PDA

View Full Version : Are you the P.A.S.?

Forkandles
11th Mar 2008, 15:16
Could I please point out that there should be a possessive apostrophe in the title of this website? Thank you.

Member of the Protection of the Apostrophe Society.
Not, I hasten to add, the Apostrophe Protection Society. Wankers.

:E

NRU74
11th Mar 2008, 15:37
English is such a flexible language and if 'Pilots' is used in an adjectival sense no apostrophe is required

JustaFew
11th Mar 2008, 15:40
So, is it 'finals' , or 'final's' when close to landing?

Forkandles
11th Mar 2008, 15:42
Nonsense. It should have an apostrophe. I'm never wrong on these matters, trust me.

matt_hooks
11th Mar 2008, 15:45
Just, it shouldn't be either of the options, but final (no s!)

This is because it's a contraction of "final approach". Finals approach just doesn't make any sense. You don't say "downwinds" or "bases" do you?

flowman
11th Mar 2008, 16:16
Forkandles, I don't s'pose you bought any Hears'ay CDs then
(just as well, they were s'hite).

tony draper
11th Mar 2008, 16:34
Why did Jesus have twelve of em?:uhoh:

Whirlygig
11th Mar 2008, 17:29
Forkandles, whilst I appreciate your on-going love affair with the apostrophe, there shouldn't be one in your "location" - the plural of PT is "PTs".

However, it should be Professional Pilots' Rumour Network i.e. the Rumour Network belonging to the pilots. Alternatively, it could be the Professional Pilot's Rumour Network being the Rumour Network belong to the pilot i.e Danny!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Wholigan
11th Mar 2008, 17:42
Or - of course - it could be exactly as it says on the tin. Professional pilots rumour network, that is a rumour network for use by professional pilots and not belonging to them at all.

Forkandles
11th Mar 2008, 17:47
Forkandles, whilst I appreciate your on-going love affair with the apostrophe, there shouldn't be one in your "location" - the plural of PT is "PTs".

Whirls

Whirls, I am a very junior member of the grammar squad and you have, annoyingly, pointed out why I will never get full member status.

Anyway, I only joined the PAS because I hate the APS more than the Romans. Fecking Splitters! :ok: