PDA

View Full Version : NY Governor linked to prostitution ring

rotornut
10th Mar 2008, 19:53
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/nyregion/10cnd-spitzer.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Noah Zark.
11th Mar 2008, 00:50
He did not address his political future.

Has he still got one?

PA-28-180
11th Mar 2008, 00:55
SURE he does! After all, politicians are prostitutes too, right!:}
P.S. I wonder if he got a discount as a 'fellow professional'?:E

ihoharv
11th Mar 2008, 01:06
Since our 42nd President got caught mulling over the definition of what "is" is, it's the Republicans that have been consistently caught with their pants down, fiddling with congressional page boys, "foot tapping" away, etc.

Guess the Dems have realized they only have just over 6-months to screw up the election - better get cracking!

Nice work, Gov. Spitzer.

airship
11th Mar 2008, 01:09
What I found more striking was this BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7288540.stm): More than 50 prostitutes were employed by the ring, charging fees ranging from $1,000 to more than $5,500 an hour, prosecutors said last week. That's way above minimum wage, I wonder what the average state employee is paid in NY state - they might be getting screwed without knowing it?!

So long as Mrs. Governor forgives him and the miss was paid for from personal funds and not charged as expenses to a state-provided credit card or worse perhaps, by some business associate, I have no problem with it.

I guess if those girls charge $1-5,500 an hour, they must really be gorgeous, extremely-skilled, perhaps an ex. Ms. something or rather state. Does anyone know if 1 hour is the minimum charge, because I think I'd be OK with just 10 minutes or less...?! :}

rotornut
11th Mar 2008, 12:56
Right now they are getting a lot of mileage out of this on American TV. Apparently Spitzer was very aggressive in cracking down on prostitution and other morality offences.

Tigs2
11th Mar 2008, 13:47
airship

because I think I'd be OK with just 10 minutes or less...?!

and 9 of those would be cleaning up:}

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 14:10
So long as Mrs. Governor forgives him and the miss was paid for from personal funds and not charged as expenses to a state-provided credit card or worse perhaps, by some business associate, I have no problem with it.

Precisely. Nobody's business unless taxpayers were funding it.

What is it about supposedly open minded Americans that insists upon political candidates being asexual beings? There is a monumental prudish streak pervading American society and it's not limited to the religious right.

barit1
11th Mar 2008, 14:34
Don Beaudreax thinks so too. (http://cafehayek.typepad.com/hayek/2008/03/the-spitzer-mat.html) :}

Dushan
11th Mar 2008, 15:04
Binos:
What is it about supposedly open minded Americans that insists upon political candidates being asexual beings? There is a monumental prudish streak pervading American society and it's not limited to the religious right.

Prostitution is illegal in NY State. A politician (a Governor, yet) engaging in an illegal activity can't be a good thing, can it?
Plain and simple.

pigboat
11th Mar 2008, 15:08
From Mark Steyn at the National Revew:

Boy meets girl meets Mann [Mark Steyn]

Re that "consenting adults", nobody's business but theirs, etc, Andrew, don't forget he arranged a tryst in DC with a hooker from NY:

The governor's alleged conduct may have violated the Mann Act, which forbids the transportation of prostitutes across state lines for the purposes of sex.
Mr. Spitzer's role in procuring the train ticket could tempt any of the several federal prosecutors based between New York and Washington to try to charge the governor with conspiring to violate the Mann Act. The law, from 1910, was also known as the "White-slave traffic act," and is rarely used anymore.

"If they indicted him some place for that, that's a disgrace," a prominent defense attorney, Edward Hayes, who is not connected to the case, said. "For what, paying for the train ticket? Come on, leave the guy alone."

Yeah, but this guy never left anyone alone and contributed mightily to one of the worst trends in American justice: the metastasization of narrowly drawn laws into all-purpose blunt instruments. My friend Conrad Black, charged with "racketeering", and convicted of "obstruction of justice" by a law hitherto only used extra-territorially for witness-tampering, is merely one of the more prominent victims of the Spitzerization of federal prosecution. Almost every white-collar federal offense - wire fraud, mail fraud - boils down to "paying for the train ticket".

Spitzer appears to have had no compunction against using obscure laws to further his own ends. He should not be surprised if one of those obscure laws now comes round to bite his ass.

