PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe Access

Danny
13th Mar 2008, 21:43
Last night PPRuNe was moved over to new server with increased capacity to handle the growing number of visitors. The migration went well and the server loads have been very low all day.

Recently, the server loads have been very high and when reaching a preset figure, only registered members could access the forums. Once the server loads increased further, even registered members were locked out until the loads reduced.

Has anyone who has recently experienced problems gaining access to PPRuNe found that access now is not a problem?

Many thanks go to DSC (dsc.net) who have been hosting PPRuNe for the last few years for their technical expertise and assistance in keeping the hackers out and the servers up and running on a relatively tight, shoestring budget.

Also, many thanks to the IT team at Internet Brands for their work in getting the migration of the servers sorted out without any hickups.

Thank you to everyone who has persevered with us over the last few months as the increased popularity of PPRuNe put a sever strain on the old servers and hindered access for many of you. I'm sure you will agree that with new, improved resources we able to provide the necessary upgrades as and when required with the ever increasing numbers of visitors.

Thank you to all concerned.

green granite
13th Mar 2008, 22:22
Much better than the last few days Danny I've not had a single "server busy" notice today whereas over the last few days it's been very bad, 6 or 7 attempts to get into any thread on any forum.

Give yourself a pat on the back. :ok:

roljoe
13th Mar 2008, 22:30
Hi..

much better now...even if quite a newbi...but recurrent probs to log on last days...now seems ok..thanks to the team..

Beatriz Fontana
13th Mar 2008, 22:39
Danny,

Tons better, thank you. Glad the migration worked without too much stress :D

Bearing 123
13th Mar 2008, 22:40
Nice one Danny, well done.

Keep up the good work:ok:

wingman863
13th Mar 2008, 22:43
I've got quite a few of those notices recently but was suprised today when I logged on at one of the usual times and didn't get one. A success!

Cheers.

kwachon
13th Mar 2008, 22:44
A great job that is appreciated by all..:ok::ok::ok:

HarryMann
13th Mar 2008, 22:55
Witnessed the downtime last night for changeover, superb now.. 10/10 so far!

Good call upgrading the service earlier ratherthan later...

srobarts
13th Mar 2008, 23:02
Good one Danny, much improved response since the change and not a single server busy.
Thanks

Super VC-10
13th Mar 2008, 23:12
I've had a few server busy messages today but I'm not complaining. For the price, Pprune is excellent value for money! :ok:

jetfour
13th Mar 2008, 23:25
Remember the factory in/near Glagow? Their product was rightfully famous - worldwide. Well, Danny, Pprune is ticking over like their machine!
Smoooooth. :)

Grasscarp
13th Mar 2008, 23:26
My daughter works in the pensions business/actuarial field and recently had to work in the area of an airlines pension scheme. She was told about the pprune website in connection with terms and conditions of work. Later she told me that she was amazed to find how friendly and helpful pilots were to each other and how impressed she was to see that they were prepared to discuss every aspect of employment. In most professions this if very unusual. I just wanted to pass on this and tell you what a good job this website is doing.

Russell Gulch
13th Mar 2008, 23:45
I hope it works out well. It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to get a reliable connexion (despite always being "logged in").

Let's see how it gets on. Thanks for your message, Danny, and thanks also to Drauk.

Russ.

p.s. If it ends up working alright, might I suggest a cross-forum "Announcement" to that effect? Or do "Grannies" and "eggs" wend my merry way?:uhoh:

Rob Courtney
13th Mar 2008, 23:53
yes thanks Danny Ive had a few server busy messages but all seems sorted now. It cant be easy managing a site like this but I`m sure we all appreciate the hard work you and the mods put in here.

Thanks again.

rob:ok:

SpeedbirdXK8
14th Mar 2008, 00:02
a little less second guessing might ease the server the problem!

Huck
14th Mar 2008, 00:16
Best

site

ever.....

PA38-Pilot
14th Mar 2008, 00:59
It's working great, thanks!

lomapaseo
14th Mar 2008, 01:42
I'll let you know after the next major prang at LHR

Civis
14th Mar 2008, 04:24
Danny :ok: :ok:

veloo maniam
14th Mar 2008, 04:44
Hi Danny..best ever aviation site.
Anything aviation PPRUNE is THE site to guide.:ok::D

frostbite
14th Mar 2008, 12:43
No problems yesterday or today.

