PDA

View Full Version : I need help.

Leon
18th Jun 2001, 18:19
Hi everybody,
I need help...... I don't know in which country I have to go !
I couldn't pass the 1st class medical examination in Italy due to my vision (I have -4 dioptres in both eyes and the limit for JAA class 1 is -3 dioptres for the first visit), so until things don't change in JAA regulations, I can't fly as a commercial pilot in Europe. So, my question is, since I have to immigrate in another country to work as a pilot, where do I have to go ?
I know that in US things are different for vision requirements, as a matter of fact I already have an FAA class 1 medical. I also know that the only thing I can do in US is flight training for a maximum time of 2 yers under J-1 visa, in fact after that period of time one has to come back home, and in my case I would have all the FAA ratings without the possibility to convert them in JAA licenses and work in my home country.
Remaining in the US would be impossible since I do not have a green card and nobody will sponsor you for a work visa for a job as a pilot.
The other possibility would be to go to Australia, there the vision requirements are the same than in US, and the possibility to immigrate under the 'skilled worker program' for a pilot is greater.
Now, what should I have to do ? Should I have to go to US for flight training for 2 years, look how things go (maybe I could win the GreenCard lottery....) and then immigrate to Australia and spend more money for the conversion of the licences, or should I have to go directly to Australia for flight training ?
The positive aspect of flight training in US is that I would be able to accumulate a lot of hours as flight instructor in one of the schools that sponsor you for the J-1 visa(maybe in two years I would be able to accumulate 1500 hours and get the ATPL, thing that will simplify the conversion process in Australia).
The thing that stops me from going directly to Australia is that I still couldn't find a
flight school that allows you to train and then work as instructor to log some hours as
happens for flight schools that sponsor you for the J-1 in US (tell me the name if you know one that let you work as an instructor in Australia!).
Could anyone help me ?
Is there anyone in the same situation ?
Or better, is there anyone that faced up the same situation in the past and could give me some advice ?
I would appreciate any suggestions !
Thanks a lot,
Leo.

alibaba
20th Jun 2001, 20:38
Leo you have the same problem I had last year. I couldn't get my JAR class 1 either. My situation was on the hearing side though. I went for my medical in 09/99 and I had a hearingt loss on two frequencies of about 35dB. So they said they wouldn't give me a Class 1 on a Initial. It's a bummer because the old rules were 35-50dB, and the new rules came into effect on 07/99.
The problem is Holland and Germany! Other authorities don't want the new rules. You only have to look at France for that.

My advice is to speak to your parlimentry representitive. It won't change things in the imediate future but it will but pressure on the Italian aviation Authority to push for the old rules to be reinstated, which by the sound of things is what you need.

The question is, should I take the risk and go to America? How much do you want to fly? These are the questions that I had to answer. My advice is to go for it! I had a bad experience with a flight school. They said I had a job flying Jetstream 31's as a F/O. It didn't really happen. I got a little bit of C208B time, which isn't that valuable. The J1 way is the best way though. You don't know what the future will hold. There are plenty of jobs around at the moment so if you have the hours you will be marketable to someone. Australia isn't a good option for you, thats what I think anyway, the just isn't alot of jobs out there. I know of a flight school in Texas that offers J1 visas who have just been taken over by Oxford Air Training School(OATS). Now OATS train BA'S and British Midlands pilots. So make of it what you will but they have a good reputation. They deal with American Eagle alot aswell. They are called Tyler Aviation, out of Tyler in Texas. I could give you a contact number and someone to speak to if you wanted? Anyway i'm off now so best of look to you and I hope to speak to you soon! Alan(alibaba).

Leon
20th Jun 2001, 20:53
Thanks for your help !
I'm alredy considering Tyler as one possible choice....maybe in 2 years JARs could change.....

Leon
20th Jun 2001, 21:05
Ouch! By the way, which is the school you've been ? Just to avoid it !
Feel free to e-mail me if you prefear.

Thanks again !

alibaba
21st Jun 2001, 05:38
I don't want to tell you really. The walls have ears and all that.
The thing is it wasn't the school, it was just the guy that owned it. The instructors there were absolutley first class, and a few of my friends who are flying for Cathay, Gulf Air and British Midland can voutch for that. All I will say is make sure you do your reaserch. For a flight school to be J1 approved is a good indication on the quality of the flight school. Sometimes though no matter how much research you do you can never be quite sure. I pumped in nearlly $25,000 and only got FAA commercial out of it. No matter what you do in life you will get these type of people.
On the J1 schools though they have to make there accounts open to Government inspection aswell as a few other things to do with immigration and all that. The thing is they are heavlly veted. Thats why there are not so many J1 approved schools in the U.S.
Anyway Leo this is a contact number for Tyler: Us+903-592-1291. Ask to speak with Victor Veltze(spelling unkown!) on extension 103. I've spoken to him a few times as I am looking to possibly do my CFI out there, and he seems like a nice guy.
And don't get down. Your Gole is to be able to fly at home. From what i've heard from the minions at the CAA is that JAR med ops are changing in the next few years back to the way they were, or more similar anyway. So it something to keep on going for. You just need hours that is the main thing. Geting that flight time. It's the hardest thing to get at the start. After that the rest will start to fall into place.