Tigs2
11th Mar 2008, 15:13
Pleeeease lets not turn this in to a yank/European bashing thread:ugh::ugh:

airship
11th Mar 2008, 15:42
It isn't a yank-bashing thread (yet)...

This is more about the moral right of anyone (Americans included) to xxxx or be xxxxxx provided it's consensual?! Laws of man, laws of nature - therein lies the conflict... :(

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 15:48
Prostitution is illegal in NY State. A politician (a Governor, yet) engaging in an illegal activity can't be a good thing, can it?
Plain and simple.

The truth, as someone much wiser than I once said, is rarely plain and never simple.

Tell me, Dushan, is the transgression of traffic offences in NY State considered so plain and simple as to disqualify somebody from political office? Or is this going to develop into an argument about the difference between a felony and whatever else you choose to describe a miscreant act?

I repeat, if you insist on imposing your puritan ideals on every aspirant to political office you are going to finish up with candidates with no idea about anything, and who will finally be shown to have feet of clay anyway.

Evangelists, anyone?

Dushan
11th Mar 2008, 16:49
Tell me, Dushan, is the transgression of traffic offences in NY State considered so plain and simple as to disqualify somebody from political office?

Short answer - YES. You break the law, you can't hold office. As for the question of felony vs. misdemeanor you can make some allowances, but personally I think you should not.

I personally think that many things outlawed should not be. Prostitution, speeding come to mind, but as long as they are we have to expect our politicians to obey them and uphold them. They may be bad laws, but they are laws. Until they are changed, legislationally, they have to be obeyed and respected.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Mar 2008, 16:57
Personally I'm so cheap I wouldn't even pay a plumber that much to remodel my bathroom :=

Three years into the project and it's still nowhere near done.

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 17:02
At least you have the balls to state your position, impossible though it may be.

I wish you luck in your quest for political candidates who meet your stringent moral standards. It appears from your stated opinions that they can come only from the right wing.

Wader2
11th Mar 2008, 17:03
This guy perhaps?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317450

prbehling
11th Mar 2008, 17:06
No Way in Hell........... What a Idiot......... It couldn't happen to a better guy......Politics in America, is the scum of the earth. It time for a Revolution..

flowman
11th Mar 2008, 17:09
Would you pay $5,000 for a night with a prostitute?

You would have to think about it if it was Finland in late November!:E

matt_hooks
11th Mar 2008, 17:11
$5000, I'm assuming US?

That's £2500 in real money.

Now, I COULD spend that on a prostitute.

Alternatively I could go flying for 25 hours.

Now let me think......

Hand me that headset, we're goin flying! (Far less likely to catch some nasty disease that way! ;) )

prbehling
11th Mar 2008, 17:13
Flying is a bigger high.........

The AvgasDinosaur
11th Mar 2008, 17:14
I want to know what you get for $5,000 per hour ?
How much is a Gulfstream to hire?
Be lucky
David

West Coast
11th Mar 2008, 17:16
The guv is going down over this...err wait...bad choice of words.

The truth, as someone much wiser than I once said, is rarely plain and never simple.

Sometimes it is, with no need to muddy the waters. I honestly don't give a hoot about the hypocrisy involved. I'll leave the morality of this particular case to the Guv, his wife and their three teenage daughters. If it went to a vote I'd likely vote to legalize prostitution much in the way certain counties in Nevada have. Until that happens it remains against the law. As his mea culpa would leave you to believe, he dived on in and thus he should be subject to the same laws you and I would.

Evangelists, anyone?

Bino's, I put my church attendance below yours. I'd also put my attendance to gentleman's club above many. I cuss like a sailor. I've been known to drink, especially if there's tequila involved. This isn't about puritan values. It's about the law. If there's any shades of gray involved, its an ability to see the difference.

I honestly don't know, is Prostitution legal in Australia?

Capt.Grumpy
11th Mar 2008, 17:22
is Prostitution legal in Australia?

Sure is :E

Binoculars
11th Mar 2008, 17:31
Not universally, but increasingly so. Legal brothels are are common features in some states including my own. I don't claim to speak for others.

I also claim no high ground in these matters. If your church attendance is below mine it plumbs negative areas. I drink more than 98% of Ppruners and don't apologise for it. I don't believe that disqualifies me from making reasonable decisions on all sorts of things, including the aero club of which I am president. In short, I am a normal guy like you, and I have never claimed a personal higher ground against you or anybody else.

