PDA

View Full Version : Vista - a golden opportunity!

BOAC
13th Mar 2008, 15:30
No 1 son has responded to a 'survey' from MS on Vista and has (he assures me!) responded constructively - if destructively.

Anyway, MS want to speak to him AND ANYONE ELSE WHO WISHES TO ATTEND at a location (TBD) near Reigate in Surrey.

Here's your chance to lay all the gripes on the line.

Will they find a hall big enough, I ask......................?

This from MS TechNet Newsletter 12 March 2008

<I would love to hear about your experiences with Windows Vista - and in particular from any of you who would be willing to work with us on a case study or record a short video. It would be a great way to highlight the work you and your organisation are doing. Please email me if you'd like to be involved.>

[ [email protected] ]

These were just 3 of the issues he raised:

1) Copying files: need I say more
2) Burning a DVD - hung and crashed
3) Desktop properties & control panel didn't work - in the end after Googling I found that I had to email MS to be sent a patch to enable the Control panel and desktop properties to work.

Ms Response

<You raise some really interesting points and we would love to come and speak to you.

Can you let me know your availability for us to come and visit you for a few hours after Easter? There will likely be 3-4 of us, so happy for you to also include any of your colleagues/friends who have similar views.

It would really help me if you could let me know the number of employees in your organisation or number of PCs. Plus if there are any specific frustrations that you would like to discuss then please let me know.>

:D

hellsbrink
13th Mar 2008, 16:31
1) Copying files: need I say more
2) Burning a DVD - hung and crashed
3) Desktop properties & control panel didn't work - in the end after Googling I found that I had to email MS to be sent a patch to enable the Control panel and desktop properties to work.

Am I the only person who has not had any real issues with Vista? Never seen any of these 3 problems...

frostbite
13th Mar 2008, 17:42
Hellsbrink, I don't normally do the lottery, but if someone with your luck could pick the numbers for me......

hellsbrink
13th Mar 2008, 18:31
I wouldn't say that, frostbite, I never had any luck in that area

Parapunter
13th Mar 2008, 20:07
And me. Vista's painless for me oh & I copy a 3.5gb file across every day. In about two minutes flat.

Pontius Navigator
13th Mar 2008, 20:40
I had one of these invites. I think it was kosher but is was not directly MS. While I had been specially selected, London Hotel etc etc she cried off when I asked for expenses as I live in the Midlands.

I suspect they had been looking at my ISP location.

BOAC
13th Mar 2008, 21:13
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/

Various ideas to fix but Google brings up numerous whinges on copy speeds over networks.

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/04/24/fix-to-copy-large-files-in-vista-faster/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770

No idea if they work or not as I do NOT use Vista!!

timmcat
13th Mar 2008, 22:34
A bit of a pooter geek here, and, not a fan of Microshaft but... bought myself a £300 laptop just to play around on last November, and... try as I might (and I have tried) Vista just won't break.

And yes, I fully expected it to.....

BeechNut
14th Mar 2008, 01:15
The big problem with Vista is when you upgrade a computer that came with XP. You start to find that a lot of hardware and drivers don't work.

Vista is also a PITA for those of us like me, computer geeks that work in IT. I had to turn off many of the security features (UAC) because they simply prevent me from doing my job efficiently.

And the analyst who wrote the requirement that the default upgrade mechanism for Vista would be to upgrade the computer automatically in the background while you work, and then shut it down automatically needs to spend about an hour in an ultralight in a 50 kt. gale. When the weather is too crappy to fly (I'm a PPL and Beech owner), like it has been most of the winter, I like to fiddle around with MS Flight Sim. Imagine my horror when I had a perfectly set up instrument approach in a DC-8, to minimums, when the damned computer shuts down automatically.

Non-computer geeks, I heartily recommend you get a Mac and save yourselves a ton of grief. With today's Intel-based Macs and Boot Camp you can install Vista (or XP) on a separate partition and run Windows natively (or you can use VM Ware or Parallels or some other virtualization program).

I did that, and I find that other than to run Flight Sim or test a chunk of the software help design, I rarely bother with Vista. Mac rocks!

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 07:12
Beechnut

Pray tell me why I should spend THAT amount of money on a Mac follwed by an arm, leg and right testicle worth on new software (why would I Boot Camp? Defeats the purpose of getting a Mac, surely) and that is before retraining kids in things?

If I decide to change anything I'll be going Open Source, I don't see why I should get ripped off by Mr. Jobs AND Mr. Gates (in your boot camp scenario) and there is NO WAY I am paying over €2000 for a Mac which has lower capabilities (slower CPU, less memory, less hard drive space, weaker graphics card, only one DVD drive, etc) than the Vista PC I paid €1400 for.

Saab Dastard
14th Mar 2008, 12:00
All, please remember that Mac / PC war threads and / or posts will be cut off at the knees.

This doesn't yet scale the required heights of vitriol to qualify (by some distance), but I like to get my retaliation in first!

:ok:

SD

Loose rivets
15th Mar 2008, 12:02
Well, I took my Fujutsu back. I was the only one that couldn't get hooked up to wireless on pals (3) routers despite one illegal access to an unprotected signal.

Quite experienced friends could not throw light on problem.

Yes, I will get the dummies book.

I was warming to Vista a little bit, it does have some handy tools, but I never did master getting Explorer to open in the folder I wanted it to. On Xp, I use four different Explorers to open in different places.