PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rivets

Loose rivets
12th Mar 2008, 12:07
I'm sitting here with my new laptop beside me switched off. I'v had it a week or more and have not got onto the net despite two friends saying it's okay to use their router

One, using Xp, says that my computer is not set up for this ??? something or another and shows the line from "NETGEAR" with a big red cross on the other end.

Could it be that because I'm on Vista and he's on XP that the system says f-off.??

Other friend does not seem to have the correct password.:mad::mad::mad:

Now, he shows "his name" and askes for the password. Should it show NETGEAR for example rather than his name. Also, I'm on his machine now, is there anyway i can find out the password from the inner workings of Vista? WITHOUT MESSING UP HIS SYSTEM since he doesn't know the password....yes, he's a Luddite.

One does not have a phone line at the moment, so no sitting at home sorting the problem in my own time.

Machine goes back tomorrow at the order of the Rivetess. Please help me save my new toy.

frostbite
12th Mar 2008, 15:25
Sorry, no idea but have you spotted what's on BBC2 at 2150 tonight?

Saab Dastard
12th Mar 2008, 15:53
Before you throw it away (and please throw it my way ;) ), get hold of this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0471749400/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51P6JDKV7QL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

SD

Loose rivets
12th Mar 2008, 16:07
Yes, one is looking forward to seeing the home town through the eyes of an outsider. More is called for on JB one thinks.

The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network

To quote my laptop's message.

His brother brings his laptop and all is well.

My LT has locked onto a random unprotected signal and allowed me to see Google for a moment.

I think that my computer hates me, there can't be any other answer. Devices shows the device working, etc.

Wader2
12th Mar 2008, 16:17
Whilst SAAB assumes that you are trying a wireless connection is itindeed a wireless connection?

If it is a wireless connection have you even switched it on? You should find a small symbol somewhere on the laptop case (make/model please) with a small inverted triangle and aerial type symbol. If you have you should see an illuminated LED there.

You may see a similar aerial symbol, in blue, on one of the function keys. If the LED is out press FN and the appropriate Function key - the LED should then light.

Now can your laptop 'see' a wifi connection?

If you cannot see your friends routers get a copy of NetStumbler. When you run this on your laptop it will 'see' all the wireless routers in range. On a small estate last weekend my laptop could 'see' about 12 wifi routers. Netstumbler will name the networks, show whether they are secure or not and also give their signal strength. This will show whether it is secure or not; it will not enable you to bypass his password though. It should also show the type of security be it WEP, WAP WAP2, WAP_PSK etc.

On his computer you may be able to access his router setup. Open Internet Explorer or other syetm, and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar (no http://www etc) If that works you should then get the router Admin screen. Username is often ADMIN and the password also admin. Enter these and if you get into the router setup program blunder around until you find the security and network key.

It should show the type of security and the network key probably in HEX. Make a copy of that then you can set your laptop wirelss configuration to the same.

At this point refer to the manual as I am running off memory :)

In answer to your Vista/XP question I think that maes no difference.

Finally you could ring Netgear. As most computer problems are sorted through email and the internet but router problems, by definition, cannot be sorted that way their telephone helplines are usually first rate.

On the NETGEAR machine you may be able to find out the password