PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand Lax Enging Fire

girtbar
13th Mar 2008, 18:40
Just got a call from a crew member on board the Lax-Lhr today claiming they had an engine fire. Is there any more information about this?

suppie
13th Mar 2008, 18:48
Hmmm why didnt U ask that crew member then?????

girtbar
13th Mar 2008, 19:52
Because I'm interested to find more details about the incident and if it actually took place.

chrisr150
13th Mar 2008, 21:52
To repeat what the previous poster said, why didnt you ask the person who claimed to be directly involved? :ugh:

Check Airman
13th Mar 2008, 22:27
I think I can help you, but let's get this straight...for the record.

A crewmember on board the aircraft in question (presumably at the time in question) informed you that there had been an incident. You opt to to ask people online about this supposed incident, instead of the person who experienced it.

Am I understanding you correctly?

girtbar
13th Mar 2008, 23:00
Stop banging your heads for goodness sake. Yes i have asked here to see what information is available. Obviously very little. If i could get hold of the crew member again i would have all the answers but i dont.

Now if you'd stop banging your heads, and let someone reply that might know something about the incident please.

:ugh: :ouch:

Rongotai
13th Mar 2008, 23:42
NZ5 LAX-AKL is showing an ETA of 15 hours late according to both the AKL arrivals board and the NZ web site.

Panman
14th Mar 2008, 00:01
What we are trying to fathom here girtbar, is that you were on the phone to a crewmember and you didn't bother asking about the incident? Preferring to come on Pprune and ask instead, when you could have had it straight from the horse's mouth?

So your conversation was something along the lines of:

[Sound of phone ringing]

Girtbar: Hello

Crewmember: Hey there girtbar. We just had an engine fire whilst operating the LAX-LHR Air NZ flight.

Girtbar: Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I'll go on PPRuNE and see if anyone knows anything more about it. Bye now. Have a good day!

[Sound of phone hanging up]

PanMan

11Fan
14th Mar 2008, 00:14
This is actually funny.

Thanks for the laugh fellas !!

Smilin_Ed
14th Mar 2008, 00:50
Could it be that company policy prohibits crew members from commenting on such incidents? :confused:

CR2
14th Mar 2008, 01:23
Ed, if that were the case, girtbar wouldn't have received the call in the first place. :confused:

Strange thread.

Panman
14th Mar 2008, 01:24
Could it be that company policy prohibits crew members from commenting on such incidents?

Okay..
Makes sense..
Except that..
Said Crewmember would not have contacted girtbar in the first place.

PanMan

hoggsnortrupert
14th Mar 2008, 01:50
a bonus:

I guess Girtbar has a sense of Humor!

Engine lost:

Actually over Texas!

The #2 engine burnt its self off the wing.

It fell 39000 ft and impacted on George W Bush’s property.

The engine demolished the “BUSH” turkey battery, and It is understood that there is a large amount of debris scattered about the site, with Feathers, Gore, and Turkey Shi- everywhere, George W was home at the time, and it is reported that he is up to his “neck” in turkey sh-t!.

The National guard immediately launched a pair of F 16 fighters.

The Captain of NZ 5, upon seeing the F 16s, shut down his one remaining engine, so as to not give a heat signature to the F 16’s missiles, thus enabling NZ #5 to dead stick into Huston Intercontinental.

It is however un-confirmed, that the F16’s fired 4 missiles at NZ 5.

All passengers and crew have been held under the US Home land security act, and all passengers and crew are presently undergoing interrogation, and at the time of print the intentions are to ship to Guantanamo:

The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Helen Clark has sent the New Zealand High Commissioner to the USA to meet with the USA’s homeland security representative:

In the meantime Helen Clark and the minister for Forgien Affairs,Winston Peters are presently enroute to the US capital to meet and assure the US people that it was indeed an accident:

Helen Clark has indicated that in initial talks, George W has agreed to relocate his home from under the Air Nz Flt path, in return NZ will supply the Bush family their turkey requirement for thanks giving, as well as NZ now agreeing to allow US nuclear armed military transports into NZ.

In return all passengers and crew will be repatriated to NZ shore’s just as soon as possible.

