PDA

View Full Version : Aussie looking for Work

Java
3rd Jul 2000, 12:07
I am wondering if all the stories are true about pilot shortages with regional airlines in the USA. If so, are the regionals looking at hiring overseas pilots on a contract basis to help fill the shortages.

Replies appreciated

Victor Bravo
4th Jul 2000, 04:05
Java, the shortage is on. Have a look at the 'Hiring' thread in this forum. Continental Express having those sort of minimums must be screaming then.

Dunno about the contract stuff. Would be nice for a lot of pilots worldwide if the yanks did let them in and go fly an RJ etc.

Who knows??!

weasil
6th Jul 2000, 06:19
the shortage is true! see www.findapilot.com (http://www.findapilot.com) and you will find out! Noone can get instructors anymore because of the hiring rate.

Unfortunately regionals aren't hiring foreigners yet but there are lots of other companies like part 135 operators and charter operators!.... keep looking.

------------------
"..there's really nothing like a shorn scrotum. It's breathtaking, I suggest you try it"

Java
6th Jul 2000, 17:46
Victor Bravo and Weasil I appreciate your replies. I will be trying to find out as much as possible about flying in the states, especially if this shortage continues. With any luck the regionals will be forced to look at overseas pilots. I have heard that some regionals over there were cutting back routes due to a lack of pilots.

Ignition Override
7th Jul 2000, 09:09
At least one US regional has 'sponsored' a number of foreign pilots in the past. I met several of them. As to whether they still do, have no idea. Why do some folks out there avoid sending Pprune their e-mail addresses?

britavia
9th Jul 2000, 01:12
Well, I beg to differ. I've just returned from regional interview #2 and been rejected. It seems they are prefering

1) Those with existing 121/135 experience
2) Pt.141 ("big school") flight instructors

I'm not saying there isn't a "shortage" as such, but they are still picking and choosing who they want, which suggests there are still plenty of qualified pilots out there available. Interestingly, out of 5 interviewees yesterday, it appeared that none of us was selected for the sim ride session, which was the final interview stage.

The real shortage is for flight instructors, 135 charter and cargo operations. I have two offers for cargo work, one of which hasn't even interviewed me in person! With an ink-wet CFI, you'll have a job within a couple of days in this area.