PDA

View Full Version : UK Politics

Waldo.P
12th Mar 2008, 18:49
So that's it? Is anyone going to better off?
At least the frontline troops have got some funds:D

flowman
12th Mar 2008, 19:01
Thought Cameron's speech after the Budget was a classic. Brown and Darling could not listen as they were confronted with the failures of the last 10 years.
Pensioners will be better off for one year only.
If he thinks a few pence on a pint will stop the binge drinkers he lives on another planet, that will only penalise the old fellas down at the social.
Cider is still taxed well below the level applied to beer, correct me if i'm wrong but that's what the young get lashed on.
A thousand quid showroom tax on a gas guzzler? Won't make a bit of difference. It's not an environmental tax, it's just a pathetic attempt to fill the black hole of debt whilst trying to appear vaguely green.
National debt now at the bottom of the league with (from memory) Hungary, Egypt and Pakistan.
Makes you proud to British :yuk:

Lafyar Cokov
12th Mar 2008, 19:47
At least the frontline troops have got some funds

Its a bit more - "At least the frontline troops have got some funds already announced in numerous spending plans but now already taken up by the recent overspend on Iraq and Afghanistan"

Salusa
12th Mar 2008, 22:39
Thought Cameron's speech after the Budget was a classic. Brown and Darling could not listen as they were confronted with the failures of the last 10 years.

Bang on!

I’m not very eloquent, but my own opinion is, if Broon and Luvvie Darling can't be bothered to listen in parliament then what makes people think they will listen to the voters?

Surprised not more comments on this subject..??

hellsbrink
13th Mar 2008, 07:29
from Daily Mail

Tax
But no further changes to the regime in this Parliament or the next

Election soon?

green granite
13th Mar 2008, 08:15
Once again higher taxes on people who live in the countryside.

Flap 5
13th Mar 2008, 08:56
With this government I am getting the picture in my head of lemmings charging inevitably towards the cliff edge. :ooh:

We are told now that the last 11 years have been good financial years for us. What with all those stealth taxes? Clearly it is not a cliff edge they are charging towards - it's the edge of the other planet they live on. :ugh:

Len Ganley
13th Mar 2008, 09:30
The list of car tax changes for 2009/10 is here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

He's gone from 7 tax bands to 13.

Unlike Bliar, who wanted 'Mondeo Man' to vote for him, Brown seems determined to tax him to death.(Even a 1.6L mondeo will fall into Band H).

Will the extra revenue go towards improving the transport infastructure or investment in supposedly 'greener' forms of transport?
Of course not. It's just another way of raising taxes to prop up Labours' spending commitments.

PS. Anyone want to buy my BMW Convertible?:O

Cumulogranite
13th Mar 2008, 10:58
The bit that makes me laugh (or cry) is that every time the tories launch an attack on labour, they turn round and claim that the situation is better than when they took over and then start to list the tory cock-ups.

IT WAS 11 BLOODY YEARS AGO !!!! Whilst Mr Brown might have had a point for the first couple of years after they came to power, that argument holds about as much water as a seive. All the problems the country faces toady are purely the fault of 11 years of labour rule. Don't get me wrong, I am no tory lover either, but the stealth taxes and political correctness will be the benchmark of a new labour government and will hopefully also be on the tombstone of this government.

My problem is who takes over from them??? The tories are as bad and the monster raving loony party is more electable than the liberals, so who to vore for???? Perhaps I should start a party of my own......

Curious Pax
13th Mar 2008, 12:09
Nothing ever changes - Labour spent 1974-79 saying that at least things were better than under the Tories in 70-74, as there was no 3 day week or power cuts. The Tories then spend 18 years saying that things were better under them than 74-79, due to less strikes etc. Whoever follows Labour will spend x years saying that they are doing better than 1997-20xx.

It always amazes me that people expect some Utopia where governments don't annoy you, and always do what you want.

At least with this budget not much changed (relatively) so there isn't as much to get your head round!

frostbite
13th Mar 2008, 13:14
"At least with this budget not much changed (relatively) so there isn't as much to get your head round!"

Unless he's done what Gordon became famous for, and there are a lot of well hidden nasties that will only come to bite us in the months ahead.

ZH875
13th Mar 2008, 13:32
Remember when Generous Gordon sold off half of the UK gold reserves, just think what Darling Alistair could get if (when) he sells the other half.

Gold hits $1,000 for first time (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7294040.stm) "Since the beginning of the year the value of gold has increased by about 20%, after it rose 32% in 2007."

At least John Major had an excuse, he was no good at maths, what is Gordo's excuse, still, he has his pension and PM billy bonus to pay the tax hikes with.