In weak moments I will be found admitting that I would like to meet most of those with whom I engage in good debates.

Our chief difference in this particular argument is that you seem to regard the rule of law as absolute. To which I can only respond by asking how you are going to elect a fault-free president? Do they all have to claim they didn't inhale?

West Coast
11th Mar 2008, 18:16
Our chief difference in this particular argument is that you seem to regard the rule of law as absolute.

I'm not sure what answer you're looking for, and what standard you expect. Do I want a politician who thinks he (or she) is above the law? No absolutely not. If Spitzer went to Vegas and laid the pipe to an equally expensive lady of the night at a legal cathouse, it would be a private issue if the press found out.

To which I can only respond by asking how you are going to elect a fault-free president

No expectation of such as we're all human. I do however hold elected officials to a high standard. There's elected officials out there doing their job quietly, but doesn't make the news. It's just like flying a plane with passengers in the back. I may be a goof when I'm at home, but once I sit in the seat I recognize I have to hold myself to a higher standard for that period of time.

Your above quote makes me wonder, where do you draw the line?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Mar 2008, 20:37
If Spitzer went to Vegas and laid the pipe to an equally expensive lady of the night at a legal cathouse, it would be a private issue if the press found out.
what if ... he went to Amsterdam and smoked somethiing that was legal there, but when he came home, took and failed a drug test - even though he was 'sober' at the time?

pigboat
11th Mar 2008, 21:09
Spitzer was a Federal? prosecutor before he became Governor. He held others to the letter of the law, no matter how obscure or asinine the laws were. Why should he not be held to the same standard?

Rough Driver
11th Mar 2008, 21:51
Get the detail;

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0306082emperor1.html

:):):)

barit1
11th Mar 2008, 22:16
Methinks this phrase (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hoist%20by%20your%20own%20petard.html) fits so perfectly. :ok:

Dushan
11th Mar 2008, 22:21
Binos:
It appears from your stated opinions that they can come only from the right wing.

And you say this as if it were a bad thing...

Two's in
11th Mar 2008, 23:35
Barit1 beat me to it with Petard hoisting, but as for the purity of elected officials, Spitzer was impersonating the Spanish Inquisition as the New York DA and then got elected Governor, while allegedly at the same time playing "Mr Wibbly Wobbly hides his helmet" and "Hunt the Salami" with some hot-assed hooker.

To be bad, and then see the error of your ways and repent is a vote-grabber in the States, to play the moral card while all the time you were bonking some high class bimbo does not endear you to to the public.

He also puts his wife in the position of either being that bad at sex he had to get it elsewhere, or that good at it he needed to get more! Neither of them true I'm sure, but that's the rap she will get off men everywhere, thanks to her 'Loving" husband.

To quote a less sympathetic source;

"Nice family you have there Governor - any of the girls up for it?"

Wino
11th Mar 2008, 23:45
Is it too early to start hitting on Ms. Spitzer?

Shamelessly stolen, I admit, but funny none the less.

Cheers
Wino

BOFH
12th Mar 2008, 00:11
Mrs Spitzer appears quite fetching, if a little out of my age bracket. However, as the agency wasn't of a 'special' nature, the natural assumption must be that she just wasn't putting out anymore, or at least not enough to exhaust her husband before he went to Washington.

I shall mention this to Mrs BOFH before my next business trip, just in passing.

BOFH

brickhistory
12th Mar 2008, 01:16
Spitzer broke the law both state and federal (interstate prostitution or whatever the legal term is).

Regardless of it's a stupid law or not, he, elected by the citizens of New York to uphold and enforce the law, knowingly broke it.

If he had done such a thing in his past, maybe he could survive it, but to commit the offense, regardless of the act, ummm, trangression, while serving in office is unforgivable and an impeachable offense. Sound vaguely familiar?

Break the law while in office, face the consequences.

Say g'night, Gracie..................................

galaxy flyer
12th Mar 2008, 01:34
Spitzer's wife name is Silda. Interesting, it is her parent's shortening of a German word, that she says means, Teutonic War Maiden. Any bets on how the divorce goes!! She is also a high powered attorney!!!

Kristin is likely pretty cheap in comparison.

GF

Info from NYTimes.com

con-pilot
12th Mar 2008, 02:12
I bet the wife is more annoyed over all the money he spent on the high priced hookers than anything else. However, somehow I truly believe she will make him pay for it. :p

broadreach
12th Mar 2008, 02:51
Wall Street is probably preparing a ticker-tape parade now.

