PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat Policy

junstrike
1st Jun 2000, 10:44
Can foreign airline pilots jumpseat on U.S. air carriers?

britavia
1st Jun 2000, 20:59
The problem is most commercial operators here usually have jumpseat agreements with other operators, so their own personel can move about easily. This is normally on a reciprical basis.

It may be possible to do however. I have heard of Private Pilots getting in on the deck. You would certainly have to qualify as aircrew (hold preferable an FAA licence) as the FAA rule nobody allowed on the flight deck (during flight) who isn't a crewmember. It would also help if you are currently employed by an airline (company ID).

junstrike
2nd Jun 2000, 04:01
Thanks!

invalid entry
2nd Jun 2000, 14:35
Hi,
As a European airline pilot myself I regularly jumpseat on the US Carriers. US Airways and SouthWest being the most hospitable, but AAEagle are wonderful too. Others seem to depend on whether you can get to talk with the captain or not.
Good luck

junstrike
4th Jun 2000, 12:23
Thanks too, IE!

BelowTheLine
9th Jun 2000, 05:34
I heard something about a list of pilots not permitted to ride on the jumpseat. Something about strikebreakers 15 years ago or something. Can you keep these people off of the jumpseat or just on (B)ALPA airlines?

Ignition Override
14th Jun 2000, 08:51
The FAA legally "owns" jumpseats in the US, according to an Asst. Chief Pilot, and my company allows a number of domestic and foreign airline pilots to ride on the jumpseat. The approved list is in our Flight Ops Manual. A pilot shows us the small form which is signed/available at our departure gates, along with his/her company ID card and pilot license. Regarding the previous question-do Captains for airlines outside of the US not have the authority to refuse the jumpseat privilege to a scab or anyone else? By the way, US scabs' names are kept on permanent lists in the US. We have about seven former Eastern scabs at my US company, and if I recognize their names or those of the Continental "strike-breakers" etc, they will NOT jumpseat on my plane. They commited very selfish acts (only in it to help themselves) during strikes, too impatient to wait for a 'real' interview, and knew that they were hurting their profession.

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 14 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 14 June 2000).]