PDA

View Full Version : Interesting link !!!

BLEED-AIR
10th Mar 2008, 21:47
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/sets/72157604077257226/detail/

Land Grab Anyone :)

L'aviateur
10th Mar 2008, 22:42
Where abouts is it? That is really strange.

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 22:54
Probably the Black Death,lots of villages were abandoned during the Black Death.
Not many peeps realise what a good thing the Black Death was,it re-energised a static stagnant feudal economy where all the land and wealth had been accumulated into fewer and fewer hands,the plague claimed the great and the good with the same enthusiasm it gathered up the peasantry,and poor village blacksmiths and the like found themselves the laird of the manner because they were the sole surviver of a family through a very distant blood line, and agricultural workers who before had slaved for a bag of potatos to feed their family could now actually charge money for their services.
Hows that for erudite thread Hijack
There is however one glaring deliberate mistake in the above,what is it??
:rolleyes:

eticket
10th Mar 2008, 23:00
Easy mistake to make Mr D.

lomapaseo
10th Mar 2008, 23:01
Ah Ha

The Eagle Has Landed

eticket
10th Mar 2008, 23:14
My understanding is that the locals were given just one month to get out.

Edit: Total and utter tosh eticket you got totally the wrong village with this suggestion.

matt_hooks
10th Mar 2008, 23:26
I think I spotted the mistake Herr Drapes, should there not be an apostrophe in blacksmiths?

tony draper
10th Mar 2008, 23:26
Its not a unique situation the Laird probably wants to create one of those vast landscape gardens and the village is in the way,I would prolly do the same were I the Laird.
On the other hand they could be planning a second runway at the Leeds and Bradford Aerodrome.

Tolsti
10th Mar 2008, 23:54
You spelled survivor the yank way Mr D

tony draper
11th Mar 2008, 00:05
Hmmm, a dammed poor showing for p rooers, there were no potatos in England in 1347.
:=
They hadn't been invented yet.

MadsDad
11th Mar 2008, 00:16
Pic 9 says What could possibly have happened here to make everyone leave in such a hurry?

Someone shouted 'Cut, that's a wrap'?

con-pilot
11th Mar 2008, 00:30
They hadn't been invented yet.

They had been in the Americas. :p

I am use to seeing abounded towns in Oklahoma in rural areas and in other western states, however, to see one in England does surprise me.

L'aviateur
11th Mar 2008, 00:40
So does anyone know where this is and what the story is?

Paradise Lost
11th Mar 2008, 00:43
I believe said hamlet is in the Sedgefield ward, and now TB has offed and gorn, the natives absconded in a fit of depression,...... or maybe they heard that his successor was coming to live there?:{

tony draper
11th Mar 2008, 00:50
Err Sedgefield is not in Yorkshire,
Prolly the village they built to film that Emerdale Farm in.

eticket
11th Mar 2008, 01:54
Apologies for my earlier post the village that I thought it was it turned out not to be. However to make amends here is a thread from a forum on Secret Leeds. One of the posters a few days ago happens to be the photographer in question. Coincidence?

http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=953

The ecclesiastical parish of Adel used to be Adel cum Eccup and Eccup was much bigger in the 1930s than it is nowI hope I am closer with this offering.

sprocket
11th Mar 2008, 11:03
Everone has just popped down to the shops.

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p215100-Bangkok-Car_Park.jpg

pineridge
11th Mar 2008, 12:28
Looks like Leeming Bar in the rush-hour.

blue up
11th Mar 2008, 16:20
Is is a shoot-em-up training village for the Pongos? Trees look well trimmed, signs look modern enough and the streelamps are certainly post Black Death.

Maybe everyone got given an ASBO and had to leave town.

stevef
13th Mar 2008, 09:21
Tis the Eastmoor Secure Unit, near Leeds. (Near Adel as e-ticket indicated.)
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12776