Thanks.

lee van chief
14th Mar 2008, 18:09
I agree with Danny
You are the best!

modtinbasher
14th Mar 2008, 19:32
Danny, well worth your effort and finance. Thanks very much. Ok, I'm a low user, but, incredibly improved.

MTB

amberleaf
14th Mar 2008, 21:46
Not one "server busy" message since upgrade; huge improvement - well done to all! :ok:
AL

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 21:52
Sorry to dampen things, but have just been hit with a "database error" when trying to access the thread in "rumours and news" regarding the latest LH hard landing.

A little glitch, I know, but it best to make sure any issues are known, imo.

(Should this thread be a sticky in case any other little glitches appear? Would make it easier for techies, etc, to know about these things so they could be fixed. Just a thought)

tubby linton
14th Mar 2008, 21:55
I just got this message:
http://www.pprune.org/image.php?type=dberror Database error The database has encountered a problem. Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh (http://www.pprune.org/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=46#) button in your web browser.
Open the www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org/forums/../) home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:history.back%281%29) button to try another link. The www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them ([email protected]) if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
edit I just tried to post something and got the message again.

Russell Gulch
14th Mar 2008, 22:28
Well after my :ok: message last night, I tried it again today during the day (many times) and got the old "server busy" message all day. :*

Only after 22:00GMT did it allow me to post this message.:hmm:

However: keep up the good work.

Russ

Saab Dastard
14th Mar 2008, 22:56
Should this thread be a sticky in case any other little glitches appear? Would make it easier for techies, etc, to know about these things so they could be fixed. Just a thought

Hellsbrink - thanks, the admins are monitoring this thread. No point in making it a sticky - any new posts will bring it near the top of the page anyway, and if there are no posts there are presumably no problems... :)

SD

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 23:35
No worries, was just a thought.

(Oooh, Nat Geo are repeating that "what would happen if" show involving a conveyor belt)

S'land
15th Mar 2008, 00:01
No problems since the changeover. :ok:

(Wish I could say the same about my company server. :{)

The Voice
15th Mar 2008, 00:15
a couple of hours ago I got the database error message more than once, also copped the server busy message as well - let it be for about an hour, and bingo .. all was where it should have been.

The only problem I've noticed now, is that my posting time is showing as 17xx hours (yesterday) which is neither the correct local nor UTC time - and the postings all seem to be out of time order ..

hellsbrink
15th Mar 2008, 01:01
The only problem I've noticed now, is that my posting time is showing as 17xx hours (yesterday) which is neither the correct local nor UTC time - and the postings all seem to be out of time order ..

Teething troubles, imo. expected when you shift servers.

Bet ya it confuses the colonials though. :E

(Crud, never noticed the time thing, shows how much attention I pay to thiings)

Saab Dastard
15th Mar 2008, 10:53
Keep the glitch reports coming, folks - give the admins something to do! Seriously, it is all useful info, thanks.

:ok:

SD

sirwa69
15th Mar 2008, 12:34
Danny

I don't know if this has been a regional issue or not but for the last 3 days I have been unable to access the site. Only just got on now.
I have been receiving the following message.

Site Unavailable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're sorry, but this site is down for maintenance.
We regret the inconvenience and are working to restore service as soon as possible.

Was always redirected to the url http://www.pprune.org/maintenance.html.

Was this something to do with my settings?

On On

Sirwa

PPRuNe Towers
15th Mar 2008, 14:28
Don't fiddle with anything Sirwa other than forced cache flushing,

Some ISP's are very slow updating PPRuNe's new 'address' within t'interweb.

I'm still locked out where I am but I've sneaked in via an anonymous proxy service. They'll sort themselves out at their own pace.

Rob

dazdaz
15th Mar 2008, 17:45
Don't want to sound like a 'kill joy' but my Commodore 64 (new off e-bay) is still taking two days to upload a page. Is it me or your new server?:confused:

Daz

seekayess
15th Mar 2008, 18:28
Nyet probs getting on or switching threads or anything! :ok::ok:

'Tis quite fast!

:)

stagger
16th Mar 2008, 11:44
I'm getting redirected to....

http://www.pprune.org/maintenance.html

...about half the time. Most recently this morning.

Danny
16th Mar 2008, 13:05
If you are still getting redirects to the maintenance page it is because your Internet Service provider hasn't or doesn't update their DNS server often enough. You need to get a decent ISP or write to them and tell them the problem.

