PDA

View Full Version : ATPL books which is better Bristols or Oxford

wire12
10th Mar 2008, 18:46
Hello,

Any one know which books are better for the atpl's, the bristol or oxford books. I pefer books that go into great detail like the terver tom books for the ppl. When I done the ppl I had the jermit prets books and tever toms books. I found the terver toms books where a lot better, they go into the subject in much better detail, they go a little further than what's required for the ppl exams.

Any one have any ideas on the atpl books, which is better for understanding the subject and go beyond what is required, so it's not as hard when i have to sit the exams, thanks.

planecrazy.eu
10th Mar 2008, 19:25
There is a thread a few down, and many more on this subject...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317306

I am just guessing that not many people would have purchased both sets, thus cant really say whats better.

However, having picked them both up, to browse, i cant say the Oxford ones might go into a little more detail.

However, Bristol ones seem to be easier to understand, give you more than enough knowledge, and i know more people who have passed with higher marks.

Either way, both have all the material needed to pass, so its a matter of your learning style. I would go for Bristol if i was choosing.

wire12
11th Mar 2008, 16:06
I was taking to some one who had used the oxford books and he said a lot of the stuff you don't have to learn for the exam.

acuba 290
11th Mar 2008, 16:59
depends on math etc. level before you start. i use both Bristol and Oxford. Some things is easy to understand with Oxford, ex. gen nav i use Oxford, but other stuff from Bristol. Bristol is much less text to redad, but you must read everything, understand every word there, other way you don't get it and can not answer progress test. With Oxford is a little bit easier, but more text ;)

captain_rossco
11th Mar 2008, 17:15
Pass Exams = Bristol (Plus all the knowledge you should need on the job)

Pass Exams and Potentially have enough knowledge to begin unmanned space missions form your Garden = Oxford

Oxford takes alot of wading through, I've been there! Bristol is to the point and incredibly well written.

Regards

CR

Philpaz
11th Mar 2008, 17:20
So if you fancy a crack at Virgin Galactic use oxford??:O

wire12
12th Mar 2008, 19:06
I think I'm going to go for the oxford books, but use the bristol question bank.

sawaya
12th Mar 2008, 20:09
forget about the books comparison,when i was at the brush ups at bristol half the class had just scraped through the progress tests what is important to be honest is the brush up courses,the guys at bristol cut all the bull give you what is meant to help you in your career and to pass the exams a more pro active approach,and OH lots of stories from tom as well.