I have no problem with the concept of legalizing prostitution - make it a hell of a lot safer. Nor am I knee-jerk cynical about politicians. But I've always been wary of the holier-than-thous and Mr Spitzer slotted into the Uh-oh profile the day he came on the scene.

It's the contrast between his ratcheting up his Mr Clean DA reputation by busting a $250 a shot ring in Staten Island, and paying 15-20 times as much for the same services; working so hard to promote corporate transparency, then paying for the services through a shell company! Astonishing stupidity.

barit1
12th Mar 2008, 03:19
Pigboat in post #11 puts it as well as anyone could. Whether you are tolerant of Spitzer's "private matter" behavior or not, it is his incredible hypocrisy, duplicity and arrogance that labels him a fraud. :ouch:

Incredibly, a holier-than-thou Jimmy Swaggart (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/21/newsid_2565000/2565197.stm), 20 years ago in a like circumstance, was able to grovel low enough to retain some of his flock. :=

Some years ago the favorite bumpersticker was "Teddy Kennedy For Lifeguard". We now have a new subject for this popular medium. :cool:

West Coast
12th Mar 2008, 05:41
Is it too early to start hitting on Ms. Spitzer?

Forget her, I'm leaning toward the ex wife of former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey. The press has trotted her out a number of times today to get the jilted wife perspective.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3105259&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

hellsbrink
12th Mar 2008, 07:37
The bottom line is that he broke a Federal law (the Mann Act, originally meant to prevent white slavery). Under that obscure law, anyone who's INTENT is to move a hooker across state lines, never mind actually doing so, commits a felony worth a hefty fine and/or up to 10 years in the chokey.

So, the case is pretty clear cut. He did it, probably repeatedly. What has made it sweeter to many is the fact that he has been rather harsh when it comes to penalising hookers and indeed had the nerve to be screaming about how Wall Street was "immoral" and steps were needed to "clean Wall Street up".

Dunno about you, but it looks to me like there is the biggest flock of Corvus brachyrhynchos ever seen on their way home.

rotornut
12th Mar 2008, 16:31
11:29 a.m. - Spitzer is going to be late for his news conference because he's stuck in traffic in NY. They are following him in a helicopter on CNN.

Dushan
12th Mar 2008, 16:39
Wonder if Martha Stewart is watching....

Ozzy
12th Mar 2008, 16:48
what if ... he went to Amsterdam and smoked somethiing that was legal there, but when he came home, took and failed a drug test

Wouldn't he just claim he didn't inhale;)

Ozzy

Dushan
12th Mar 2008, 16:54
what if ... he went to Amsterdam and smoked somethiing that was legal there, but when he came home, took and failed a drug test

He would have to make sure that he is in compliance with the law in the jurisdiction he is in.

It is perfectly legal to drink alcohol beyond 0.08%, and walk home. The moment you start to drive in that condition you are breaking the law.

Capot
12th Mar 2008, 16:57
These damned Yanks, always bigger and better, faster and straighter, every time they come out on top.

NY Gov, debauched hell-raiser who'll go straight to the fire after an enjoyable life of schmoozing tarts or whatever his crime is. Now there goes someone who knows what he wnats and gets it. It's the American Way.

And we get,

Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London, newt fancier.

rotornut
12th Mar 2008, 17:02
At least he picked a looker;)

Dushan
12th Mar 2008, 17:09

Surely, you don't mean this:

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t026/T026008A.jsm

Curious Pax
12th Mar 2008, 17:10

and whisky fancier if Private Eye's increasingly unsubtle insinuations are anything to go by.....

galaxy flyer
12th Mar 2008, 21:43
C-P:

$80K for Spitzer is pocket change-Dad made millions and millions in real estate. One small scandal, and look at his astounding nerve, was he insisted in living in NYC because Albany was too provincial.

He's gone, thank Goodness. A truly scary man to whom government power was given for 9+ years.

GF

Atlas Shrugged
13th Mar 2008, 00:14
Didn't Clinton make this sort of thing legal for politicians ;);)

larssnowpharter
13th Mar 2008, 05:00
it is his incredible hypocrisy, duplicity and arrogance that labels him a fraud

He is a politician.

