PDA

View Full Version : Real Simulation

rasobey
12th Mar 2008, 15:26
Hi all,

Not sure where to place this topic. This forum seems as good as any though :)

I've got a session booked in the B732 sim this weekend with Real Simulation in Bournemouth. For those who have perhaps had this experience, what can I expect? Will I be in the sim by myself with an instructor, or will other people be in there too? Also, will I be able to ask the instructor for specific experiences, like departing from YYYY airport on XX runway?

Cheers

Richard

A320fan
12th Mar 2008, 20:25
I went on teh B732 Real Simulation simulator at Arkendale, North Yorkshire which I believe is the same company.

There was a lounge area with magazines, books on the 737, maps on the walls etc where I waited for other people to arrive. For my particular session it was me and another two people plus the instructor who at the time was a bmi ERJ pilot at LBA (only 20 miles away from the sim).

To start with we were taken into a briefing room, with a cardboard mock up of the 737-200 cockpit showing basic instruments. The instructor just gave us a basic run down of the main ones, how to read them etc. We were then taken into the simualtor. It was already set up with us using ABZ as the take off/landing runway. We just started off all have a turn at a take off or landing, then we practised things like ILS and he changed the weather for each of us. My conditions was rain at night!

We simly payed around and attepted to get it on the ground (Who was the only one of us to get it down the centre line of the runway you may be asking! Well ......... :ok:)

It was a real good hour, most of hte time we were chatting with the instructor whilst flying the sim. Personally probably the best spent money in a while!

will fly for food 06
13th Mar 2008, 10:44
Did my MCC a few weeks ago on the 737-200 at bournemouth. You will enjoy flying it.

rasobey
13th Mar 2008, 11:12
Fantastic, that's what I wanted to hear :)

I'll report back on how I get on ;)

ThreadBaron
13th Mar 2008, 19:29
Shouldn't this be on the oxymoron thread?:hmm:

rasobey
6th May 2008, 10:12
:)

Well, fwiw, my original sim session was cancelled (I won't go into the details) and it was rebooked for last weekend. What a fantastic time. I was left wanting much more, though, and I think my next session will be an exclusive hour to myself in a A319/320. After reading the Airbus vs Boeing thread, I definately fall into the camp of wanting shiny new things, the 732 cockpit is anything but shiny and new :)

The session consisted of taxiing and getting used to steering on the ground, then takeoff from RW26, followed by a climb to FL30 and a left turn for the circuit. A further climb to FL100 before another left turn to track the centre line and an then the approach and landing. I think I did quite well, but was utterly unprepared for how much there is to concentrate on. Kudos to the pros.

The weather for the session was clear and dark. I would have preferred a spot of daylight, but I can't complain too much :)

pipertommy
6th May 2008, 12:28
Hi, Did a session with Real simulation early this year. Cant say enough about them, brilliant hour flying. Very relaxed. Enjoy:ok:

Captain Duff
7th May 2008, 19:33
Definitely worth getting a bit of sim practice if you can.

rasobey - you are right the 737-200 cockpit is anything but shiny and new. I've flown the sim you mention and also a 737NG down at Gatwick. Different beast entirely - modern and the graphics were much better.

I used it for sim assessment preparation booked through Virtual Aviation. Can't recommend them highly enough. Instructor took the trouble to phone me the day before the session and gave me tons of advice about the interview process and the usual Ryanair profiles and sops. Definitely felt it took the pressure off on the big day. Tempted to go back for another session before my type rating course starts!