Ozzy
13th Mar 2008, 13:33
Seems to me this "green" fecking movement is just another excuse for the government to introduce new taxes. Who crunches the numbers to prove that tax X increases "greeness" by Y% which means a saving of Z pounds per year? What a load of ballix.

If the government really meant us to be green it would be introducing incentives, e.g. 5% of your shopping bill if you bring cloth bags to the supermarket and don't use plastic bags; or a £2000 tax reduction if you buy a hybrid car and a £1000 reduction for not buying a gas guzzler...I could go on.

No wonder green means money. Your money going to the social welfare system on a fecking lie.:mad::mad:

Ozzy

Mercenary Pilot
13th Mar 2008, 13:53
Seems to me this "green" fecking movement is just another excuse for the government to introduce new taxes.

Ahhh good to see people realising this finally! :D

;)

W.R.A.I.T.H
13th Mar 2008, 14:22
Ahhh good to see people realising this finally! :D

Exactly. It's all a big manipulative farce with no scientific (that includes statistics) foundation whatsoever. We'll talk the day the government (any government) passes a ceiling on imported/manufactured car engine sizes. Until then, green my a$$. Hypocrisy perfected to the utmost.

airship
13th Mar 2008, 14:47
I'm trying to get my thoughts straight over the recent market turmoils. In particular, this BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7293663.stm) about CCC, a hedge-fund operated by the Carlyle Group (isn't that where John Major - ex. UK PM - Conservative party, works or was at least employed as a consultant at some stage?)...

The collapse of CCC will apparently result in its' investors losing some $600 million. Because they cannot, or will not, continue to repay $16.6 billion that this hedge-fund has previously borrowed. I have some notion of leverage, in this case it looks like for every $1 of cash put up by investors, another $27 was borrowed...?!

The financial institutions which financed these huge borrowings will now take over CCC's remaining assets (debt). The general taxpayer in the guise of the Fed, ECB etc. have just agreed to allowing these same financial institutions a whopping $200 billion+ credit line, accepting the very same assets that resulted in CCC's default, as suitable collateral for the new loans...?!

Speaking for the ordinary taxpayer: are we not being taken for a ride here? :confused: I mean, in the good old days of hedge-funds, this leverage allowed these same investors huge profits which were not subject to any windfall taxes. Nor were the same financial institutions offering all the leverage and profiting highly from the phenomenom...

So why, now, do the ordinary working and middle-classes have to stump up...? We have a right to know...?! :mad:

Forkandles
13th Mar 2008, 14:58
... the Carlyle Group (isn't that where John Major - ex. UK PM - Conservative party, works or was at least employed as a consultant at some stage?)...

Many a big hitter from high up in the US Government as well, including both Bushes. I can smell a Jet Blast conspiracy theory brewing.

I can only imagine that we, Joe Public, are bent over and shafted at every turn. Same as it's always been and ever will be. :(

Sunray Minor
13th Mar 2008, 15:03
Airship,

As the saying goes: "We pay the rich man more to make him work harder. We pay the poor man less to make him work harder". It's a crap state of affairs and utterly unfair.

BellyAir
13th Mar 2008, 15:13
In budgets past they never bothered with a justification.

at least it shows that they are starting to feel some degree of shame about what they are doing.

The 'green' excuse could run and run.

Next budget look out for the exhalation license because we all give out CO2 when we exhale. Probably introduced for pets and livestock first.

Standard Noise
13th Mar 2008, 16:21
Budgets like that make me want to drive my Discovery even more.
Green my arse.
More money to pay for feckless lazy w4nkers who won't work like the rest of us. Yep...........MPs, that's the ones!

ZH875
13th Mar 2008, 16:35
Why should we keep a bloke who failed in his Dutch Asylum bid, then his UK one.

Story here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7294908.stm)

Mugs the lot of us.

modtinbasher
13th Mar 2008, 16:57
Told you on another post: See Sky 813, adverts at every advert from solicitors who will get the chosen few, (a lot really I mean, despite Office of National Statistics data), compensayshun for failed asylum claims.

MTB

max_cont
13th Mar 2008, 17:06
So you think it's right that he should be hung for being gay?

Surely this is one case where we should step in. His partner has already been murdered by the state in Iran. :*

Ozzy
13th Mar 2008, 17:53
So you think it's right that he should be hung for being gay? I for one do not think he should be. However the UK needs to enforce its immigration laws. Quite a problem.

Ozzy

Juud
13th Mar 2008, 17:56
ZH875, your post is at best ill-informed, at worst purposely tendentious and misleading.

Why should we keep a bloke who failed in his Dutch Asylum bid The reason he failed is Dutch Asylum bid is because he failed it in the UK first! And since UK authorities didn´t grant this young man asylum, Dutch authorities´ hands are bound by EU law. An EU law that for obvious reasons forbids asylum-shopping within EU borders.
I am amazed that the UK kicked him out in the forst place, and by the sound of it, so is the Home Secretary.
Civilised countries do not deport people who face a certain death sentence.

