PDA

View Full Version : British Electoral Register

WorkingHard
13th Mar 2008, 10:10
I am very angry at what to some may seem trivial but please read on. All local authorities are legally required to keep the electoral register and it has to be in the public domain. i decided I would just check to see if my details are recorded correctly and so went and asked. I would like a simple print out please. COST FOR HITTING PRINT BUTTON - 24.50. YES 24.50!!!!!!!
It should be made illegal to be charged for anything relating to oneself. Does anyone know a better way of getting a print to confirm details recorded?

fireflybob
13th Mar 2008, 10:56
Presumably this was online and yes I agree that sort of charge is quite outrageous!

What about going down to the local library though - they should have a copy. But when I asked recently they let me look but I couldn't take the electoral roll away from the counter in case I was going to copy same for commercial purposes!

gingernut
13th Mar 2008, 11:05
Why do you need a print out?

bnt
13th Mar 2008, 11:10
... I couldn't take the electoral roll away from the counter in case I was going to copy same for commercial purposes!
That's because that's a Full electoral register, which includes people who have opted out of the Edited register, the one which is sold for commercial purposes. link (http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/your-vote/access.cfm)

UniFoxOs
13th Mar 2008, 11:13
Information held on a computer must be made available to the subject for a maximum charge that used to be 10. I would not be surprised to find that theiving b$%^& Brown has allowed this to be increased thereby providing more stealth tax.
UFO

Bo Nalls
13th Mar 2008, 13:00
Try ''192.com'' which, if you enter your name & location will display basic electoral register details. For a small charge, you can delve deeper into the 'open source' information.