PDA

View Full Version : ATC in the USA

S.N.A.F.U
20th Jun 2000, 03:08
Who would one contact for information about ATC in the USA. I am qualified already and would like information regarding moving to the States permenantly.

Cheers.

Check 6
20th Jun 2000, 21:10
Look under www.faa.gov (http://www.faa.gov) for employment opportunities. You may be "qualified" down under, but not necessarily so in the US. The ATC system, regulations, etc. in the US are very different. The FAA has an excellent academy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

britavia
20th Jun 2000, 23:07
One other problem (in addition to the visa issue) you might have is that some US Government jobs require you to be a US citizen. Mainly those which have security implications attached to them, i.e. DoD, NASA etc. I doubt the FAA comes under that, but then again, you never know. Some airports have dual civil/military use too.

Some towers are contracted out as "Non Federal Control Towers". Sometimes they are paid for by the local City or maybe owned and operated by a third party FAA contractor.
I believe the pay and conditions are often better than regular government paid employees (which isn't that bad either).

Good luck.

S.N.A.F.U
21st Jun 2000, 02:14
Thanks both.

Check 6 - I assumed there would be at least a conversion course, if not full retraining. I was hoping for an exelerated course due previous experience.

Britavia - Do you know if the FAA or other employer would sponsor me for a work visa if I had a job to go to. I don't know much (yet) about the immigration process.

Cheers

britavia
25th Jun 2000, 06:29
SNAFU:

It's possible a private contractor might sponsor for a visa (H1b most likely) but I doubt the FAA would. Hunt around the US Immigration websites a bit to get the feel of the visa situation. It's not easy but can be done.