PDA

View Full Version : ferry job

Hotel Siera
22nd Nov 2000, 02:48
I am interested in doing ferry flight especially those transoceanic one. Can anyone point me in to the right direction here? Who to contact and what are the requirement? Right now i have a PPL IR and will be getting CPL in a few weeks

Bear Cub
23rd Nov 2000, 08:35
I'm not convinced that there will be anything to deliver from East to West over the Atlantic.

West to east you will probably need an FAA commercial licence.

You will also probably need to have already done the flight before. Rumour has it that the Canadians will not let you leave their airspace en-route for Greenland unless you have previous route experience (could be wrong, but I've heard it before).

Next problem is insurance. Without some experience on the aircraft type (not just a check out) and on the route...who do you expect will insure you to fly it?

<<<edit from here>>>

Forgive me, I've just looked at your profile...it will be an FAA licence - but it still won't work without route experience.... and to be honest, I would expect that a brand new FAA Commercial will not help matters.

Sorry if you think I'm being mean.

[This message has been edited by Bear Cub (edited 23 November 2000).]

rick1128
23rd Nov 2000, 19:40
Having done several transoceanic ferry trips, I would say Bear Cub is correct. The Insurance companies set some high standards. And you have to be knowledgable about the aircraft you are flying. Also you have to be able to think outside the lines. On transoceanic flight you do not have many options if you have problems.

Richard

NIMBUS
24th Nov 2000, 07:09
Hotel Sierra,
I was interested in the same thing, but was told to try again when I had a few thousand more hours under my belt.
Most of the guys doing it are ATP rated, retired airline pilots with lots of time!
My FAA CPL and 700+hrs makes me a raw beginner!

Check-in
24th Nov 2000, 15:50
Sometimes they need 'meat in the seat' where the type requires a co pilot. Not necessary to have a type rating as long as you have received some familiarisation on the type. That usually consists of sitting in the cockpit long enough to find the radio master switch, which is all you will be allowed to operate. Also, yes, you will need FAA CPL or a validation allowing you to fly FAA rego aircraft for hire or reward outside the USA. Reason they don't allow you to fly for hire or reward inside the USA is to appease the immigration people and pilot unions. A PPL of any description won't cut it, due to all sorts of legal implications, even if you are only likely to get expenses on the first few trips. Don't even think about doing solo ferry time until you have seen a bit of it, as done by the cowboys and pros (both survive this industry, but few forever).
Try Southern Cross Aviation in Camarillo, California, if you are serious. Peter Dickens or Peter Frasier.

Hotel Siera
25th Nov 2000, 11:21
Thanks all for the information. I guess i will try to buiild my hours some other way

BJBATMAN
29th Nov 2000, 07:10
If you are flexible there can be alot of ferry jobs in the states that don't go over water. If you can make your self available to a few aircraft dealers they can give you a few jobs now and then flying GA Airplanes between buyers and sellers.

JJflyer
2nd Dec 2000, 11:31
After about 80 or so crossings ( both ponds)
I highly recommend another type of hour building method.
Ferrying airplanes is interestimg and demanding but it is also very dangerous.
In the last 2 years I have lost several friends in accidents related in this type of flying. I am talking about oceanic ops especially.

JJ