PDA

View Full Version : GA in NY

Wrong Stuff
9th Jan 2002, 01:22
Just come over from my usual haunt in the Private Flying forum to pick your collective brains.

I may have a chance to be sent to work in NY for a few months. Six months ago it may also have been a great opportunity to get some cheap flying done. In the aftermath of 9/11 it's probably rather more difficult.

I'd ideally like to do some VFR solo and perhaps train for an FAA IR. What are the nearest airports (probably to mid-town) where that's still possible? Any idea how easy they are to get to without a car of your own?

Wrong Stuff
11th Jan 2002, 19:51
Surely somebody knows the answer to this one??? Or at least could point me to somewhere that would be able to help???

Speedbird48
13th Jan 2002, 13:59
There are several GA places around the area but wheels are needed. The bus/train system is not as in the UK but you won't have to drive far.
Teterboro comes to mind but is very busy. Long Island has American Flyers at Islip for your IR and there are probably others that are cheaper. There are also several fields on the NJ side.
Not very precise I know, but a start.

Matthewjharvey
13th Jan 2002, 22:41
No where really close to the city center. Teterboro is not worth the hassle, White Plains is a possibility - try Panorama, they have a fleet of new 172's, Morristown New Jersey has several schools and is a good bet. Further afield at Islip as mentioned there are several schools as well.
Going into Connecticut there are 2 or 3 nice schools at Danbury (about 60 miles North of NYC) and also at Bridgeport - 3 wings aviation amongst them. I can supply more details if you want.

Wrong Stuff
14th Jan 2002, 11:55
Many thanks for those suggestions - gives me a place to start looking.

Cheers
Wrong Stuff