PDA

View Full Version : Washington Dulles immigration delays?

pup150
12th Mar 2008, 19:17
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the length of time immigration procedures at Dulles may take. I fly in from Heathrow and have been sold a package that gives me 1 hour 25min before the connecting onward flight. I am a little concerned having read on another forum delays with non US nationals and this might not be enough time.

The flight is with United, and as it was sold as a package They have said I can get on the next available if no fault of my own, however where would I stand if I need to overnight. Does anyone know if I could claim a hotel?

Thanks

toledoashley
12th Mar 2008, 19:47
The last time I went a couple of years ago it took me the best part of 2 hours (went with virgin). The worst experiance of ANY US airport i have travelled to JFK/LAX/PHI/MCO/IAD.

CallBell
12th Mar 2008, 19:57
If you are bussed from the aircraft to the immigration hall, stay near the front of the bus/mobile lounge as when you arrive, you should be among the first off and into the hall.

Eboy
12th Mar 2008, 22:55
CallBell has good advice. Don't sit in the people mover. Don't move all the way back even if the driver says so. Stand in the corner right inside the people mover door and you won't block others and may be first in immigration from your flight (there may be another 100-200 or so already in line, however). I think that is going to be a very tight connection for Dulles. I agree Dulles has a fairly dreadful arrival, immigration, transfer process. With United there is a good chance your luggage will not be on the indicated carousel in customs. Don't wait. Look around for your bags. They may be already pulled off and standing on the floor by the time you get there from immigration. Wish I had better advice but that is the reality at Dulles. Hope it goes smoothly.

G-ARZG
13th Mar 2008, 21:59
Don't know if still the same, but arriving at Dulles with an onward connection on UA last year, there's a seperate immigration hall for transfers? Washington-bound pax take the mobile lounges, but for
transferring pax immigration is in the basement of the pier......

Avman
13th Mar 2008, 22:14
Don't know if still the same, but arriving at Dulles with an onward connection on UA last year, there's a seperate immigration hall for transfers

That's still the case - at the end of Concourse C. You only have to use the shuttle if you're connecting onto one of their commuter flights, but it's fairly quick. Also, if UNITED themselves offer the 90 minute connection, I guess they must be pretty confident it's achievable.

Eboy
13th Mar 2008, 22:16
Good point. I think that basement hall is for international transfers -- I've never used it since DC is my home. If one is transferring to a domestic flight, one will have to do the "mobile lounge" thing and go through immigration/customs in the main terminal since DC is the port of entry.

WHBM
14th Mar 2008, 08:25
At a number of US arrival points, the only approach is to get out of the aircraft as quickly as you can. Push where you have to. Then when you get into the corridors towards immigration, run. Don't walk fast, but run.

Be sure your forms are absolutely correct to the letter otherwise you can be sent to the back to amend them.

It is normal for US airlines to quote ambitious transfer times at their hubs. They expect that quite a proportion will not make it but they rely on being able to just put you on the next flight going that way, in the (often incorrect) belief that they offer frequent services from their hubs to all points. If they didn't offer such opportunities their overall flights then become perceived as "taking too long" and passengers will book with other airlines. Better get the revenue and sort out the problems on the day - especially as they can be blamed on a third party, the immigration staff, the airline having operated its flights to time and thus being perceived as not responsible.

cjhants
14th Mar 2008, 13:55
had a similar connection this time last year (to orlando). as mentioned above the immigration hall is close to the pier, as i remember. immigration and transfer was a doddle.
thought dulles was a dump though, i thought heathrow was scruffy!.

G-ARZG
14th Mar 2008, 18:53
I used that basement immigration in from LHR on UA, then out again on
a UA affiliate CRJ700 domestic. 'ZG