May common sense prevail.

Beatriz Fontana
13th Mar 2008, 18:10
Two things spring to mind.

First, I didn't think that the UK deported persons to countries that employed capital punishment (EU Human Rights legislation, perchance?).

Second, I thought that those seeking asylum were supposed to do that in the first safe haven, not, for instance, travel through the EU to get to the UK. I know what Spain does to the illegals, and I doubt the French do the same.

Mini rant over.

ZH875
13th Mar 2008, 18:42
ZH875, your post is at best ill-informed, at worst purposely tendentious and misleading.

The reason he failed is Dutch Asylum bid is because he failed it in the UK first!

I have now discovered that, only after reading the last two lines of the BBC report, it was not meant to mislead, it just appeared that we were to take failed asylum seekers.

When will any European government pass a law banning Islam, due to its incompatibility with the Human Rights act.

What will happen to all non-heterosexual people when the UK becomes an Islamic state?

yakker
13th Mar 2008, 20:16
How is it green if I now change my car for a no rfl machine? Do we not count the cost of manufacture?
Divide the pollution by manufacture by the pollution of using the car, how many years do I need to run the car before its carbon neutral?

Prudent labour my arse, if I borrow every year because I spend more than I earn would Gordon call me prudent?

Standard Noise
14th Mar 2008, 00:25
Tis another joy of owning a Land Rover product, it may use a bit more diesel than yer average family runaround (although considering some of the people carriers on the roads I'm not so sure) but it will be around long after most 'ordinary' cars have gone to the scrapyard.
No car manufacturer will be making another car for me for a very long time. Early Discoveries are knocking on for 20 years old now and still going strong. At 7, mine is but a baby.

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 09:15
Ok, everyone. Here's the first "big hit" from the budget.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/14/nbudget114.xml

Gawd help you if you dare to drive any car, with even he humble Nissan Micra (hardly a gas guzzler) coming under the new "green taxes".

Cumulogranite
14th Mar 2008, 09:31
Green is a poor excuse for yet more tax. Why don't the politicians use some of thier meager reserves of honesty and integrity and just say "we need to tax you more" rather than dressing it up as helping to save the planet. Cows and sheep produce more greenhouse gas than humans. Rotting peat bogs produce more co2 than the entire aviation industry. Yet air fares are a prime target as is a car owner.

I don't mind paying my taxes as long as they are upfront. But this shower have hidden so many it will take years to unravel them all.

I still don't understand why we cannot have the flat rate tax system. It is proven that we would have a higher free pay limit, pay a lower percentage overall, and it is as fair as fair can be, that you pay a percentage of what you earn. The low paid therefore pay proportiante to the well paid. In addition it doesn't take 20million civil servants to administer it thus saving the public purse some more money.

As a final rant, I was in the quacks yesterday. Whilst waiting for the nurse I happened to come across a phone list on the wall. Being a nosey sod I thought I'd have a look. This is for the disease management unit, responsible for immunisations and the odd break out of the plague! There is one consultant, 2 nurses. Then there is a PA, a PA's assistant, 2 senior secretarys, an administrator and an admin assistant. so 3 clinical staff and 6 pen pushers. No wonder the NHS is in a poor state!!!

Nick Riviera
14th Mar 2008, 13:22
'Civilised countries do not deport people who face a certain death sentence.'

I would say that would entirely depend on the circumstances. We quite rightly should not send home somebody who will be killed for being gay. But I have no problem with sending home somebody who has been found guilty of a terrorist attack, for example, for which the penalty in said country was death.

Sunray Minor
14th Mar 2008, 14:16
Nick,

Unfortunately we send people back to countries where they will probably be executed even though we haven't found them guilty of terrorism.

seekayess
14th Mar 2008, 18:49
Just join Gordie Broon!!

As per THIS (http://tinyurl.com/34aukk)!!

modtinbasher
14th Mar 2008, 19:58
And they are supposed to be looking after us?

What in hell's teeth is going on in this country?

Our elected representatives? What a feckin gravy train!!

MTB

Standard Noise
14th Mar 2008, 20:03
Shouldn't vote for politicians, only encourages the feckers.

Put1992
14th Mar 2008, 20:05
what next?:rolleyes:

seekayess
14th Mar 2008, 20:38
what next?

Official sanction to the bit on the side to occupy and use the second kitchen and bathroom?

:}:}

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 20:47
You just realised that, MTB?

