PDA

View Full Version : Oz pilot working in the USA

Retarded Spark
4th Dec 2000, 09:08
G'day my Northern Hemisphere counterparts. I'm an Australian, already started in the GA scene down here. My lady may be going to the States to complete a Masters in her chosen field, and I want to know about emplyement over there. What would I need, how long would a working permit take, the deal with converting to FAA licences from our CASA, aswell as availability of work for less-than-500hr, M/E Instrument rated pilots over there.

Any information would be useful, as well as job offers (ok, perhaps a little too pre-emptive).

Thanks.

Oil Captain
4th Dec 2000, 21:11
Is your "lady" a US Citizen? NO, well then she isn't going to help much with getting a job here.
You can send in questions about your possible work visa or just read some of the Qs&As already there.
cards.http://www.usvisanews.com/wedquest092700.html

[This message has been edited by Oil Captain (edited 04 December 2000).]

FAAJAA
6th Dec 2000, 04:47
If you "converted" your licenses, you would get an FAA private with multi priviliges, VFR only. You would have to take the checkrides for IR, Commercial and Multi IR. If you are not a CFI, i suggest doing the instructor ratings, and finding a school to give you free accomadation or soemthing, because your odds of getting a work permit are virtually 0. Sorry to be so negative, but i learned the hard way. Hence, I got married.

Retarded Spark
6th Dec 2000, 05:22
Thanks guys, we'll take your info into account when deciding what path to take.

britavia
8th Dec 2000, 23:43
Unfortunately FAAJAA ia correct. Unless you know something we don't, marriage is still the most acceptable route into the USA.