The United Nations General Secretary Mr Kofi Anun has announced that Helen Clark and Winston Peters are to be awarded the noble peace prize.

WHY OH WHY, WHY OH WHY DID YOU NOT ASK THE SOURCE!!!!!, WHY PUT IT OUT THERE ON PRUNE!

What news outlet do you work for?

H/Snort:=:=:=:=:=:oh::oh::oh::oh::oh: ( Off to the sin bin?)

girtbar
14th Mar 2008, 01:57
I got a text message from a cabin crew member who was on board said flight. I don't have the spare dough that all you lovely Flt Deck, or anyone else more solvent than lowly cabin crew have, to be calling and texting L.A to receive in depth accounts of what happened. Added to the fact i can't get hold of him. When he returns i will be sure to post it and let you all know, knowing your all on the edge of your seats.

Seeing as this is normally the place to pick up news as it happens i thought i would ask here, but lone behold the usual Pprune hospitality has reared its head.

Is there anyone else who would like to take cheap pot shots? Or can we just stick to the topic at hand.

:mad:

girtbar
14th Mar 2008, 02:03
hoggsnortrupert i am so glad that i finally have a true up to date description of the incident!

I am truly glad that Mr Bush and his clan have escaped unscathed and will go on to lead our world. There is a god!

Did the engine hit a school by any chance or just narrowly miss it? :E

Fenwicksgirl
14th Mar 2008, 02:35
Girtbar, quote
"Just got a call from a crew member on board the Lax-Lhr today "

So now it was only an sms, which one is it???
Are you actually George Bush???

bugg smasher
14th Mar 2008, 02:40
I never realized there was actually an 'Air New Zealand'. Are they new?

blueloo
14th Mar 2008, 03:02
Talk about thread drift.

Why don't those who feel like sticking it to girtbar, do so via private messages, rather than diverting the topic.

The Topic is about Air NZ and rumoured engine failure/fire. Last time I checked its a rumour network, so why not lets see and who can provide some details on the rumoured incident.

pattern_is_full
14th Mar 2008, 03:58
http://www.airnewzealand.com/gateway.jsp

In 1978, the domestic National Airways Corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airways_Corporation) (NAC) and its subsidiary Safe Air (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straits_Air_Freight_Express) were merged into TEAL to form Air New Zealand. (wikipedia) - I suppose 30 years is "new" in the overall history of aviation.

Flight on a Thursday, KLAX - EGLL would be ANZ2 (747) - Flightaware shows it running about 40 minutes late, now about over the CDN-US border (1200 NM down range, 4,250 to go)

I'm watching the wires and checked the LA Times web site - no mention of any commercial aviation incidents.

hoggsnortrupert
14th Mar 2008, 05:44
Oh! Bugger Dickie: I knew that!:D:D:D.

Chr's
H/Snort:ok:

spannersatKL
14th Mar 2008, 07:23
girtbarhit a school or just miss it.....surely with GW Bush's education they dont waste money on schools in Texas?;)

Old Fella
14th Mar 2008, 12:15
Just to get the history of Air New Zealand correct. The airline had its beginnings in April, 1940 when Tasman Empire Airways Limited was incorporated. In April 1965 TEAL was renamed Air New Zealand Limited, the same year they got the DC-8. They then got DC-10's in 1973 and it was this type which saw ANZ suffer their greatest air disaster when one of their DC-10 aircraft crashed onto Mt Erebus near McMurdo Antarctic base in the summer of 1979, with the loss of all on board. ANZ and NAC merged in 1978 to become both a domestic and international carrier. ANZ got the first of their B747's in 1981.

So, far from being a new airline, the Kiwi carrier has been around for 68 years.

SLFguy
14th Mar 2008, 12:54
Some folk need to get out more...

OP seemed to ask a simple question.

carbheatout
14th Mar 2008, 13:05
Unbelievable response from a valid question.

A300Man
14th Mar 2008, 13:29
I have to agree. Don't think I've seen anything quite so ridiculous on these boards for a while. The original posters question was a very valid one.

So, does anyone have any facts to share with us?

SouthpawSLF
14th Mar 2008, 16:05
Man...rough crowd here. Valid question in my book....