If you don't get a satisfactory response then the get an new ISP or else just wait until they get their act together and have their DNS databases updated.

If you enter 67.201.16.181 into the url of your browser, it should take you to the PPRuNe home page. If it doesn't then your ISP is definitely second rate and should update their DNS more often.

If you know how to edit the "hosts" file on your 'puter then you can always add this to force it:
67.201.16.181 www.pprune.org
67.201.16.181 pprune.org
67.201.16.181 www.pprune.com
67.201.16.181 pprune.com
67.201.16.181 www.pprune.info
67.201.16.181 pprune.info
67.201.16.181 www.pprune.biz
67.201.16.181 pprune.biz

If you don't know how to edit the hosts file or have any idea what it is, then please don't ask.

stagger
16th Mar 2008, 13:21
If you are still getting redirects to the maintenance page it is because your Internet Service provider hasn't or doesn't update their DNS server often enough. You need to get a decent ISP or write to them and tell them the problem.

I am only getting redirected to the maintenance page intermittently - and for periods of several hours.

This would seem to suggest, not that my ISP is not updating their DNS often enough, but that they are updating it quite often - alternating between correct and incorrect DNS entries for PPRuNe.

It could be that the incorrect entries are propagating from somewhere higher up the DNS hierarchy - or that my ISP keeps reverting to an out-of-date version they have.

Bit of a mystery.:confused:

Edited to add the following...

10 minutes ago I got the redirect page using either my ISP's DNS or using OpenDNS. At that time the OpenDNS cache was correctly pointing to 67.201.16.181.

Now it works fine and I'm not getting the redirect whether I use by ISP's DSN or OpenDNS.

Strange:confused:

HILF
16th Mar 2008, 16:17
Danny - Much better access post new server, VMT for all you and your team's hard work.

HILF

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Russell Gulch
16th Mar 2008, 21:04
...a whole load of computer stuff, including DNS and a whole load of numbers separated by dots

Well I'm not quite up to speed here, evidently...I just click on PPRuNe and it used to load. I never had to do any "DNS" stuff. It's a lot slower now, so I'm off to College to learn about DNS, algebra and dots.:hmm:

I'm sure everyone is doing their best; please keep up the good work. It's dreadfully slow at other than late evening GMT.

Russ

spekesoftly
17th Mar 2008, 14:38
Thanks to Rob's and Danny's earlier posts, I'm now able to work round the problem.

For the past few days I've also been getting the "Site Unavailable" message on my home PC.
After successfully accessing PPRuNe from another computer/different ISP, and reading this thread, it was evident that the problem is with my ISP. Temporary solution found using a proxy.

Thank you again.

Easy Ryder
17th Mar 2008, 17:04
im having the same problems. occasionally i get access but all day today i've been redirected to the maintenance page. at the moment i am getting access through my mobile phone and wireless net. my qu is if the isp is the prob why can i access through my phone and not pc?

johnmc
17th Mar 2008, 20:23
We hope this investment in the site will make PPRuNe easier to use!

-- John

rotorcraig
17th Mar 2008, 22:19
I was browsing from home earlier, no problems. In the last half hour I've hit the "maintenance" page again. Entered the IP that Danny gave earlier, still got "maintenance". Now using a proxy (found via Google) and PPRuNe came straight back. My ISP is PIPEX. Didn't think they were a backstreet outfit; my former employers (a major UK Bank) use them as their corporate ISP! RC

RingwaySam
18th Mar 2008, 05:43
I've only been able to get on twice since last week - I've been getting the maintenance page. My ISP is Tiscali. Hopefully my end will stay working.

spekesoftly
18th Mar 2008, 18:17
Seems my ISP has finally updated its DNS server. I can now access PPRuNe without having to resort to a proxy. As predicted earlier by Rob and Danny, some ISPs take longer than others.

PPRuNe access and speed is excellent. :ok:

NRU74
19th Mar 2008, 21:25
Ringway
Like Speke's ISP [above] - it seems Tiscali has at long last sorted access to Pprune

RingwaySam
20th Mar 2008, 12:45
I hope so. Tiscali seems to always take a long time updating/fixing there DNS :ugh: I've still had a few problems today, although I can access it more regularly now than I could a few days ago.

green granite
20th Mar 2008, 18:18
I've had the "server error" message 4 times in the last 15mins. :suspect:

Saab Dastard
20th Mar 2008, 18:44
Seems to have been a separate glitch this evening - server showing "database error".