What the **** did you expect?

rotornut
13th Mar 2008, 12:25
The corks were popping on Wall Street after his announcement.

PanPanYourself
13th Mar 2008, 12:43
This pointless nonsense has been all over CNN for the past few days, and I honestly can't remember the last time any single story got this much coverage.

Enough already, nobody gives a sh1t!! :mad: :ugh:

And shame on all of you, don't you have anthing more important to discuss?

rotornut
13th Mar 2008, 12:47
Here she is: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/13/spitzer.kristen/index.html

barit1
13th Mar 2008, 14:12
From the local rag, oft decried as a second-class newspaper:

NBC's Today Show never mentioned Spitzer's party during 11 segments about him on its Tuesday broadcast, according to Media Research Center, which tracks media bias. Neither ABC's nor NBC's evening newscasts Tuesday identified him as a Democrat, but put the party tag on Republicans responding to the scandal.

The New York Times' story online Wednesday, for example, identified Spitzer as a Democrat in the 17th paragraph. The Associated Press story that appeared on the Enquirer's Web site buried it in the 18th paragraph.

Contrast that with recent stories about Republican Sen. Sen. Larry Craig, whose lawyers are trying to invalidate his guilty plea for soliciting sex in a Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport men's room last year. The Associated Press noted Craig's political party in the first paragraph of its story, as did the Washington Post. CNN had it in the second paragraph, as did the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The same with Republican Sen. David Vitter in last summer's reports that his phone number was on the "D.C. Madam's" list.

In a negative story about a politician, a Republican's party affiliation gets far greater prominence than a Democrat's. In other words, a news judgment is made that party affiliation is relevant when a Republican is involved in a scandal.

Any allusions (or delusions) about media impartiality and fairness would seen devoid of reality.

Ozzy
13th Mar 2008, 14:19
Enough already, nobody gives a sh1t!! I think Silda might disagree with you on that sweeping assessment!

Ozzy

hellsbrink
13th Mar 2008, 14:27
and whisky fancier if Private Eye's increasingly unsubtle insinuations are anything to go by

What insinuations, curious pax? He admitted, publically, that he has wee dram for breakfast "to help him breathe easier"....

Binoculars
13th Mar 2008, 16:32
Enough already, nobody gives a sh1t!!

Seems pretty clear to me that lots of people do, much as it may get up your nose, PPY.

Love the quote from the lady in question on her website (who would have been reading her website before last week? :confused:)

But, I survived, on my own. I am here, in NY because of my music.

Well, if you say so, you sweet thing. I'm sure it's your music that has paid for your ninth story Manhattan apartment. :hmm:

BenThere
13th Mar 2008, 16:50
I think, barit1, a reason why the Times, Post et al. put Republican affiliation at the top of any misdeed story is that it is more newsworthy.

We've come to expect deceit, corruption and hypocrisy from Democrats. When Republicans behave like Democrats, journalists take note.

pigboat
13th Mar 2008, 16:55
Well, if you say so, you sweet thing. I'm sure it's your music that has paid for your ninth story Manhattan apartment.

Probably her virtuosity on the skin flute.

Binoculars
13th Mar 2008, 16:59
Usually referred to in this neck of the woods as the blue-veined piccolo Piggy, but if you have a flute, I bow before you.

BenThere, that last effort was well below your best. You seem to be a bit out of form recently?

CR2
13th Mar 2008, 17:34
One of the jokes over here is that he thought Bill Clinton had legalized such behavior years ago...

:8

BenThere
13th Mar 2008, 18:35
Not much of an effort, I'll concede, Binos, but I think there's some truth to it, unless you have a better explanation, or can convince me otherwise.

Thanks for your concern, though. I have been going through a bit of writer's block lately, and haven't been lugging the laptop on the road. I need your inspiration!

Cheers,

Pugilistic Animus
13th Mar 2008, 18:37
I'm a democrat but not 'bleeding heart'-trust me:E' but I don't follow the Party line at all times--- this isn't a communist country---I never thought much of Spitzer - but the only thing I'm mad about is that possibly my tax money went to his sexual enjoyment and not mine as far as who/ what people are Screwing I really don't care as long as I don't pay that's my problem!

