PDA

View Full Version : Sim asessment prep.

paul k
11th Mar 2008, 23:47
how does one prep. for a sim assesment on an airbus/boeing/atr/dash if you have very little ifr and heavy jet/turboprop experience? is that what the mcc helps with? what about sop's?

what is the content and syllabus of an MCC course?

how much sim time is logged for a TR and MCC?

pk

virtualaviation
12th Mar 2008, 11:30
Check your Private Messages.

IrishJetdriver
13th Mar 2008, 17:24
MCC does what it says on the tin. Multi crew course. Not designed to teach you to fly that particular aircraft, although of course it will help considerably, but to teach you to work as a team. When I did mine many years ago, I did it on the L1011 Tristar sim at Bournemouth. This is particularly good as it is a multi-crew aircraft. many MCC courses are based on King Airs etc which strictly speaking are not multi-crew aircraft in the true sense.

As far as prep is concerned, the best start is to make sure your IR proficency is up to a good standard. If you have a strong chance of an interview / sim ride then it will pay to get a little time on a sim for that particular plane somewhere, even if it's only 1 hour. This will help you with dealing with the increased speed of a jet sim(if that's what is being used of course) and gives a feel for things. Don't worry about SOP's. At my company, the brief is thorough and you go through the check ride with another candidate, each taking turns as PF and PNF. In general they want a raw data SID, then return to the field by probably tracking an NDB, then probably an NDB approach to land. They don't expect perfection if you don't have much experience. they do expect a degree of situational awareness and a generally improving trend as you start to relax and get used to things. As the instructor said at the time "you are not competing with each other. You are there to help each other, and as long as you do a reasonable job you will all get in" Incidentally, Ryanair do an MCC course which is specifically set for you to do an assessment for them. If you want to spend the money it is probably worth it especially if you think you are prepared to take the cadet route with them. Good hunting !

Artie Fufkin
14th Mar 2008, 08:28
I'd say that a JOC (Jet Orientation Course) or an MCC done on a jet / turboprop would be of enormous help, or at the very least you should get an hour or two familiarisation in a jet sim.

Obviously being well up to speed on your IR skills are essential, but if all your capacity is drained getting used to a heavier aircraft, your ability to track an NDB or fly an ILS will be severely diminished.

The pitch / power coupling is much, much stronger on a jet than a light twin and leveling off on a SID at 4000ft when flying a jet sim for the first time is usually a bit of a shock. Not what you want on your sim assessment.

Also, other good prep is to understand that sims can be flown by numbers. Learn any pitch / power settings given to you.

dartagnan
14th Mar 2008, 13:59
pitch?power?setting?

what is that?

guys, you must get a clue as far as i know on the 320..., all this is over. now its open climb pull, managed descend, please push...
engage approach, confirm?runway in sight, a-p off, manual landing, reverse green, decel...

without forgetting the before start down to the line checklist, after start check list, etc...

new words to you? yes it is...

there is 0 flight during the MCC.the fms flies the plane for you, and u manage the flight with your partner.

everything u have learned in your little flying club for all these years, you can forget...totally useless on airbus.
you were taught to make holdings like the king of the sky? well, guess what?, forget about holding procedures, cuz airbus will hold for you.

that's the MCC on the 320..

about the SOP, you will get the sop of the airline, which differ from airlines to airlines.

5 RINGS
14th Mar 2008, 14:36
Paul,

the others guys are right...it will be about your IR skills and your CRM (are you able to ask for help instead of rushing all around the panels to get things done, and are you able to provide help to your sim partner rather just sitting next to him).

SOPs will be explained on the day and will be quite simple, focus on basics, show common sense & airmanship.

Dartagnan,

How did you get on with Lufthansa CityLine?

fantom
14th Mar 2008, 16:08
Quote:

pitch?power?setting?

what is that?

guys, you must get a clue as far as i know on the 320..., all this is over. now its open climb pull, managed descend, please push...
engage approach, confirm?runway in sight, a-p off, manual landing, reverse green, decel...

Unquote.

Sorry, dartagnan; wrong again. Go and read the Unreliable Speed and Severe Turb parts of Vol 3.

Now, about the question.

I have conducted the practice sims and the assessment sims a few times. You should expect a good brief (speeds; power settings; pitch attitudes etc) because you will probably not know the aircraft in use. You are not expected to.
A typical session might be a Standard Instrument Departure followed by ten minutes general handling - steep turns, say - then radar to the ILS for a Go-around. End.

Good luck.

f

G SXTY
15th Mar 2008, 16:21
If you have a sim assessment coming up, I would strongly recommend getting some practice time in the same simulator that you will be assessed on.

I know some airlines aren't keen on this, as they want to see your performance 'from cold' so to speak, but the practice is invaluable for getting a feel for the aircraft and settling your nerves for the big day.