Krystal n chips
15th Mar 2008, 10:07
Adds a whole new slant to that well known concept...... P and F ( that's us and the souce of the £££'s ) and a hitherto unknown ability of our esteemed representatives I.....then .:rolleyes:

Cumulogranite
18th Mar 2008, 17:33
My dear Krystal
Whilst I appreciate that one has moved to another part of this land, is there any chance of having that in English??

al446
18th Mar 2008, 22:02
As one who smokes too much (wife does too), drinks a fair bit (wife does too), both drive AND frequent the skies regularly I am not complaining about the budget. As has been pointed out it has been years since Mr or Mrs Blue Rinse has had to have the maid polish the brass at No 10.
I work with homelessness, a sure target for Tory cuts if they get in. Any idea what that will do to our societies?
Cameron talks some talk but no flesh on the bones, lots of platitudes but nothing concrete, even core values - a bit like the movie "Being there" really.
It's all very well to slag Brown off but he does not control the world economy nor does Bush, remember McMillan's "Events dear boy, events"
I personally think this gov is knitting the fog quite well.:D

tony draper
18th Mar 2008, 22:27
I want Tony Blair to come back and rescue us.:{

Doors to Automatic
19th Mar 2008, 01:08
Forget Blair, I would give my hind teeth to have John Major back.

At least I had some pride in this country in the mid 90s despite its faults.

Now it is overrun with a bunch of inept politically-correct communists who are only interested in protecting the rights of those who contribute the least to society whilst taxing the rest of us ever more.

And all this global warming stuff is a load of [email protected] as well. Just an excuse to tax and control us more and most people are too stupid to realise that.

Binoculars
19th Mar 2008, 03:05
A thoughtful and moderate post as we have come to expect from D to A over the years.

If only the great minds had thought to ask him about global warming and received his astonishing insight we could have all saved ourselves a lot of heartache and money. :rolleyes:

Doors to Automatic
19th Mar 2008, 11:26
There are no great minds; just manipulated puppets of the left-wing establishment. A great way to tax us ever more and generally make our lives more difficult making us too busy to form any useful objection. A classic ploy that used to be employed by the communists.

Remember all the fuss about the Ozone layer? Strangely that has disappeared (no not the ozone layer; just the hype!). All this CO2 nonsense will go the same way.

The founder of the Weather Channel (who one would expect to have more than a basic knowledge of the subject) seems to agree.

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog/comments_about_global_warming/

Cumulogranite
19th Mar 2008, 11:30
Global warming is an issue. An important issue. That is a given.

However, taxing the carp out of the internal comustion engine in all its guises is not the answer. It is a GLOBAL problem, and that is the key word here, GLOBAL. Whilst we all need to do our bit to cut it down, this needs to happen in every country on Earth. I am sure the Chinese are bothering!! NOT !!!!!!!

Then there is the other school of thought, promoted by scientists and hushed up by Government. That this is simply a cycle that our planet goes through every XYZ years. 300 hears from now our descendants will be discussing global freezing!!

The bottom line is that our government have no credibility, no reources, and no imagination, and therefore, as said before are taxing those that play the game to support those that don't. If being under a labour government is so good, then why am i earning £8000 a years less than I was 4 years ago? Why am I paying roughly the same amount of tax though?

Look on the commons benches, the labour party wear blue ties, and the tories are wearing red, speaks volumes!! The liberals are useless. So what are we left with? Nothing, nothing at all. We should have the "none of the above" on the ballot slip. And they wonder why they get low turnouts at elections.

We need a party with the cojones to stand up to Europe, to regain our soverignty and right to make our own laws again. The right to cut back what we pay the EU every year, that will solve a lot of problems overnight! We need to re-introduve decent punishemnts, lock burglars up properly. Bring back the cane in schools to teach discipline and self respect to our kids. Lets start hanging a few murderers. Cut petty crime totally, by making drug dealing a hanging offence. That way most wont bother, and those that do will soon know what a rope looks like, and so will be dis-inclined to do it again. That means less drugs on the streets and less petty crime to fuel drug habits. The idea is simple, so why not??

I love this nation, but it isn't great anymore. It is a melting pot for the "what's in it for me" club, that is gradually handing our power to Europe. A sad memory for those that paid the ultimate price some 60 odd years ago.

Rant mode off

Doors to Automatic
19th Mar 2008, 12:34
Cumulogranite - you make a good point. If global warming is an issue it is a global problem.

There is no use at all in me sorting my rubbish into 7 different bins, installing the odd energy saving lightbulb and cramming my shopping into one less plastic bag is America keeps the gargantuan 4x4 and the mode of transport of choice and the second world keeps pumping out industrial polution as if there is no tomorrow.

Like I say, I don't think our unelected communist "leader" cares about that too much; he is only interested in robbing us of our hard-earned cash.

Cumulogranite
20th Mar 2008, 09:41
D2A, couldn't agree more.

And this brings me onto another rant, my local bloody council!
In an effort to show green credentials they have made an ammendment to the refuse service.