--all pols are corrupt useless hand-waving douche bags--who don't have the real ability to change anything anyways, but some do make my life a little better--

And I am honestly happy to see NY's first African American governor:ok:

In case anyone wants to say I'm racist or why do I care about race?--well I don't ---I have green eyes and light/tan skin but
I'm Black ['Southern' and Caribbean] and Puerto Rican with a strong Cherokee Indian and Anglo [German and Scottish--from those days] so don't go there!

Low Flier
13th Mar 2008, 22:11
So, the "5 diamond" tarts charge $31,000 per day.

Heather Mills will be thinking: "that's cheap".

bugg smasher
14th Mar 2008, 02:27
Speaking of petard hoisting (with apologies to Will, Hamlet, and Denmark), seems to me a lot of Brits and Oz boys here complaining of lax, or apparently so, Yankee moral standards.

Can someone point me to the websites that detail the Australian gay dalliances of the highest elected officials (good in ya’ mate!), or perhaps the wives of Canadian prime ministers that consort, in a sausage kind of way eh, with famous rock stars?

Please gents, we really didn’t inhale, we just smoked, OK?

Spitzer has been shafted on his very own pike, justice served perhaps. We can now expect his replacement, an appeaser by all accounts, to re-establish the personal financial agendas of the Wall Street cronies, aka the Gangs of New York.

Congrats middle America, we’re [email protected], again.

barit1
14th Mar 2008, 02:44
I guess I really don't see why so many yanks view Wall Street as "us vs them". Most Americans have pension plans invested in Wall St., and as the market goes, so goes their pension.

bugg smasher
14th Mar 2008, 04:07
The manipulation of public assets by senior company officials for personal financial gain is at the forefront of current financial news, and has been so for some time. Perhaps you are uninformed.

By all accounts, the internet, and the financial press, have provided us with more immediacy than said officials are comfortable with.

Am I being glib, or are you just obtuse?

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 07:38
Well, bugg smasher, methinks you could be wrong about your interpretation of Uk and Oz people somehow "complaining of lax, or apparently so, Yankee moral standards".

I can't speak for everyone, but generally, when a politico gets caught with his pants down in this manner we just laugh at him. When, however, he has been taking the moral high ground against others (his clamping down on prostitution and his comments about Wall Street, for example) whilst his own "morals" are somewhere below the sewer, then, rightly, he gets a "verbal" kicking for being a bloody hypocrite.

Just look at the way people here treat UK politicians, Spitzer is being treated as fairly as they are.

nomorecatering
14th Mar 2008, 09:00
FBI agents, wire taps, covert investions, seriouc crime agencies, piloce etc etc etc.

All because some guy paid a girl for a ROOT.

Sure, its ok to get shitfaced in a bar, and pull a chick and bed her. But offer money for sex, OMG, call in the sorm trropers, major felony in action.

Is prostitution in America Illegal per se? It seems that because a few religious right just dont like the idea of it, they outlaw it and make it a magor crime.Sit you would thing that drug running and armed robberies are not as serious crimes judging from the resources thrown at this case.

Good old USA...........DUMBER and DUMBER.

Track Coastal
14th Mar 2008, 09:12
investions...seriouc...piloce...sorm trropers...magor...Sit

DUMBER and DUMBER
"Pot this is Kettle, radio check" :ugh:

(I sincerely hope you have had a really long and really wet lunch and are 'three sheets to the wind', because, if not, your grade 5 teacher is going to be mighty displeased at the end of term spelling test)

Buster Hyman
14th Mar 2008, 09:16
"Kettle to pot, reading you at 5 by 5!":rolleyes:

hellsbrink
14th Mar 2008, 09:20
Prostitution is legal in some states, afaik, but the transportation of hookers across state lines is not. End of.

Now, I'm sure we can find some nice juicy stories about life in Oz if we wanted.

nomorecatering
14th Mar 2008, 11:49
Hers one, search for the story of a Chieftain that made a forced landing at night in a field in western NSW about 10 years ago. 1 Pilot and 9 young women...........and they wernt all sisters. *wink*

Binoculars
14th Mar 2008, 12:48
Is America the Lauging Stock of the World???

All sorts of opinions abound on these pages, some thought-provoking, others a waste of time, but rarely does a post bring attention to itself for its sheer stupidity.

I'm embarrassed, but confident that the rest of the world will not judge all Australians by the rantings of one moron. Every country has them.

Dushan
14th Mar 2008, 16:51
I guess I really don't see why so many yanks view Wall Street as "us vs them". Most Americans have pension plans invested in Wall St., and as the market goes, so goes their pension.