Dunno if this its the event in question, but I understand that ANZ 747-400 experienced an IFSD of #4 following surge, drop in N1 and high EGT with flames out the back. ATB. Event happened on 11 March during initial climb out of LAX.

girtbar
14th Mar 2008, 16:47
Thank you SouthpawSLF just as i was giving up hope that there might be sensible level headed people left on Pprune capable of answering a question. Its a shame our aviation community prefers to tear each other apart than behaving like brethren united by a common cause.

Im just of to sow myself up after being hacked apart from asking a simple question! :ouch:

At least i have plenty of thick skin to put up with the crap that currently flies around these boards a lot lately. I cant wait to ask another question......... :eek:

FAN BLADE
14th Mar 2008, 17:02
I agree, some people on these forums need to start acting their age and not their shoe size....!!!!

Avman
14th Mar 2008, 17:35
Girtbar will learn from this tragic experience :). He/she naively gave too much information in the initial post. Had it read something along the lines of "have heard through the grapevine that.....", I suspect there wouldn't have been the predictable reactions that he/she got. All quite amusing though.

energiser
14th Mar 2008, 21:21
This is ridiculous... I think that what girtbar was asking was totally reasonable. I would have never expected people like you (suppie, Chrisr150) to be acting like tools on such a professional forum filled with professional people.

Ummm, I think you'll find that 99% of the posters on this forum are not professional pilots...despite what they claim! :suspect:

girtbar
14th Mar 2008, 21:49
I hope your not suggesting that our large ranks of merry arm chair pilots aren't professionals?

I thought their professional criticism of professionals is a arm chair SOP and carried out with great arm chairmanship.

I'm counting down to this being moved to Jet Blast.....

ChristiaanJ
14th Mar 2008, 22:55
....a large amount of debris scattered about the site, with Feathers, Gore, and Turkey Shi- everywhere....I can't believe this.... they actually got Gore?
He had it coming to him, mind you. Even his "God" must have gotten fed up with the kudos he was getting for his lies.

ChristiaanJ
14th Mar 2008, 23:02
I agree, some people on these forums need to start acting their age and not their shoe size....!!!!Well, maybe I should send my size 69 up your **** ... humm, let's stay civil.

ChristiaanJ
14th Mar 2008, 23:07
girtbar,
If it happened on a LAX-LHR flight, and shortly after take-off, did they go back into LAX?
We seem to have this story before, where a BA flight just went on with only three turning and burning, and got a lot of flak here for doing so.

ExSp33db1rd
15th Mar 2008, 02:32
If it was a sms text message received from the crew member, doesn't that mean the dreaded mobile phone must have been used ? or do the armrest Inflight Onboard Telephones that are permitted also transmit text ? If a mobile, arent crew members also supposed to have them switched off ? The whole thing is ludicrous and should stop here. :bored:

NZScion
15th Mar 2008, 06:28
Who said that the crew member sent the SMS in flight? It could have been while the aircraft is safely parked on the apron, or on the bus to/from the hotel.

Shannon volmet
15th Mar 2008, 09:47
I thought all gas turbine powered aircraft had engine fires regularly. - every day, in fact all the time usually. In the combustor section, that's the bit between the HP compressor and the HP turbine. We'd all be fcuked if they didn't.:E

lomapaseo
15th Mar 2008, 14:25
I thought all gas turbine powered aircraft had engine fires regularly. - every day, in fact all the time usually. In the combustor section, that's the bit between the HP compressor and the HP turbine. ,,

Tis true, but surely if the source of the report came from an actual crew member they should know the difference. Why else would they report it as a real engine fire unless the fire bell had gone off:confused:

Yorkielondon
15th Mar 2008, 17:20
Unbelievable to see 3 pages of such rubbish in response to a simple question-something did happen this week: NZ2 on Tuesday had airbourne return to LAX according to a flight tracking site, flight then cancelled, then the return sector NZ1 LHR-LAX on Wed 12th March cancelled. So an engine fire (or warning) sounds plausible, I for one would like to know instead of wading through this rubbish-sympathy to original poster....so any factual/serious answers?: