. For example, I've bought duty cigarettes in Kiev for friends and they are €15 at KBP. I was in Kiev with a smoking colleague recently and he told me it's cheaper to buy them in a normal cigarette shop in the city, he was right, less than €10 in any shop. In Serbia they don't seem to have duty free cigarettes at all, if you buy them at the airport they are exactly the same price as in the shops in Belgrade - 1100RSD.

Generally speaking duty free in an airport equals huge profits for the retailers, customers are just happy because they are paying less than they usually are, especially in the UK and Ireland. Duty free cigarette and alcohol sales in airports is an ideal subject for the EU monopolies people to look at but, strangely, they've largely left it alone....

bizzy liz
29th Mar 2008, 22:35
SXB, Update!!

Yes you are right. I've been to Malaga ex Dub last week and asked why I couldn't buy my Majors duty paid (indigenous Irish cigs). I was told that the profit margin was too small for the suppliers to make it worth while on duty paid cigs.

But I was allowed to buy the top of the range cognac duty paid, at a price wayyyyy beyond my means - so I declined. Half price in Spain he he. Seems that certain spirits follow the same rule - if it makes a profit that's OK if not enough profit forget it !! EU free market where are ya,

Thks for your time.