Back now, after a half hour or so.

SD

Out Of Trim
20th Mar 2008, 19:40
I had the same Database error showing up tonight too!
:ooh:

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 21:11
I'm still getting Database Error if I try to enter the forums in the normal way (it's my Home page).

Only way round it is to open History and click on something from earlier in the day.

Saab Dastard
20th Mar 2008, 21:50
frostbite,

That sounds like it's your browser...

SD

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 22:42
You could be right there, SD! Just opened Firefox (currently on Opera) and it opened the page without dramas.

I'll stick with the current 'back door entry' and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the pointer.

Saab Dastard
20th Mar 2008, 23:07
I'll stick with the current 'back door entry'

What sort of sites are you visiting anyway...? :p;):eek:

SD

Pontius Navigator
21st Mar 2008, 07:50
Not had any server errors but often very slow to load a page, such as this, from the listings page. Seems slower at work but I think that might be our end

P.Pilcher
21st Mar 2008, 10:17
Well, my ISP appears up to speed as PPRuNe has worked faultlessly for me since Danny completed the upgrade.

P.P.

Tosh McCaber
21st Mar 2008, 10:50
Help! For the past two weeks, apparently since Pprune went down for temporary maintenance, any time I try to log on to Pprune, I still get the screen with the message “ Site Unavailable. We're sorry, but this site is down for maintenance. We regret the inconvenience and are working to restore service as soon as possible.” However, I have asked several colleagues to try logging on, and they have been able to log in with no difficulty.

Bushfiva
21st Mar 2008, 10:55
And yet, here you are, posting....

Anyway, if you know how to open a command or cmd window, do so then enter "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and see if that automagically fixes anything. The command name may vary slightly depending on your operating system.

Clarence Oveur
22nd Mar 2008, 14:12
I keep getting this message when I try to access any forum.
Has it become mandatory to login to access forums and read posts?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Clarence_Oveur/PPRuNeMessage.jpg

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2008, 18:29
Clarence, your admin settings have been checked and are OK.

It isn't mandatory to login to read open forums - however, others (including mods) occasionally get this as well if not logged in. Seems to be when the server is busy.

Standard advice also applies about clearing your browser cache and cookies.

SD

Clarence Oveur
22nd Mar 2008, 20:11
I thought all cookies were cleared as you logged out?
Nevertheless, I cleared the cache and cookies and it seemed to do the trick.

Until I logged in and out again that is. Immediately upon trying to access any forum the same message popped up again.

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2008, 20:38
Thanks - escalated again!

SD

timmcat
22nd Mar 2008, 21:30
eeeerm...

Don't some BB's have an admin function, or hack, where 'troublesome' users can have similar 'irritations' added to their profile to dissuade them from using the board?

Some might suggest that it's more discreet than a ban.

Saab Dastard
22nd Mar 2008, 21:38
timmcat,

Yes, that is correct - however, in this instance I can assure you that it is not the case.

If one is not logged in, how can "preferential treatment" be given?

I attempted to view all the forums as a guest - and failed completely. So it appears to be a general problem.

SD

Clarence Oveur
22nd Mar 2008, 21:50
It would seem that despite the 'All cookies cleared!' message when logging out, that is not the case.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Clarence_Oveur/PPRuNemessage2.jpg

After clearing cookies manually it is possible to access forums and view posts. Until you have been logged in.

Timmcat, I was thinking something not too dissimilar. It appears that even if you are not logged in, your presence is known by cookies left behind. I have learned enough lately to know that Saab Dastard, helpful as he is, might not be in a position to know everything that goes on.

timmcat
22nd Mar 2008, 23:06
Well... I suppose cookies could be used, or maybe an IP address.

I'm not for one moment suggesting anything improper is going on here, just that it might be theoretically possible.