It is the 600lb gorilla in the union hall that nobody wants to talk about.

old,not bold
14th Mar 2008, 20:16
And shame on all of you, don't you have anthing more important to discuss?

No.

Why do you ask?

alph2z
17th Mar 2008, 05:51
Some of my favorite comments on her myspace account and news: :}

- Do you spitzer or swallow ?

- I only have $25, what can you do for me ?

- "Prostitution chews her up and Spitzer out".

aussiegirl80
17th Mar 2008, 12:53
Ok, I'm a newbie on here so forgive me for saying anything out of line but I'm utterly speechless at the way in which this single topic has managed so acutely to polarise people from every angle. Are we not living in a civilised society whereby we can tolerate and accept others' viewpoints, even if we don't necessarily share them?

Granted, this is a topical issue, but that said, the pure sanctimoniousness of some people's opinions is completely astounding. Prostitution is the oldest form of occupation - and while I'm not suggesting it's ever going to rank up there with a scientist seeking a cure for cancer in terms of desirable employment, it is in some places at least, undergoing a metamorphosis in terms of the way society casts its values upon it.

Gone are the days of prostitutes being helpless and pathetic bottom-feeders of society who wound up in the profession by default, to feed a drug habit or because they didn't know any better. The legalisation of brothels has in this country contributed in large part to the new light in which prostitutes are now seen - many recent articles in newspaper and magazine are running features on how 'smart, middle-class girls' from 'good homes' and 'private schools' are turning to this to fund a lifestyle which rising interest rates, unfettered inflation and exorbitant tertiary fees would otherwise render impossible.

I appreciate that my post is taking a new spin on this whole issue, and deviating from the original tone of the post, which alluded in no uncertain terms to the political overtones attached to the actions of an elected official, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this matter. Americans, Britons, Ozzies? Let's hear them.

Thanks for giving me a chance to post and I hope to make more contributions now I'm part of this great site.

Cheers

Dushan
17th Mar 2008, 13:27
aussiegirl80,
welcome to Prune. If you think this is shocking be prepared for a very bumpy ride. Leaf through some of the threads about US Presidential elections, Cuba, Chavez, America bashing you'll see what "polarized" really means.

As for your actual post. I think that most of the folks here have no problem with prostitution itself (including myself who is often accused of being a Bible thumping moralist), however there are laws in US concerning prostitution that make it illegal. It is the breaking of those laws, by a Governor, that makes this subject so acute. Just as Der Shlickmeister was guilty of perjury, and not of using a cigar (albeit Cuban) in inappropriate places, so is Spitzer alleged to have broken a number of laws, many for which he has sent people to jail for.

barit1
17th Mar 2008, 14:10
aussiegirl80, the issue is not prostitution in its usual form, but rather the irony that this individual sanctimoniously pursued and prosecuted businessmen under some of the same law he is now accused of breaking. It's not just being caught with pants down. While Americans may agree or disagree with the seriousness of the crime/noncrime itself, we all agree on the hypocrisy and duplicity he has demonstrated.

The calls for his resignation are based on lack of trust and little else. Good riddance!

Binoculars
17th Mar 2008, 16:17
Joy of joys! A new voice, a questioning voice, an intelligent and articulate voice.

Aussiegirl80, welcome, and I hope you are with us for a long time to come.

airship
17th Mar 2008, 23:55
Imagine being able to have the undivided attention of someone young enough to be your own daughter for greater than 5 minutes. Imagine that she's not a lesbian. And consents to sex. It's priceless...

I jes wanna apologise to y'all in advance, should that particular set of circumstances ever befall me at some stage in the future. :{

PS. I only have a VISA...

aussiegirl80
18th Mar 2008, 08:51
Thanks to everyone for the warm and kind welcome, it's great to be here. I've spent some time reading through the posts over the last few months but this is the first time I've actually posted myself. If I'd known what a warm reception I would encounter, I may well have done it earlier! Thanks to everyone for your heartfelt contributions (whatever your actual opinion might be) and long may it continue, I say - nothing like the power of intelligent debate to learn and grow from.

Capt.KAOS
24th Mar 2008, 15:48
Would you buy a used car from this guy (http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Letter_shows_GOP_operative_informed_Spitzer_0324.html)?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1318/791418113_64c2a7cdc2_m.jpg