PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Oz Instructor rating to FAA CFI

Ozgrade3
11th Dec 2000, 06:43
I've been looking at the idea of converting my Oz Flight Instructor Rating to the FAA CFI, CFII & CFI-ME.

Would I have to do the full CFI intial course, classroom + flying, or could I be assessed, do any differences and then do the checkride. Hoping to do all my conversions early next year and only have a 4 week window.

Any info would be much appreciated.

weasil
12th Dec 2000, 10:41
OG3
If you do your training under Part 61 then you don't have to do any ground schools. You just have to prove to your instructor that you are ready to take the flight test by flying in the right seat of a complex aircraft and demonstrating how to teach Private and Commercial maneuvers including steep turns, chandelles, lazy 8's, eights on pylons, s turns across a road, rectangular course etc... most people say that this takes about 15 hours of flying in a 172 RG. You also have to demonstrate a bunch of emergencies and landings eg.. short field soft field. I am in the middle of working on this now. The checkride then consists of several hours spent with an FAA examiner asking you to teach him things such as Forces of Flight, How to perform Manuevers, Aeromedical and what the FAA calls the FOI (fundamentals of instruction) which constitutes about a third of the oral exam usually. This covers things like the laws of learning and the theories of forgetting. Structure of lessons etc... Is this similar to what you have already done?

Lastly.. go to <A HREF="http://www.webexams.com" TARGET="_blank">www.webexams.com</A> and practice taking the Flight Instructor AIrplane exam on the web for free.

Good luck...

Weasil.