Paul Wilson
23rd Mar 2008, 23:56
I get similar messages when using my mobile to PPrune, have to log back in every 5-10 mins or so, I'm using opera mini, on an htc handheld computer/phone thingy. It might have something to do with all the data going via a server in Oslo, to translate the page for a small screen. I'm guessing at Oslo, but that is where the ads on google seem to think I am. Mind you, on the home PC, geolocation (www.ip2location.com) seems to think I'm on the Isle of Man:uhoh:

AppleMacster
24th Mar 2008, 18:19
It appears that Safari under Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) doesn't respond well to updated DNS (at least on my Macs). The penny only dropped while using Explorer in Parallels; Pprune worked fine, which meant that problem wasn't with my broadband supplier. Under Safari, all I got was the "Maintenance" page.

If anyone is having similar troubles under Leopard, go to Terminal and flush the DNS using the following command:

dscacheutil -flushcache

AppleMacster

Tosh McCaber
24th Mar 2008, 18:42
At last- I don't have to use my friend's computer to get through. Took your advice and emailed my ISP (Pipex). Am now in contact, 24 hours later.

Now- to catch up will probably take several days!

frostbite
27th Mar 2008, 22:36
Anyone else found the server incredibly slow the last couple of days?

I was quite prepared to blame my ISP, but all other sites as normal and much faster.

timmcat
27th Mar 2008, 22:46
Yep, reminds me of dialup. All other sites I'm using are fine.

Saab Dastard
27th Mar 2008, 22:50
All,

This phenomenon has been experienced and noted by the admins. Doesn't affect everyone - lucky me - but has been experienced in different parts of the world.

It is being looked into.

SD

Farrell
30th Mar 2008, 13:00
I have been having a very difficult time accessing Pprune here in the sandpit and I know of a few others here with the same trouble.

Its been over three weeks now since I have been able to read a thread without waiting for ages for it to load.

Anyone know what is happening?

Farrell

ThreadBaron
30th Mar 2008, 13:12
Have they not knitted those severed cables off Egypt(?) back together yet?

newt
30th Mar 2008, 13:47
Same here in Scotland! The system is overloaded with people mainly in Rumers and News where they are all looking at T5 and BA strike threads. If you see more than a couple of hundred online then it is not worth trying to read the threads as it takes for ages! Bets wishes to all in Oman!

Maybe its time for a new site catering just for military threads?

Mods care to comment?

mutt
30th Mar 2008, 16:42
Farrell, sitting a little to the west of you, PPrune is working perfectly since the migration to the new server. Is there a possibility of having your ISP clear their cache?

Mutt

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2008, 16:50
Update - this does not appear to be a server issue. Rather an internet / ISP issue.

SD

Farrell
31st Mar 2008, 05:41
Hi Mutt

Getting my ISP to empty their cache.....

This is Oman.....I can't even get them to answer the phone lol :)

Vive la mort, vive la guerre...

Breecher
10th Apr 2008, 13:41
Is the requirement to login to read posts going to be a permanent feature?

Duckbutt
10th Apr 2008, 14:11
Is the requirement to login to read posts going to be a permanent feature?

Oh I do hope not! Seems to have started today, is rather inconvenient and seems not to serve any obvious purpose. Also now it would appear that I have to let pprune put a cookie on my machine which I have never had to do before.

Would an administrater please explain the reasoning behind these changes.

As a matter of principle I do not like or want either of these changes as I do not want my internet usage monitored by anyone.

El Grifo
11th Apr 2008, 15:05
Had a cookie placed ever since I registered way back in 2000

Cookie = No logon required.

Mmmmm we love cookies :ok:

Nice one Daniel, all good now :O

DouglasDigby
11th Apr 2008, 15:57
As a matter of principle I do not like or want either of these changes as I do not want my internet usage monitored by anyone.
Will this change mean that your ISP will be linked to your screen name?

Duckbutt
12th Apr 2008, 14:36
Any chance of an answer from Admin or are we still working to the mushroom principle?

Duckbutt
17th Apr 2008, 08:34
^^BUMP!^^

See this has dropped to page 2 where there is a risk that someone from Admin might miss my very simple, and I suggest not unreasonable question.

I may not get an answer at all then!

Bushfiva
17th Apr 2008, 09:21
now it would appear that I have to let pprune put a cookie on my machine which I have never had to do before.

Presumably you've never ticked the "remember me" box before.

Duckbutt
17th Apr 2008, 11:27
Presumably you've never ticked the "remember me" box before.

Correct, I don't particularly wish to be permenantly logged in. Why should I have to be merely to read the posts when I have no particular intention to post?