So, we now have a roll of 60 blue, see through (the plastic is that thin) bin bags to last us a whole year. In addition these bags will be inspected, and if they find any bottles, cans, green waste, paper in it they will prosecute me.

So in addition to paying for a refuse collection, I now need to have 3 kitchen bins to seperate the rubbish, from the other, as well as a green wheelie bin for the garden rubbish (that the council turn into compost and charge us for if we buy it. It's mine in the first place you robbing gits) a normal dustbin, a white bag for the papers and a black box for the bottles.

Let me get this straight, I am paying a large amount of money every year for refuse services, when I am segregating it all, providing the council with storeage for 3 bins and a big roll of bin bags, and what they re-cycle they then charge for anyway. Meanwhile my daughter is in a mixed class (2 different years in one class with one teacher) because they haven't the funding to have a proper class set-up. Perhaps if they diverted the money away from the millions of different coloured bags and bins that they buy they might be able to afford it.

When I was a kid, you put rubbish in the bin, the bin man came, picked up the bin and emptied it into the cart and put the bin back, what's wrong with that today??

Rant off

Sunray Minor
20th Mar 2008, 10:33
DTA,

There is no use at all in me sorting my rubbish into 7 different bins....

because you can't be bothered?

I think that is more the real reason, not the fact that someone in America drives a 4x4. No less, why should any emerging economy, China for example, bother with environmental concerns, as afterall, they could simply say "All you Western nations have been producing massive per capita emissions for the last 100 years and won't do anything to change - why should we?". Ever heard of leadership?

Anything can be justified with an attitude like yours. Besides, someone else out there is going to drop litter in the street, I might as well too. If hoodies on the street corner are going to smash a car window in, damn, why not me?

BTW - the Ozone layer is nowhere near England. I can tell you, if you live in the southern hemisphere it is still very much an issue (with skin cancer rates to back that up). The "hype" as you call it was a worldwide plea to reduce CFC use, which thankfully was heeded. Statements like yours speak volumes for narrow-mindedness.

Whats more, if your opposition to AGW theory is based on someone who makes statements like this: t is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create an illusion of rapid global warming. Other scientists of the same environmental whacko type jumped into the circle to support and broaden the “research” to further enhance the totally slanted, bogus global warming claims. Their friends in government steered huge research grants their way to keep the movement going. ....I am truly shocked.

Cumulo,

Without Europe, England would never set emissions targets or give a flying fvck about the environment. We would be following America's lead, which is a hell of a lot less enlightened than that of Europe. And have you ever considered the old way of doing things (be it putting all rubbish in one bag, cutting down any tree you can find to putting asbestos in building materials) was maybe not the best?

These rants smack more of lazyness than anything else. If the biggest hardship in life in sorting trash, then perhaps this is more the issue with English politics: middle England has got too fat, lazy and wound up by the pathetic non-issues of life to really see the bigger picture.

Cumulogranite
20th Mar 2008, 12:01
Sunray
This is not about laziness. And I don't believe that all the old ideas were the best either.

What I object to is the council relieving me of several thousand pounds a year, a large element of which goes to refuse services, and then I have to do all the bloody work for them! I would happliy sort my rubbish if they knocked something off the bill, but they don't! How would you like to take your car to a decent car wash, order a valet, hand over £50 and then have some bloke say "heres the hose and the vac, call me when you are done mate!"

I agree that we pushed a lot of CO2 in the air in years gone by, same as all other developed countries did at the time, and yes the USA do seem to lag behind a lttle. I have no objection to saving the planet either, but I fail to see why I sould be taxed to high heaven by our government in the interests of green issues whilst everyone else (India, China, USA etc) are still carrying on as before. It is not a case of sorting the problem, it is a case of blatant taxation hiding behind a valid issue. Charging me an extra £50 on my road tax, or a couple of hundred a year on petrol is not going to stop global warming overnight. As I say, cows produce more CO2 in the UK than humans!! Perhaps they ought to make it illegal to be a cow? Or better still, tax the farmer, £20 per cow fart!! Government CO2 inspectors could go around the country monitoring cows and counting thier farts every day. That would work!!

It is not about the green issues, it is about rip off britain. My council are charging me to do thier job for them. Does that sound fair?? My daughters education is suffering due to a lack of funding whilst the council spend millions on new refuse procedures and equipment. Does that sound fair? I pay thousands a year to keep my car on the road. (I need it to get to work as there is no public transport at 4 in the morning) yet no other country taxes the motorist in this manner, does that sound fair?? I work long hours to pay my way. I have a modest home and car. My only extravegance is flying and I only do about 20 mins a month of that, it is all I can afford. I am struggling to afford a holiday this year thanks to the increased tax burden, yet when I do go away I am forced to share the beach with the DSS brigade. The idea of social support is to help those that have fallen on hard times to help them survive. I met a woman and her 3 kids last year in Mallorca who was on her 3rd 2 week holiday there, kids out of school in term time I might add, who proudly told everyone that it was paid for by the social. NO IT ISN'T IT IS PAID FOR BY THE POOR SODS LIKE ME THAT ARE TAXED TO DEATH! I part own a flat there and couldn't afford 6 weeks of it. My taxes are paying for this!!!!!