Bushfiva
17th Apr 2008, 11:36
Why should I

I dunno. Maybe because it's someone else's ball.

west lakes
17th Apr 2008, 11:38
Some relevent comments/answers/info here.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321618

Duckbutt
17th Apr 2008, 19:07
Thank you for that WL, would never have thought to look there. At least you took the trouble to respond, a simple, short PM and /or announcement and explanation for the rule change below Admin's dignity perhaps?

"Keeps out the riff-raff" indeed, touch of the Basil Fawlty syndrome I suggest. Still, if I don't like it, as the man says in his usual modest manner, "You've got a mouse - if it really annoys you make us suffer and go elswhere".

I do hope this is not a suicide note but with recent history in mind I cannot be too confident, bearing in mind Lord Acton's maxim.

Rwy in Sight
18th Apr 2008, 17:35
Am I only one that I get an intermediate screen to insert some computer generated characters after I inserted my password?

Rwy in Sight

srobarts
18th Apr 2008, 17:45
Am I only one that I get an intermediate screen to insert some computer generated characters after I inserted my password?

I've just got one of these for the first time today on my laptop where I clear all internet history and cookies every time as it is shared by several people.

stevef
18th Apr 2008, 18:01
I've had three since yesterday in addition to having to sign in. :confused:

frontlefthamster
18th Apr 2008, 19:32
The log in process is now extremely annoying - rather like the sycophantic responses on page one of this thread...

El Grifo
18th Apr 2008, 20:11
Know what you mean.

A real drag.

A bit like turning on the tap and water coming out, or flicking a switch and the light coming on.

Never know where I find the time :ugh:

frontlefthamster
18th Apr 2008, 20:15
Well perhaps you're on a super-high-speed connection. For me, it's like turning on the tap, and then having to go and adjust the stop-cock in the garage outside, before the water comes out.

At least the first page didn't have too much in the way of boring sarcasm...

El Grifo
18th Apr 2008, 20:38
"sycophantic responses"

"boring sarcasm"

Lighten up man. It's the weekend :ok:

Cheers

El G.

The Flying Pram
18th Apr 2008, 20:52

No I'm getting it as well. Like previous posters I have Firefox clear the cache and cookies every time it closes. But what's really annoying is having these characters so badly distorted that you can't be sure what to type in. This happened as I tried to login this evening, and having been kicked out it doesn't even give you the option of having another go.

El Grifo
21st Apr 2008, 10:28
Despite conforming to the requests in a couple of versions of this message, I still appear to get it every day at first logon. Becoming rather tedious.

One step forward two steps back !!!

Hello El Grifo!

This is a special announcement from PPRuNe Forums Admin. Further to our previous message about keeping your email address up to date and your password secure, we have found the cause of the repeated hack attempts into members accounts is a script (HackBot) that has been written with malicious and nuisance intent. As members profiles do not contain any information that should be of any value to hackers and studying the way the hack attempts have been carried out, it has been determined that the HackBot is intended as a Denial of Service (DoS) attack.

As the computer running the HackBot is using an AOL IP address, after it has randomly tried to access an account, the account is locked out and the IP address blocked for 15 minutes. If another AOL user with the same IP address tries to log-in within the 15 minutes of lock-out, they will get the locked out message too.

In order to stifle the HackBot, we have had to block the IP address being used which has caused more inconvenience to some AOL users. For this we apologise but it is the only way we can prevent the HackBot from running. We have also introduced a 'Captcha' image code section to the log-in which is designed to make sure that it is a human rather than a Bot trying to access PPRuNe. The Captcha image code is turned on and off randomly and you may or may not encounter it.

Overall, the recent attack has not breached our security and is intended only to be a nuisance to the Admin of the site and to our members. It has only partially succeeded and the appropriate authorities have been notified.

Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused by the extra security we have had to implement. Please click here to contact us for if you need any assistance.

WE Branch Fanatic
22nd Apr 2008, 19:19
Is this a permanant change, or just temporary until things calm down?

Over the last week or so, certain threads have recieved hardly any extra views, this probably explains why. One of the things about PPRuNe is (was?) being able to write things in a place where it might be noticed by interested parties. I'm thinking mainly of the Military Aircrew forum - where things may be said that people sort of want to be seen.

I can understand why limiting visitors to so many pages was introduced, and why measures to keep Hackbots etc (what are they, anyway?) are needed. Maybe I've answered my own question...