Rip off Britain is here, and we live in a not very fair society where you seem to be rewarded for breaking the rules. Perhaps I should rob a bank, sort out all my financial worries, and look forward to a bit of gardening as a reward for getting caught.

Curious Pax
20th Mar 2008, 12:40
I'm surprised that (as far as I know) no private refuse firms have set up a private collection service whereby for a fee they will take away your rubbish unsorted, and do the sorting for you. Horrible job, though I'm sure they could find people who would do it for the minimum wage.

Ozzy
20th Mar 2008, 13:12
I work with homelessness, a sure target for Tory cuts if they get in. Surely cutting homelessness is a good thing!:E

Global warming is an issue. An important issue. That is a givenUtter bollocks. Al Gore invented it as he had nothing better to do. In any case, I thought the term was now "Climate change" as no bugger could agree on whether the planet was warming up or coolling down. What a load of gobsh!te by people with nothing better to do.:ugh:

Ozzy

BenThere
20th Mar 2008, 14:10
I believe the best refuse scheme is to haul off all waste to the prison where prisoners would sort it and use the revenues from recycling to help pay for their upkeep while confined.

There's plenty of sorting to do and plenty of incarcerated criminals to do it. Some might even decide they dislike the job enough to not risk coming back.

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 15:42
What about all the sharp stuff in there, Ben?

Doors to Automatic
20th Mar 2008, 18:39
Why every household cannot be issued with two bins, a black one and a green one (for broadly recyclable stuff) is beyond me.

The recycling bin contents can be taken to a recycling centre and sorted by hand. We all get to do our bit for the environment without feeling like we are living in some sort of repressive communist police state.

Of course if the clever sneering Guardian-reading types want to sit there sorting rubbish into numerous different piles they are free to do so but the rest of us would just like to get on with our lives, in my case earning the cash to pay twice the council tax I did in 1997 for an inferior service.

Cumulogranite
20th Mar 2008, 19:39
D 2 A :D:D:D :D

My point exactly.

Funny thing is I have just been watching a piece on the TV news about risons. And besides the fact that they strongly resemble a Travel Lodge (ameneties wise) the same thought of sorting the rubbish came into my head as well. What a bloody good idea!:D

Krystal n chips
21st Mar 2008, 07:15
DTA,

You know, I could swear your last paragraph supports the concepts of the first two......:D:E

Anyway, on to other matters.......or rather, phew ! what a relief ...or rather, worms / can of / opening and a delicate aroma of fish.....or maybe another substance comprising of four letters :yuk::rolleyes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/mar/21/houseofcommons.conservatives

Foxy Loxy
23rd Mar 2008, 06:55
I wish I could say this shocks me....

TBH, I'm not even that surprised by it. Read here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/23/ntax123.xml

ORAC
23rd Mar 2008, 08:53
I'm surprised that (as far as I know) no private refuse firms have set up a private collection service whereby for a fee they will take away your rubbish unsorted NOW PAY 8 POUNDS A TIME TO GET YOUR BIN EMPTIED (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/37735/Now-pay-8-pounds-a-time-to-get-your-bin-emptied)

Waste Concern (http://www.wasteconcern.com/display.asp?area=about&page=1)

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Mar 2008, 09:00
As this thread is called UK Politics, here's something for contemplation. The free vote.

I'm not going to take one side or the other on the embryo bill, but the run up to the vote is proving to be another demonstration of a Prime Minister who dithers. All the other parties are allowing a free vote mainly - but not entirely - down to the religious convictions of some party members. the ruling Labour Party is being told to toe the line i.e. vote for the bill or else.

So where does that leave the Cabinet Ministers particularly who have religious convictions and have to vote against them? One has said he'd resign, silence from two others. Earlier in the week the Labour Party said the Cabinet Ministers could abstain. Today comes news Labour MPs can oppose parts of the bill but 'only if it did not threaten the passage' of it.

What's the betting by Tuesday that all this hoo ha will be over nothing and a free vote will be allowed after all? Either that, or will Swiss Des have the courage not to abstain, but resign?

(There is also the argument that the MP is there to represent their constituents, not let their heart rule their head. Then again, we vote for the person who best represents our own views, don't we...?)

charliegolf
6th Sep 2009, 12:50
... isn't good enough as far as I'm concerned. I live in a town where Margaret Thatcher would get elected If she wore a red rosette. Labour have been a disaster, but someone reassure me that a Tory government will improve things for me- a former serviceman, paid my taxes without a break since college (prior to which i also paid).

List of immediate improvements actually likely to happen on a pprune card please; not what ppruners would like.

Absence of this lot is not a de facto improvement btw; and vitriol won't improve life either. (But feel free to feel better.)

CG

Lon More
6th Sep 2009, 13:33
If Mad Dave's lot get in things will really go down hill.
Anywhere North of Watford wil be declared an Employment black-spot and as such exempt from any form of government intervention, Pensions and benefits there will all be withdrawn, child labour re-introduced, etc. etc..

Vitriolic, yes; but viewed in a certain light the possibilities to line the pockets of the minority are endless.

Hobo
6th Sep 2009, 13:38
List of immediate improvements actually likely to happen

The answer is nothing.

I live somewhere where if you were a hat stand called Fidel Mao-Lenin you would get elected if you wore a blue rosette. Our Tory MP backed Local Cllrs are £1.5m in the red yet are throwing money about with abandon, and passing politically expedient planning applications which are wrecking the local area purely to stay in office.

passy777
6th Sep 2009, 13:54
I was told many years ago, during a general election, always vote for the party who you reckon will do you the least damage.

Using that advice, I would find it difficult to make a judgement next year as the reality is that the current government are just crap - and as for Cameron - he is as smarmy as he looks and you just cannot take him or his party seriously.

So it is either re-electing the current bunch of clowns or giving Cameron's bunch of Wuperts and Twistrams a chance.

I reckon the future looks somewhat bleak!

G&T ice n slice
6th Sep 2009, 15:17
If you live in a constituency where it is a foregone conclusion that the current MP (or any candidate from the same party) would win, then vote
BNP for the maximum annoyance of all other parties. If you haven't got a BNP candidate choose the next-worse ultra-right wing party, or anti-E.U. party; if you haven't got one of them then the socialist loony party will do.
Always select the maximum right-wing party for your protest vote as this gets all the talking heads frothing at the mouth.

And, if the worst comes to the worst and the BNP (for example) actually achieved a mojority on th HoC... well ask yoursaelf : could they realy actually do any worse.

sisemen
6th Sep 2009, 15:18
You could elect a coalition government and then get the leader to approach Australia and ask us to buy you and take you over. :}

ArthurR
6th Sep 2009, 15:29
Siseman, we sent all our convicts to Australia once, have you been sending them back as politicians, if not, do you want some more.

Glad I don't live in ENGLAND now..

asked this question before: why when asked to write my nationality and I write ENGLISH is this always changed to British?
or should I say Britisch, my misses has the same problem, she wants to say Bayrisch aber Sie muss es in Deutsch sagen

passy777
6th Sep 2009, 15:34
vote BNP for the maximum annoyance of all other parties.

I will reiterate what I suggested in my previous post, I would need to consider which party would cause me the least harm - BNP would not fall into that category I'm afraid - and I am white and indigenous to these shores.

As bad are the current lot and their likely successors are, that is one protest vote too far IMHO!

good spark
6th Sep 2009, 15:45
g&t
you are correct, basicly we as a nation are fecked if we think there are just two parties to screw us but i think its time for an alternative type (bnp) to govern this green and pleasant land,the scotsman and his band of [email protected] matey cronies have done nothing apart from put a nation of hard working folk in the sh1t for years of debt and the prospects of even
more hardship to prove that the wonderfull hehimself was right with his schemes -------- we must vote for someone else the humble man in the street has at his disposal a very powerful tool, the right to vote these @rsholes out.

gs

charliegolf
6th Sep 2009, 16:59
Good spark said:

the humble man in the street has at his disposal a very powerful tool, the right to vote these @rsholes out.

That's the serious point to the thread- who will do THINGS to make things better? Not being worse IS worse, perhaps.

CG

larssnowpharter
6th Sep 2009, 17:38
They can't possibly be as crap as the present lot...

They can...................

And they will be.

aviate1138
6th Sep 2009, 17:45
If Zak Goldsmith gets in then disaster will follow. He thinks Wind Power will save the world and that Nuclear Power should be removed.

If Cameron appoints him, goodbye the Tories. :rolleyes:

goudie
6th Sep 2009, 18:01
Unfortunately the edict, 'to serve one's Country and it's people' no longer applies as far as politicians are concerned. Apart from the extremists they're all from the same stable. We do not have men and women of the calibre of yesteryear.
Politicians are now in the same league as Estate Agents & Double Glazing salesmen. Apologies if you belong to one of those professions.

ShyTorque
6th Sep 2009, 18:37
CG, just vote for the party who vow to cull all the ugly sheep. :ok:

StaceyF
6th Sep 2009, 18:47
Or just make the changes yourself?

Vote for my party, it isn't difficult.......you HAVE the power.

Manifesto pledges:

(a) anyone with 3 convictions of the same sort gets euthanised (pay-per-view executions I'll accept as a tabled amendment)
(b) anyone procreating without a means of supporting said offspring is ineligible for any benefits
(c) anyone procreating without having passed an exam on how to be a good parent is also ineligible for any benefits
(d) yearly driving tests; failure means you can't reapply for five years

There are four to be going on with. There are lots more......

Now tell me you aren't crying out for me to be PM?

[EDIT] Do gooders ip addresses ****will**** be logged......expect the knock on the door at 3a.m :hmm:

Lon More
6th Sep 2009, 19:31
Didn't somebody once say that a country gets the govrnment it deserves??

FWIW i moved out 40 years ago and was thinking of retuning to the extent that i bought a house in Kent. Just waiting, optimist that I am, for an upturn in the economy to get shot of it.

Vote for Stacey

TURIN
6th Sep 2009, 19:34
Oh goody. Another thread to be hijacked by the reactionary PPrune faithful.

Nice try Charliegolf but you are p155ing into the wind here. :(

Blacksheep
7th Sep 2009, 08:31
It doesn't matter who gets in as long as Gormless Gordon gets the boot, along with all the useless members of his useless cabinet. Whatever damage Cameron might make, he couldn't possibly make things worse and it doesn't matter anyway: by the time of the 2015 election Cameron will be canned due to the measures he will be forced to implement in dealing with the Gormless One's errors and the Tories will then be replaced by yet another Labour administration. So, I don't care what happens in 2010, as long as Gormless Gordon and his crew become part of our history.

We've suffered more misery under Wislon, Callaghan, Bliar and Broon than any free electorate ought to be subjected to, but Broon is the worst of all by a country mile. At a personal level, GG's mismanagement of the economy has condemned me to work for the rest of my natural life, having seen my carefully saved pension provisions disappear into the pockets of pinstrip spivs. Meanwhile, my family (From Mam & Dad down - they were forced to sell their home to pay for care) has been reduced from a mildly prosperous working class existence to penury, yet still he wants to take more.

If this is what democracy gives us, maybe its time for a Dictatorship?

passy777
7th Sep 2009, 09:04
they were forced to sell their home to pay for care

Don't get me started on this one.

This is one of the most nastiest and unfair piece of legislation I can think of and my sympathy goes out to any family affected by such a horrible ruling.

It annoys the hell out of me when people have worked all of their lives and paid into a system that they believe will care for them in their old age, have to sell their assets to pay for their care.

This action will also likely have to be carried when the affected people are vulnerable and have other issues to worry about.

What compounds the outrage is when people who for whatever reason (and there will be some genuine reasons) have not worked, saved or have lived their lives on benefits - will get the care which we ALL should be entitled to.

I know you can beat yourself up by comparing what some people should or should not have, but I believe that this is just plain unfair - and I know - many things in life are not fair but this topic reaally gets to me.

If any party implemented a change of this ruling in their manifesto, I would vote for them - Yes, even Brown the Clowns lot.

larssnowpharter
7th Sep 2009, 16:33
If this is what democracy gives us, maybe its time for a Dictatorship?

Personally I would go for anarchy.

Just gotta get ourselves organized is all.

charliegolf
7th Sep 2009, 21:21
ShyTorque said:

CG, just vote for the party who vow to cull all the ugly sheep.

Noooooooo! Don't do that, I can't get a look-in with the pretty ones.:=

CG

Effluent Man
8th Sep 2009, 11:41
Just a word of warning to the Tories.It's been accepted for a couple of years that it's going to be a shoo in for Dave.The latest YouGov poll on Sunday gave him a 13% lead.This translates into a majority of 58.

However there hasn't been a General Election in living memory where the governing party has failed to narrow the gap in the last few months prior to the election.I got 14/1 on No overall Majority in June and placed £100 on it.With the economy looking like it's coming back now I think Dave may be in for a shock.

BlooMoo
9th Sep 2009, 21:29
You got 14/1 for £100 because the probability of payout by the bookie is < 0.071 i.e. very, very longshot... (and thats just for hung result)

If I were a bookie I'd offer something silly like 20/1 as maybe those odds would give me more than 10% more suckers who might throw me a ton.

With Broon apparently in place till May 2010, as chief f*cker-upperer of the UK, I agree, 14/1 today looks like very, very, very good odds for just a hung parliament. Good punt based on the odds.:ok: Bad punt based on reality.:suspect:

Based on his previous, give Broon another 6 months and 100/1 may look cheap as chips come the new year...